Parry Module

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Parry Module

Post by l3lessed »

Now that shield module is done, I have one more aspect of melee combat to add in, weapon parrying. Nothing fancy here yet, other than the concept.

The player can use their weapon to block attacks using one of three differing methods.

DIFFERENT TYPES OF PARRIES
  • One for small off-hand weapons, like a short sword. This will be animated separately from the main attack weapon.
  • The second type will be for large weapons; it will run an animation attack animation at increased speed.
  • The third type will be for attack on attack hits; If you're attacking and the enemy attacks, you will parry the incoming attack with yours, take fatigue in place of damage, and both the enemy and player will move backwards a tiny bit.
I can animate this two ways.

ANIMATION SYSTEMS

I could use my animation management system I created, export and convert a weapon cif to a usable png, and then animate the whole thing with my animation system.

ANIMATION SYSTEM ADVANTAGES
  • easy to setup and run
  • allows for more complex/complicated custom animations
  • ensures smooth movement of texture/weapon during the animation
ANIMATION SYSTEM DISADVANTAGES
  • Current animation manager can only do one png. This limits the animation to one weapon image and breaks from the default 5 image animation rotation system, so it won't match the look of dfbase animation wise. I may be able to code around this though by improving my animation manager.
  • Will require resetting up some basic properties needed for proper fps weapon animation that are already in the fpsweapon script
The other method would be to duplicate the fpsweapon script and then modify the base engine animation system to play the parry animations like I want.

FPSWEAPON SCRIPT ADVANTAGES
  • Will match base DF animation look exactly
  • Many properties and objects will already be setup and coded
  • Doesn't require adding custom pngs to mod.
FPSWEAPON SCRIPT DISADVANTAGES
  • Less complicated animations.
  • animations offsetting/smoothness is limited by engine/user fps.
  • Will have to detangle depulicate object and property code to ensure it doesn't interfere with FPSWeapon or Weaponmanager scripts.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

daggerdude

Re: Parry Module

Post by daggerdude »

looking forward to this!