A Daggerfall Fan Returns

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Mosin Nagant

A Daggerfall Fan Returns

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Greetings, everyone.

I've been lurking here for an embarrassing amount of time and decided to finally sign up.

I used to be fairly active on the DaggerXL forums under the name "LordMordecai" back in the day. So if you recognize the name, it's me. Couldn't ditch me that easily.

I'm currently working on a mod to make minor (sometimes major) tweaks to Daggerfall's sprites to remove what I can only assume are rendering errors when they rendered the original models. Things like odd colored pixels, body parts clipping through clothes, artifacts, etc... I actually started this project over a year ago and put it on hiatus. I found AndyPic to be painful to use, so HxD became my sprite editor (and actually served me well!) My major setbacks came with animated sprites. I was able to figure out how the animations were compressed, but editing them in a hex editor was a nightmare. Thankfully with Daggerfall Unity, hex editing sprites is a thing of the past. Once I complete the mod, I'm going to build on it to make an optional no-nudity patch.

Thanks to everyone here for keeping Daggerfall alive!
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

Jay_H

Re: A Daggerfall Fan Returns

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)

Someone called username here on the forums created a nudity removal patch which I'm currently using. I'm curious to see what you'll make, since this is something I've insisted Daggerfall should have :)

username

Post by username »

As you have probably seen, my mod only replaces the sprites containing nudity with ones without it, which isn't perfect. As I have said I do expect someone to make a better mod one day, and this might just be it :D.
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Here are the sprites I changed in a hex editor about 1.5 years ago. Having been done in a hex editor as opposed to actual image manipulation software, they're not perfect, but when I do any sort of proper release, they'll get cleaned up a little. I saw your nudity removal patch and I definitely plan on giving it a go until my sprite replacement is complete. I knew I couldn't be the only one who wanted to have an option like this! :lol:

username

Post by username »

Mosin Nagant wrote:Here are the sprites I changed in a hex editor about 1.5 years ago. Having been done in a hex editor as opposed to actual image manipulation software, they're not perfect, but when I do any sort of proper release, they'll get cleaned up a little. I saw your nudity removal patch and I definitely plan on giving it a go until my sprite replacement is complete. I knew I couldn't be the only one who wanted to have an option like this! :lol:
I always wanted a patch too, I'd been waiting for years, and it never came. My one was just a quick 2 or 3 day thing, and not of particularly great quality, so this is going to be really good I think.

About the second Sprite, I don't really count that as nudity, and therefore haven't removed it (in fact I may well have replaced some with one similar to this(not that I think that you shouldn't remove it)).

And finally, I don't know if you the locations of all the sprites with nudity yet, but if you don't then my mod could be helpful with that.
Check out my patch to remove nudity, it's a WIP but it's coming along quite nicely.

charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I really don't get the nudity / no-nudity thing. What is the obsession with being so PC? Boobs are a perfectly natural thing.

I thought we were becoming more accepting in society e.g. breastfeeding in public is becoming more frequent and less taboo. As long as it isn't overly sexualized then why do you care that there's a few extra flesh coloured pixels in the game?

Mosin Nagant

Post by Mosin Nagant »

username wrote: About the second Sprite, I don't really count that as nudity, and therefore haven't removed it (in fact I may well have replaced some with one similar to this(not that I think that you shouldn't remove it)).

And finally, I don't know if you the locations of all the sprites with nudity yet, but if you don't then my mod could be helpful with that.
Yeah, I've definitely given some thought about the 2nd replacement. My biggest gripe is that she's standing in a pose that already has several variants in Daggerfall already, so it sort of reduces the visual variety of NPCs. She'll probably get left on the cutting room floor. I know which files are the nude NPCs are in, but there are hand full of NPCs I don't know how to find in-game. Also, thanks for the feedback! :)
charlieg wrote:I really don't get the nudity / no-nudity thing. What is the obsession with being so PC? Boobs are a perfectly natural thing.

I thought we were becoming more accepting in society e.g. breastfeeding in public is becoming more frequent and less taboo. As long as it isn't overly sexualized then why do you care that there's a few extra flesh coloured pixels in the game?

Personally, I'm not really offended by pixel nudity. The human body is a beautiful thing. I just prefer not to have nudity in my games. For some it's a personal preference, for others, it could have to do with values or religious beliefs. For me, it's both. It's not so much about being PC, so much as it is adjusting the game to be the way I'll most enjoy it. Beyond that, there's clearly some demand for such a mod by the community, and I enjoy the process of making it. I'm sort of an artsy-fartsy kind of guy (drawing, 3D modelling, making Doom levels, pottery, a little writing), pixel art isn't something I've done much of before, so trying to figure it out and learn how to get the desired result is fun for me. I think the more options people have in the way they play their games, the better. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I support a conservative approach. I want a wide range of people to consider playing Daggerfall :)

I had actually attempted to do some recoloring and retexturing like this a year or two back, but it looked junky. I'm glad yours are turning out much better than mine.