Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
daggerdude

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by daggerdude »

https://i.imgur.com/h3O3AfE.png

https://i.imgur.com/HCtpiGm.png

here are three types of shields that can easily be adapted to have a daggerfall arm copied and pasted more or less.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Oh thanks, that is exactly in the area I was thinking. However, I need a full shield, so I can do animations without worrying about cutoffs showing and having to have tons of separate png files to load. I'm not seeing full shields. Those have cut offs.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

olgimpy

Post by olgimpy »

If I have time tonight I'll try to get one together. I'll trade ya for a compiled combat overhaul file :D

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

LOLS, I'm just baiting you along, so I can force you into doing work for me.

I keep getting side tracked. Sorry.

olgimpy

Post by olgimpy »

olgimpy

Post by olgimpy »

Didn't check if the resolution matched the other hand in game, but let me know if it works.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

That is looking great. Let me see what I can do. One thing to consider, you also need a classic style, for those not using Hd sprites. I was thinking about trying an AI down converter to see if I could make whatever images we use line up with original daggerfall.

The idea is an HD sprite and classic sprite version.

Here is the fruits of my work today:

Block animation is setup, with a block hold.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Man, that looks really good!

olgimpy

Post by olgimpy »

Here's a zoomed in look at the low-res version (128x128, shrunk by nearest neighbor) with a bit of noise applied. I was banking on this last step getting it a little closer to the in-game style, but if not then a BigGAN style-transfer approach might do the trick.

If you get to test it in-game and the arm+shield position feels wrong - just let me know. I'd also be happy to make the rest of the shields for this project if this one ends up working out.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Yeah, I think that will work well, style wise. I'll download and mess with it. Should be pretty easy, as it is just two integers that need adjusted in my formulas/code.

Thanks so much, that is a far better image than I could ever do. Keep it up. If we could get one for each shield type, and then material type.

I will also, at some point, need either damaged versions, for shield health values so you know how close to breaking it is. This could be done by either creating a separate png image of the scratches and damage and then overlay that rect on top of the original one and move them in unison. Or you create a png of each shield image based on damage states. The more damage states you want to show, the more pngs will need to be created.

The easiest approach I think would to be trying a simple overlay, that way, you only need a single overlay for every damage state versus every damage state for every shield type.

Also, one last note, make sure, if you could, the file is a png with alpha/transparency background. I rather not crop and put in the alpha transparency backgrounds.

Also, I cannot rotate the rects. They are 2d sprites drawn directly on the GUI HUD; they can only move on X & Y axis over T (Time) axis. To rotate, I would have to create 3d rect objects, assign sprites to them, setup proper view angle for the sprites, attach said setup 3d sprite to the player as the player moves, and then deal with all the issues that pop up during that.

Thank you again for anything you do to contribute.
Last edited by l3lessed on Thu May 21, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.