Shadows settings

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: Shadows settings

Post by pango »

Well, since I think you have the Daggerfall Unity project open in Unity Editor, you can check how the different quality are defined: Edit > Project Settings > Quality

From there when you click on a quality level name, its definition is displayed below, say the shadow cascades in Fantastic setting:
quality settings.jpg
quality settings.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
I'm not sure how to improve those though
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, I will have a look just out of curiosity :)

And btw, any idea where the lightning curve is located? The one which determines the brightness during day night and anything in between.

Id really like to reduce the full bright during the day, create a custom curve lets say. If that might be distributed as a mod, it would be great. But im not sure about that. So maybe have it as a option somewhere.. anything.

Thank you :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The sunlight day/night brightness curve is on game object Sunlight (which is under Exterior > SunlightRig). This has a SunlightManager component attached which holds the curve data. The curve represents overall scale from 6am through 6pm and scales the brightness of sun.

sunlight-curve.JPG
sunlight-curve.JPG (26.65 KiB) Viewed 998 times

This is just a scaling ramp from 0-1-0 though. If you want to change the intensity of the daytime lighting, a better place is to set the colour and intensity of the sun itself. This is the directional Light component on the same SunLight gameobject as above. Change the intensity from 1.0 to say 0.75 and tweak the colour as required.

There's also PlayerAmbientLight component on PlayerAdvanced object. This only contributes a little additional lighting to scene but it all adds up. The param you'd need to change is ExteriorNoonAmbientLight for maximum ambient brightness outside during the day.

And please keep in mind all of this will need to re-tweaked once we shift to Linear lighting and Unity 2019. I'm going to do all that in one hit early next year so that I'm only breaking mods once. I'll give you guys plenty of warning before it happens. :)