0.12.14 Cannot import new character from classic daggerfall

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
fuzzydodge

0.12.14 Cannot import new character from classic daggerfall

Post by fuzzydodge »

i try to import na new created character from daggerfall classic into daggerfall unity V0.12.14 and get this
error : Could not open classic save index 0, so than try it with an older existing classic! character :
Could not open classic save index 5 .
my workarround was now to import the new character into Daggerfall unity V0.10.12 (without any problem) and save there and than loading this new savegame into Daggerfall V0.12.14 so now without any problem.
i Dont prove yet if the problem was caused by any mod or so. (i import classic char with a modless V0.10.12 ).

pango

Re: 0.12.14 Cannot import new character from classic daggerfall

Post by pango »

It works with plain 0.10.14 (as I assume you meant).
After a lot of testing, the problem occurs with Roleplay&Realism 0.6 mod.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, that would explain why Hazelnut was unable to import a classic save I gave him a few days back. Nice find Pango!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oh. Darn it. So works with 0.10.14 without my mod?

Hmm, that's really strange. Will investigate this evening.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Yup, works with plain 0.10.14, doesn't work with 0.10.14 and just R&R mod installed.
Literally nothing in the logs.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 pm Literally nothing in the logs.
Well I like to be mysterious... :lol:

Anyway have traced the issue to having added a new location to a region. There's a loop that parses MAPSAVE data and sets discovered locations. Well more accurately it loops DFU locations and check the MAPSAVE data. I made everything consistent within DFU and completely forgot to consider imported classic saves. Obviously this fails for locations that never existed in the classic game. Looking at fixing now, really glad this problem with the world data system was identified so quickly. :)

EDIT: PR submitted https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1641
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for tracking down issue so quickly, Hazelnut. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You know how I hate bugs in my stuff. Damages my ego... lol :)

Also gotta say fuzzydodge, that's two significant bugs you found now! Good effort.

fuzzydodge

Post by fuzzydodge »

Thanx to all to help with the problem and dont forget , there is a workarround so i play newest version with all mods , (exept ironman) , also with roleplay realism and with my importet charcter. So i can play a new started daggerfall without the main quests startet and not getting the letters from lady brisenna, wayrest, sentil and co ;) (witch sucks my rep with them, not to react in time for them) so i can endless play the game without pressure and so any time later start the main quest with the same char on demand :) . Or is there an other way to get an open end Daggerfall ? (i never played it to the end back than , so i faintly remember the game ended with the main quest ?!?
greetings fuzzydodge