Shield and dual weapons

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Remak

Shield and dual weapons

Post by Remak »

Hi first off all i want to say sorry for my bad english is not my native language.

I don't know how difficult it will be, but I wish I could see my shield or dual weapons in game
I find it quite immersive if implemented well.
i don't know how block works but a little animation( when success blocking) would be awesome.
for dual weapon no new gameplay mecanics , only for roleplay reasons.

Daggerfall unity is amazing!!! good work

Yagiza

Re: Shield and dual weapons

Post by Yagiza »

Yes, you're right.
The second problem of first person view of the weapon in the hands of the player is that it must swing while walking. Also, there is no animation for weapon switch or arm/disarm. Also, when switching hands, weapon image is not mirrored, which also looks strange.
I think, the best implementation of first person person weapon animation ever was in Witchaven.

Right now Whitchaven sources is open, so we can easily extract first person weapon and shield images and use them in DFU. Later we may try to upscale those images to make it even better.

Remak

Post by Remak »

Whitchaven it's a perfect example what i was looking for.

hopefully someone can make it , i realy dont know anything about moding or programing..

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

Yagiza wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 am Right now Whitchaven sources is open, so we can easily extract first person weapon and shield images and use them in DFU.
This is not correct.
A development snapshot of the game has been leaked by a former employee. This does not make it Open Source. It is unknown who exactly the current owner of the copyright is so it is extremely unlikely the copyrights on these assets would be enforced.
So while technically it would be easy to extract images and use them in DFU, it would also be illegal.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

JorisVanEijden wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:24 pm
Yagiza wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 am Right now Whitchaven sources is open, so we can easily extract first person weapon and shield images and use them in DFU.
This is not correct.
A development snapshot of the game has been leaked by a former employee. This does not make it Open Source. It is unknown who exactly the current owner of the copyright is so it is extremely unlikely the copyrights on these assets would be enforced.
So while technically it would be easy to extract images and use them in DFU, it would also be illegal.
IC.
Anyway, we don't need WH images to implement weapon walk swinging, mirroring and arm/disarm animation.
Also, if someone will draw high-res images of first person weapons, inspired by images, extracted from WH, I don't think it may violate someone's copyright.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

There's plenty of doom art assets from many places, including witchaven; these assets can be used in a mod with attribution under "fair use" and "fan art" usage. If someone complains, one can always remove the offensive content. I've been in the doom community for years using game art from other games for free mods and we never have issues.
Developers don't care that much about 20+ year old games guys. Especially if its some generic game mod on the internet. To be clear, it's only illegal if you're doing this for profit or the owner specifically gives you a cease and desist notice. you'll never get fined, go to jail, ect. for using this stuff in fan content for free.

either way, we're all chawing the fat here until someone actually makes a mod, which honestly in this modern age the stuff I can screenshot from sketchfab is way better than any witchaven asset ever could be. we have a lot of artists here.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Working on this.

Blocking will require reworking the fpsweapon script to a good degree. Currently, the fpsweapon script only is coded for a single sprite rect object. This means if you want more than the single weapon showing and working separately on screen, say a shield to block or a off hand weapon to parry with, the fpsweapon script or the mod built off of it, will have to duplicate and put in a whole separate rect object for that sprite.

On top of that, weaponmanager script will need further expansion to deal with things like trying to attack while the other sprite/animation is doing something.

It's doable, and actually not ridiculously hard, just another time sink thing. However, this is my next large item to work on, after first release. I want to get some form of a block/parry system in.

As for the animations themselves, there is already my combat mod thread and the animation/fps weapon thread discussing this in-depth, with script code explanations, and issues other artists and contributors have brought up. However, I will repeat, we are stuck with the current sprites and 5 frame system until someone provides a completely new set of sprites or 3d models and animations. All I, or others who may work on this at some point, can do is pull existing default frames and use engine offsetting to emulate a higher frame, more modern animation.

I will say, I'm actually not a fan of that games fighting style. It feels much more like a on the rails shooter (Doom with medieval weapons) than the immersive experience daggerfall built.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.