Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks. Still slowly plugging away and inching towards an official compiled release. I may just skip redoing armor and hit mechanics and recommend users use physical combat overhaul mod with 100% hit chance. That way I could release once I get the parry mechanics setup, which is what I'm plugging away at now (with some distractions coming from creating my Spellbreaker shield expansion sub-mod). Will see how it the balance feels and go from there.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Small update. Pounded out a very simple parry code script. It checks if the player is in their hit frame and if the enemy is in their attack animation state for melee attacks. If so, it blocks all damage, knocks both you and the enemy away from each other a little, and plays a random parry sound. It's been fun playing around with it some. It makes combat feel more real and engaging. I think I will get a hit, just to have the enemy parry it, and vise versa. I found myself having to actually try to work around the enemies counter attacks to not constantly have them parry me.

The shield module is going to be expanded into a bigger module just called something like Ambidexterity mod. It will add shields and weapon parry options in a single mod. Be easier for development and for modders.

Now the hard part, making unique animations for a actual parry button/mechanic using the base loaded textures. I'll get their.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Was able to easily extend the parry system to NPCs too. Now NPCs will parry each other's melee attacks. It's cool to see.

I watched a bat and imp go at it. Every few hits, they would parry and fly back from one another, then go in for another attack.

Also, attack a attack grunt effect to help signal clearly a parry has been done. That combined with the small amount of player push back will make it clear.

Turalyon

Post by Turalyon »

so I'm confused... Is this mod released and available for download/play right now or not? cuz it seems like it's currently hosted on a github page with just it's sourcecode available and no .dfmod file or whatever.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

As explained in previous posts, this is not currently in mod form. I began this project 2 years ago as more of a proof of concept. In order to do the changes I wanted, when I created this, I modified the base script files. Meaning, this is a completely seperate branch of DFU.

You must download the github, load it into unity editor, and play it there or compile it yourself.

In the long run, I am almost certain the features/coding done for Combat Overhaul Alpha will transition over to a stand alone mod file, now that I rebuilt the whole FPS render system for my Ambidexterity mod. Once I release ambidexterity mod version 1, I will move the features created in this older branch into the newer ambidexterity mod.

Merlkir

Post by Merlkir »

Just wanted to say - this looks really nice! Good job.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks so much. Players/fans like you are the reason I work on and release this stuff.

However, This work is no longer in development here, as I have transitioned over to the modding system for this work.

I reconstructed the fps render system within a mod. As a result, I've begun moving this stand alone build/coding features into a mod file. This way, you do not need to do anything other than download and load the mod file to get all these cool new features.

You can track the work under the Ambidexterity Mod. I've just begun work on recreating the animation smoothing for it, like we see here in this stand alone build.

Hoping to have animation smoothing in the mod in the next month or so. Already have put in weapon arc casting to mimic actual weapon physics with weapon recoil.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3948

until it is complete, feel free to use this semi-developed build to hold you over.

FrancoStrider

Post by FrancoStrider »

I like what I am seeing with the animations. I will ask to have a setting to keep the dicerolls on (call me nuts, I prefer them).

TalonTarp

Post by TalonTarp »

Been testing out just the dodge module alot and It's a ton of fun but I'm running into alot of issues. I mentioned on Nexus that i was having trouble with feign being only directional based and not a custom keybind but there's more little things I''m having issues/questions about and am unsure if it's me and my mods and controller setup or if these are actual issues so I wanted to ask you about them here.

1.) - The camera level change seems to only happen if i begin a hard feign. It might just be that feign lowers the camera more when changing directions in quick succession.

2.) - If your in cursor mode and do a dodge your camera lowers underneath the map. I don't know if i would worry about fixing this though since exiting cursor mode or jumping snaps your camera back to your body. This is actually kinda useful since you can peek outside the dungeon for any stray spawn out of the map or into other rooms for navigation/threat assessment. maybe lock it behind clairvoyance or something. and perhaps even make cursor mode not snap you back and only jumping would that way you could look around with the camera.

3.) - Dying from exhaustion mid roll can sometimes cause you to not stop sliding after death even through the dungeon geometry.

4.) - Jumping mid roll cancels all your extra momentum. I would really like it if it would carry over into a well timed jump during a small window in the animation.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at these things in the dodge mod when I get done debugging ambidexterity mod.