Feature/Mod Request: Turn off Music In Dungeons

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Dagoth Reigns

Feature/Mod Request: Turn off Music In Dungeons

Post by Dagoth Reigns »

I'm currently using the Drafty Secret Doors mod, which signals that a secret door is nearby with a drafty sound clip. In order to make the mod viable I have to turn music all the way down, and after a while I realized I actually like it better when there is no music in the dungeons. It seems to add immersion and a sense of danger.

I don't know anything about modding but maybe if anyone reading this thinks it's a good idea it could be done. Is there a way I can remove all dungeon music by messing with the files? So far, at first glance, it seems too complicated for my limited knowledge of file manipulation.

Thanks! :)

King of Worms

Re: Feature/Mod Request: Turn off Music In Dungeons

Post by King of Worms »

I would download some dfu music pack, and edit the dungeon tracks to have zero volume

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 am I would download some dfu music pack, and edit the dungeon tracks to have zero volume
Wouldn't be enough to replace the dungeons tracks with empty files? :?

I usually create them with notepad, then rename them with the proper name and extension.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Why dont u try that?

Dagoth Reigns

Post by Dagoth Reigns »

I think I figured it out now. Thanks for the help guys.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sharing is caring mate, how u did that? ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This could actually be a useful mod. A semi-popular mod in Morrowind was just a bunch of empty sound files (15, 30, 45, and 60 seconds) to give a break in the music. If you're willing to share it I'm sure there'll be some people to thank you.

Dagoth Reigns

Post by Dagoth Reigns »

For the files I wanted to get rid of I was going to use Firebrand's method of creating a notepad doc, changing it to the sound file name I wanted to silence, and then saving it as a .ogg file and replacing the original. But instead I went a step further and replaced it with some really old and quiet Ultima ambiance music that I downloaded and converted from mp3 to ogg.

Firebrand's method seems like it would work to make them quiet completely, although when tested it through Groove music (my default on this computer for ogg file types) it came up as a corrupted file so I'm not sure if that would cause problems in the unity engine itself. It seems like he's done it before though, from what I gathered from his post.

Dagoth Reigns

Post by Dagoth Reigns »

Alternately, another method I would have used to silence the music would be to open up the file in Audacity and mute the file manually.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, very good. Thanks for the update :)