Daggerfall Unity Crash Report [SOLVED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
JaggedBaLz

Daggerfall Unity Crash Report [SOLVED]

Post by JaggedBaLz »

I'm having a problem, and before I describe it I want to note that I have been playing on this download for a while now and everything was working just fine. Now, I launch the game and I get a black screen with the original blue Daggerfall cursor; and that's really it other than what I find when I open task manager to see that the unitycrashhandeler was open but that's unimportant right?

Here's what I have done about it and nothing worked.

a clean install of daggerfall unity

a clean install of both, only preserving the saves & mods folder in appdata

Running as Administrator the whole time

Other than that. This is all I know and I really hope I can get this working again with the saves I have because I've been exceedingly enjoying this game, so if anyone can lend their expertise and help me I'll be excited to try whatever you think could be the problem.

Best way to contact me is through Discord - JaggedBaLz#2474 (I am open to voice chats with screen share if you want to go through things step by step

BadLuckBurt

Re: Daggerfall Unity Crash Report

Post by BadLuckBurt »

JaggedBaLz wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:23 pm I'm having a problem, and before I describe it I want to note that I have been playing on this download for a while now and everything was working just fine. Now, I launch the game and I get a black screen with the original blue Daggerfall cursor; and that's really it other than what I find when I open task manager to see that the unitycrashhandeler was open but that's unimportant right?

Other than that. This is all I know and I really hope I can get this working again with the saves I have because I've been exceedingly enjoying this game, so if anyone can lend their expertise and help me I'll be excited to try whatever you think could be the problem.

Best way to contact me is through Discord - JaggedBaLz#2474 (I am open to voice chats with screen share if you want to go through things step by step
In the AppData folder, there's an output_log file, are there any errors mentioned in there?
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

To date a black screen has always been permissions or bad game data. Since you're running as administrator, this leads to game data being the most likely cause. Please reinstall using the known-good DaggerfallGameFiles method in steps linked below:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

Be sure to unzip Daggerfall and DFU to separate folders and repoint DFU to the new game data location by restarting setup or editing settings.ini file. You can also delete your settings.ini to force it to restart setup. Topic link above also has information on where to find logs, settings, and saves.

If that doesn't help, providing your output log as BadLuckBurt mentions might help us diagnose further.

JaggedBaLz

Post by JaggedBaLz »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:41 pm
JaggedBaLz wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:23 pm I'm having a problem, and before I describe it I want to note that I have been playing on this download for a while now and everything was working just fine. Now, I launch the game and I get a black screen with the original blue Daggerfall cursor; and that's really it other than what I find when I open task manager to see that the unitycrashhandeler was open but that's unimportant right?

In the AppData folder, there's an output_log file, are there any errors mentioned in there?
https://dropfiles.org/qB1UAggx Here it is

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Code: Select all

DFTFU 1.8.7: SunlightManager: DaggerfallUnity component is not ready. Have you set your Arena2 path?
Have you set your Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity installations in separate folders?

Also, make sure you delete your settings.ini as Interkarma recommended. That's in the same place as your output log.

JaggedBaLz

Post by JaggedBaLz »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:24 am

Code: Select all

DFTFU 1.8.7: SunlightManager: DaggerfallUnity component is not ready. Have you set your Arena2 path?
Have you set your Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity installations in separate folders?

Also, make sure you delete your settings.ini as Interkarma recommended. That's in the same place as your output log.
yes

JaggedBaLz

Post by JaggedBaLz »

deleting the settings.ini worked I just dont have my mods in there despite having the folder in the AppData directory