[DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Deepfighter

Re: [DFUnity/Classic] Captions/Subtitles for videos

Post by Deepfighter »

I tried now to make my videos compatible with DFU and followed Daneels steps. It's working locally but just not in the game (when inserted into StreamAssets/Movies). The video won't start and you get a black screen. You can test it perfectly with ANIM0001 (Bethesda logo screen). The French version works ingame, but not mine. The mistake must lie already in the second conversion from .avi to .mp4. Something I could have missed? The audio bitrate was not in every file 160 (was greyed out most of the time), but I can't imagine that this is the issue here. Any clues or ideas?

French version (working)
German version (not working)

I am working and playing with Linux - the same goes with .webm btw
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

You know what? Your "German" MP4 file works perfectly well when I copy it into my folder StreamingAssets/Movies. Ah!

So, whay can I say? Did yo follow the way indicated above in the present subject, or did you follow what I described into my new tutorial?

I checked with Media Info embedded into MPC-HC if there is significant difference between your German file and the one I generated last week, and I found almost no difference into video and audio tracks, just a very little difference in bitrates but no matter.

I don't have a Linux machine, so I cannot test your WEBM here in game.

Is it possible that the folder Movies is not found at all on your PC? Should it be "movies" on Linux and not "Movies"?
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

I asked on our Discord for a cross check on Linux and the result is the same: my videos work fine, and yours do not...!?

May I suggest to produce your videos with Handbrake 1.6.1 and not with new release 1.7.1?

On my side, I will test what's happening if I produce videos with 1.7.1.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

We figured the mistake out. You have to encode the video to Webm with VP8 instead of VP9, which Unity doesn't recognise. Daneel will fix this in his guide to have this corrected to everyone. Thanks again to him for investigating! That's what a community is all about. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online