Daggerfall Unity API Documentation

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
TheLacus

Re: Daggerfall Unity API Documentation

Post by TheLacus »

Updated API documentation to 0.10.25. All the links to Unity documentation (for example a Vector3 parameter in a method signature) now point to 2019.4 version.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you TheLacus!

MikeDestroy

Post by MikeDestroy »

TL;DR
I'm going to combine some (all?) existing DFU documentation into the API docs using DocFX as a project contribution. Should I continue to discuss this here?

Background
I'm very new here and still have a lot of learning to do. However, I was thinking it would be nice if all of the documentation, especially the mod-related stuff, was rolled into the API reference via DocFX. I am unfamiliar with DocFX, but I've interacted with Sphinx for python in the past. See my first post regarding this for a little more info. I've seen another project integrate all of their documentation into Sphinx with much success. Check out Evennia's docs if you're curious: https://www.evennia.com/docs/latest/index.html

My Idea
I will be forking the repo from TheLacus and attempting to rewrite much of the existing modding documentation (website modding pages and the Modding Tutorial posts) into the DocFX build. Maybe starting today? I'll probably ask a few questions here while I make some progress, if that is OK. There is absolutely no need to hurry for anything I ever ask. My progress will likely be slow.

Again, I'm extremely new here. If there are any important posts or miscellaneous topics that make sense to include with this, then please tell me about them. I'm going to keep the discussion under this post unless I'm told to move it elsewhere. Any pointers for DocFX from someone with more experience would also be greatly appreciated.

MikeDestroy

Post by MikeDestroy »

I made some progress:
I've generally figured out what I'm doing and added a basic structure for the documents that should cover all of the modding topics. This is actually an even larger workload than I thought, so feel free to contribute to my fork ;) (mfreidel/daggerfall-unity-docs) I'll set up a workflow to accommodate this. Otherwise, I can try to get this upstream now if anyone thinks that is a good idea. Note that I'm putting my changes under a new devel branch in my fork and have not built into the included docs/ folder.

Side note:
I couldn't get the docs built on Linux, which is my preferred dev environment. I could only get DocFX v3.0.x installed for some reason. Wasn't using VSCode there either, so I had no way of solving the project before building the docs. I might try again later.

I haven't set up my fork to publish on GitHub pages like TheLacus, so here's a screenshot of my docs build instead:

MikeDestroy

Post by MikeDestroy »

I have my fork published to GitHub Pages now! Viewable here: https://mfreidel.github.io/daggerfall-unity-docs/

The entire Scripting Section (Mod Features page) is basically done. Shuffled around a few things and removed most images, but everything is there. About 50% of my planned documents are complete. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

I think I can handle pull requests on the fork now, but check the GitHub project linked to the repo to make sure I'm not already working on it before contributing.

MikeDestroy

Post by MikeDestroy »

Update:

I've made a lot of progress with moving the existing modding documentation pages into DocFX. However, I just found out that the TEMPLATE V1.11 quest compiler/decompiler is GPL. Since the HTML documentation is included alongside the binary and source, I think I will now assume it is covered under the same license terms. Therefore, I will be deleting all related pages from my fork to avoid license infection by GPL. The repo from TheLacus lacks a license itself, but that's another discussion which I was planning to mention in my pull request.