Does advanced climbing ignore climbing checks?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Re: Does advanced climbing ignore climbing checks?

Post by mikeprichard »

That would definitely explain why climbing seems so ridiculously easy in DFU, though unfortunately I can't test in classic to compare either. Hopefully someone can and is able to provide some comparable data. It is a shame that Allofich has apparently left the project, as he would have likely been the person to explain whether DFU bases these formulas on reverse-engineered classic behavior; without him around, any changes may need to be semi-educated guesswork.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

I just changed the formulas in ClimbingMotor.cs to increase the frequency of skill checks and lower the minimum chance to 40. It feels much better. Failing over half the time with no skill is totally fair. Even with a modicum of skill, once that chance is over 50 you can eventually get up and over something. This would also need a check to make sure that skills don't raise too fast, as with more frequent checks I assume that means more frequent opportunities for training.

The numbers need to be worked on, for sure. 70% might be vanilla friendly, but it's in no way realistic.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Dunno, I think even a novice climber can get a couple meters but will not get much further. I've been testing these values with various chars and they seem pretty good. Not realistic maybe, but not too forgiving either.

Code: Select all

// minimum percent chance to regain hold per skill check if slipping
        private const int regainHoldMinChance = 20;
        // minimum percent chance to start climbing
        private const int startClimbMinChance = 70;
        // minimum percent chance to continue climbing per skill check
        private const int continueClimbMinChance = 50;
        // minimum percent chance to grab a wall while falling
        private const int graspWallMinChance = 40;
I'm happy to make them more forgiving in DFU to retain that fun that Interkarma was referring to. In that case I will reduce the chances in my Roleplay and Realism climbing restrictions module. I might do that anyway, but i will do it more if these values are increased for the default fun. :D

Guess we're waiting for IK to rule now.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:04 pm I'm looking at this now since I want RR mod to prevent climbing unless player sheathes their weapon.
I concur. However, I think a better solution would be to introduce a penalty for having a weapon out. Different penalties for different weapons. Let's say the penalty for climbing with a short blade was -20, long blade -40, axe -50, so on. Better yet weapon type times weapon weight. Two-handed? Double the penalty. Have a shield out? Again, shield weight times its type. You might be able to climb a wall if you had a small short blade and a buckler and a good climbing skill, but a long sword and steel tower shield forget it.

Being able to set things so that as you start to climb you stow your gear and then reequip it when you get done might be nice. That would add some pucker factor to the end of a long climb. It also adds a realistic reason for thief types to prefer short blades.

EDIT: Any magic bonuses should be applied against the penalty. If it's humanly impossible for someone to climb a wall holding a steel tower shield and a Katana, that does not take into account the boots of spider climb the guy is wearing giving him a +50 bonus to climbing.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.