How does "On Strike" enchant works?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Seferoth

How does "On Strike" enchant works?

Post by Seferoth »

So, i did enchant my Ebony Flail with "Ice Storm on Strike" and "Magicka Leech on Strike", but it does neither Ice Storm or restore my magicka when i attack enemies with it.

Interkarma

Re: How does "On Strike" enchant works?

Post by Interkarma »

"On Strike" will cast spells on the enemy when you hit them with your weapon. In the case of offensive spells like Ice Storm, this will cause some additional damage to the target.

The Magicka Leech spell uses Continuous Damage to Spell Points. It will reduce the target's spell points, it doesn't give you anything in return.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Ok, thanks. So there are no visual effects at all for enchant triggering? Like, i dont see anything happening when i attack enemies. And if it just adds more damage, what is the difference of Ice Bolt and Ice Storm enchant On Strike?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's no visual feedback for spell transfer on strike (in classic or DFU). That would be a nice improvement.

Both Ice Storm and Ice Bolt carry Damage Health effects, they are effectively identical other than target and magnitude settings. Ice Bolt is a single target at range spell and and Ice Storm is an area at range spell. However, "On Strike" enchant is single target only - it doesn't cause area effects to explode in player's face (which probably isn't desirable anyway). It just transfers effect directly to target as if they were only entity caught in spell radius. This means both spells are about the same for this purpose.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Alright, i think i get it now. Thanks for the answer.