Grimith streams annotations

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Grimith streams annotations

Post by pango »

LGWI Live! - Daggerfall Historical Reenactor EP 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6h1KPT4cLc
0.10.4, no mods (August 22nd)

Almost 12 hours stream!

44m33s centaur attack across water
46m37s reloading on same place doesn't clear existing monsters (already resolved at the time of recording viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2524&p=29422#p29697)

higher monsters spawn rate (in the wilderness only)?
dragonling spawning in Daggerfall on level 1
Alternate Random Enemy Selection = off (51m15s)

1h7m36s wagon faster than in classic (fixed)

1h9m8s (spell maker) can't hold the mouse button and click down (?)
Okay, tested on classic, if you press left mouse button on a figure, you can increase the figure by dragging the mouse up (and decrease by dragging down)
Would mouse wheel support compensate for that? :) Seems way easier to implement

1h13m20s trying to get a quest from mages guild, got lots of "I had work", basically impossible to get guarding missions (could be normal for lvl 2 apprentice?)

1h22m0s dungeon layers don't fade away as you get close in 2D map

1h36m19s no fatigue loss hanging from a wall? (not sure if it's a thing in classic, just a remark)

1h36m55s climb status not saved (reload => fall)

1h40m54s freeze on exit?

1h46m40s can't drop equipped item directly with REMOVE mode?
(indeed works in classic, but maybe that was intentionally not implemented?)
(intentional: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2633 )

1h49m28s can't pickpocket rats

2h53m32s can't use Y and N keys to answer prompts (can use F to open FIND in travel map though)

2h25m18s lack of big HUD (in the roadmap)

3h2m30s commoner in the streets at 3am

3h11m34s letter delivered indoors?
7h49m15s (again)

3h16m9s no superjump off city walls
Grimith usually does huge jump attempts off city walls, probably some kind of buffered jump

3h20m6s the wonders of not being restricted to 6 save slots

3h29m29s Temple of Mara: tweak reaction rolls to opposite sex? Not sure that's implemented
I noticed in the code that attribute buffs from temple donations was marked as TODO too

3h32m3s Quest B0B00Y00 type: of off => are off (I commited a fix)

3h36m52s enemies still having hard time getting thru doors

3h48m27s teleport spell sound accelerated by teleportation? sounds like a whip/slurp

3h52m20s can't put marks on town maps

4h16m11s plunking arrows out of corpses, good design

4h48m33s some clipping wearing 2 cloaks (formal, then casual)

5h28m37s ghosts and wraiths not translucent (known limitation)

6h32m28s interior of mages guild not reset when exiting out, corpses lying around

6h34m8s npcs spawning on the side or on the back of the player

6h59m13s different mix of humanoid classes in dungeons

7h0m10s encountered stacks of enemies in dungeons (strangely that has not been my experience... recent change?)

7h5m36s do enchanted items "on wear" wear off? Seems very slow at most

7h30m30s almost stuck on a doorway in dungeon

8h31m11s pick giants precious stone, not marked as quest item (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2437&p=28321)

8h37m38s trouble shooting arrows thru an open door (SphereCast too big?). Also, giants can't get thru doors again?
8h39m40s only picking 2 arrows out of corpse. And this time the precious stone is a quest item, go figure

8h46m8s orc not being able to get thru door at the bottom of stairways

8h58m17s can't identify or remove the emerald because it's a quest item

9h3m32s fixed by relaunching Daggerfall Unity (Emerald just disappeared, probably because it's not linked to any quest anymore)

9h6m22s received armor list does not close on select because the material type prevents equipment

9h6m15s could receive all proposed pieces of armor because they couldn't be equipped (I submitted a fix already)

9h17m4s thought about DF vs DFU, after a viewer question

9h27m0s attacked by a rogue in town (hard to tell if it's caused by a quest)

9h46m30s likes to be able to see the exact reputation with each guild

10h10m31s bunny hops when keeeping jump key pressed do not help speedwise

11h18m28s map notes not saved/reloaded (fixed already I think)

11h19m14s miss the 2d map feature were top layers are removed as you zoom in (exists, but you have to be very close, so it's not usable)
Last edited by pango on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Re: Isues seen during Grimith streams

Post by King of Worms »

This is so detailed, thanks for these reports, I really hope the mentioned problems here are being looked upon.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm
3h16m9s no superjump off city walls
Grimith usually does huge jump attempts off city walls, probably some kind of buffered jump
DFU gravity and jumping is already a bit silly, I hope it never gets as moonlike and floaty as classic personally. :)
pango wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm 3h29m29s Temple of Mara: tweak reaction rolls to opposite sex? Not sure that's implemented
I noticed in the code that attribute buffs from temple donations was marked as TODO too
This is implied by the donation blessing column on UESP temple page but in all my experimentation with classic I never once got any blessing so I figured it was probably BS on UESP based on Chronicles or some other source. They probably intended to do it but like loads of other things, never got in.
pango wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm 6h32m28s interior of mages guild not reset when exiting out, corpses lying around
Working as intended, with the scene cache I wrote. They get cleaned up at some point, Interkarma did that bit. They don't just poof out of existence anymore tho.
pango wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm 9h46m30s likes to be able to see the exact reputation with each guild
I did intend to remove that 'debug' info, but I'm thinking recently that it should stay. Thoughts?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm
pango wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm 6h32m28s interior of mages guild not reset when exiting out, corpses lying around
Working as intended, with the scene cache I wrote. They get cleaned up at some point, Interkarma did that bit. They don't just poof out of existence anymore tho.
He did several guarding quests in a row in the same mages guild, and the corpses were starting to pile up...
Which became a pain to find then loot the new corpses.
I think that realistically in a town the corpses would be disposed quickly, and certainly within the day (to prevent risks of diseases).
corpses.jpg
corpses.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Hazelnut wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm
pango wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm 9h46m30s likes to be able to see the exact reputation with each guild
I did intend to remove that 'debug' info, but I'm thinking recently that it should stay. Thoughts?
I find that useful too, but it doesn't match classic. If I had to choose, I'd make that an option.
Last edited by pango on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nope, no option. It can stay. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:26 pm This is so detailed, thanks for these reports, I really hope the mentioned problems here are being looked upon.
Many of these aren't actually problems, are intentional changes, already fixed, already reported, or incorrectly observed. Some of it's just his opinions and reflections. I'm not sure the word "issues" even belongs in the subject for the vast majority of these.

I'm not going to deconstruct each item, but for an example of not a problem, "super jump" in classic isn't a feature, it's a very obvious physics issue. I'm never going to reimplement that on purpose.

For an example of incorrectly observed, bunny hopping does in fact give the player a small forward boost and allow for faster movement.

For an example of already reported, bodies not disappearing after guard quests has an open bug report.

While I appreciate the time Pango puts into these, you guys should all know that I never watch streams and will only very rarely watch short videos. I get maybe a few 30 minute blocks in my day that aren't work and I spend them trying to stay away from screens completely.

If something is a clear bug that needs fixing, I prefer it to have a topic of its own and for that to be the only subject. I will usually ignore topics with the "shotgun" approach like these. I'm only replying to this comment so that I'm being transparent and expectations are managed. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm I did intend to remove that 'debug' info, but I'm thinking recently that it should stay. Thoughts?
I really like this also. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Yeah, I copy/pasted the title from previous similar threads, but I agree many of those are not issues, and were not even qualified as such in stream by Grimith himself...
I'm not sure what would be a more accurate word, I'm a bit tired... astonishment report? I don't know
I changed the title to "Grimith streams annotations", seems more neutral.

And that's not a call to make modifications for each and every entry either, I'm just reporting stuff seen in stream so they can be sorted and discussed, nothing more.

He did two other streams already (4 hours "only" each), but it will take a while to watch and annotate.

What I do remember from joining the 3rd stream though, is that the main real problem he noticed is that fall damage doesn't seem to match classic; It goes too quickly from no damage to deadly damage as height increases...
Last edited by pango on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: Grimith streams annotations

Post by Interkarma »

Agreed, falling damage needs to be looked at. I have this in my mental map to address around the time I look at movement speed and jumping later in alpha.