[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

7.) When equipping a 1 handed weapon without a shield the fist does nothing. would be cool if it could punch.
Are you sure about this? I just tried this, and I was able to swing with my left fist with a mace equipped in the right main hand.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

1.) The bow will not let you aim when you notch an arrow.
Fixed. This was a bug as a result of fixing the drag attack causing screen lock. I forgot to account for the bow attack touching this too.
2.) The bow's attack direction indicator remains onscreen after firing.
Kind of fixed. Updated attack direction indicator to disappear if not in an unsheathed melee attack state. I need to put in an option for individuals that use the offhand bow attacking option built into vanilla.
3.) The default offhand key is the default attack key. This prevents you from attacking unless it is bound to something else.
This was a choice I made. I guess I shouldn't do this in final release. I was trying to force a natural left and right click modern duel wield setup, but if players don't rebind the key, yeah this happens.
4.) Forwards swing does not look anything like vanilla overhead and just sorta seems like the sword is being dropped.
This is a result of the animation smoothing issue. Because the down strike contains so many frames with sprites cut off, I had to steal frames from other attacks, reposition them and then setup the right smoothing lerp data and code, so we could still have a smoothed down attack animation. I will see if I can do other things to maybe fix this, but this is just the issue of how my system brute forces in smoothing using original sprites and some math magic and lerping.
5.) Would really like to see diagonal swings for vanilla input attacks. (nevermind this one, realized this was tied to movement attacks)
Also, with animation smoothing option, there shouldn't be diagonal attacks as of now. I haven't wanted to or had the time to try and see if they can be smoothed out to look good or if it is a futile attempt because of the sprite cutoffs and screen area covered in the attack sprite.
6.) If t all possible I would like to see Hold blocking be combined with parry by tapping block twice to initiate the parry and holding it to block as usual.
Sure, this could be done I guess. So, you can also one weapon parry, even with a shield equipped?
7.) When equipping a 1 handed weapon without a shield the fist does nothing. would be cool if it could punch.
I can't replicate this issue. 1 handed weapons allow me offhand attacks, even with fists.
8.) After trying to block without a shield in offhand and only a fist your weapon defaults to a weird angle off the bottom of the screen until weapon is swung again. It also makes the fist vanish for a moment.
I believe this and all other weird parry animation bugs, especially with fists, have been address with the refactoring of the parry animation routines.
9.) If you bring up the inventory and switch weapons mid swing your camera is locked in place during the weapon swap cooldown. Once completed the newly equipped weapon will swing and camera will be unlocked once more.
Needs fixed. I'll put in something to cancel the current attack and reset attack states if the player pulls of the inventory mid-attack.
10.) 2 handed weapon has the off the bottom of the screen glitch and doesn't seem to have a parry/block animation.
I loaded a game, put on a two handed dia-katana, and I can't replicate this issue. I have parry and it is in the right location. Maybe I debugged this doing something else, and I didn't even notice?
11.) If Penwick papers mod is installed and block is set to LMB we get multiple left hands when throwing sand.
This is a key bind overlap issue. Penwick and I will figure out who needs to address this in whos mod.
12.) Stamina is used even when no impact or parry has occurred. this is especially annoying to lose stamina while opening doors while your weapon is out.
I want this to stop abuse of blocking, but I can put in an option to disable it or reduce stamina cost if not hit.
13.) If turning quickly onscreen attack direction indicator is activated and stuck on that direction until weapon is swung. Even when no weapon is equipped. If using vanilla style swing attack comes out upon pressing RMB.
The indicator should turn off automatically at all times now, unless you are in click and hold click attack modes. The drag direction indicates attack direction, so no need for the indicator on that setting. I want the indicator to show at all times for the other modes, as the player should know at all times what direction they are primed for attacking in. In the long run, I would like to see if I can instead move the default sprite some how to mimic moving into a specific attack stance.
14.)Using classic animations 2 handed swords default to lower position in left hand.
I also can't replicate this. Just loaded a game with classic animations enabled, equipped a two handed war hammer, and I was able to parry and attack all directions without any cut off or lowered positions. Maybe this is a result of the bob system? Do you have it disabled? Maybe I need to zero out some variables if bobbing is disabled. It might be setting weapons to default bob positions, even with bobbing disabled, which would offset it to a different position for sure.
15.) Switching to left hand while holding 2 handed sword makes it freak out and not tell where the sword sprite needs to be for a moment. Also the weapon swings don't seem to display properly.
DO NOT USE LEFT HANDED ANYTHING AT THIS MOMENT OR IT MAY BREAK. It has issues with the animation system, as I need to put in some code to handle the reversal of the sprites when in left handed mode.
16.) Parry with shield automatically does damage instead of just stunning the enemy for a moment. Feels kinda weird.
So the shield mechanics need some more work, but there are two different types of block. A normal block that actives when just holding the shield up and waiting for an attack, and it should do nothing but a tiny amount of push back.
Then there is a bash block, which triggers automatically if the last 50% of the block raise animation gets hit by an enemy attack. This then simulates you bashing them in their open attack stance, which should stun, knock back a tiny bit, and do a small amount of damage.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I pushed an update.

I redid the parry animations. They now smoothly move between bobbing, attacking, parrying, and idle state. The position is directly tied to the current sprite offset position when it ends and begins. I also extended the time of them during the attack, and made them look/feel little more natural and real.

Also, I found a small bug letting vanilla sprites come through on the parry animation when using dream hi-res. I fixed this.

Go at it again and give me another list, and I'll work on it.

I do need to work on the shield system some more, as the animations can be a little wonky and jumpy, even for classic. And the feedback for what is happening isn't the clearest, as I would like.

TalonTarp

Post by TalonTarp »

Wow you work fast! Yea sure I'll give it another go. I thought the buckler option in settings was the difference between parrying with shield and blocking with shield so sorry for the miscommunication on my part. It's so awesome to see Dunny just come in and offer to help on their end and you also being willing to do stuff on yours. I Rarely see creators so willing to work with each other so quickly and kindly. This community is awesome! I'm not the best at bug reports so again i apologize if anything i mention seems like incoherent rambling :lol:
Edit - To help clear up any possible causes from other mods my current modlist is listed in the forum section of the Full controller support thru joytokey daggerfall edition mod on nexus. if any issues i continue to mention don't come up on your end that might be a good list of possible suspects (there's alot of them though <.< )

robertcaseydavis

Post by robertcaseydavis »

Doesn't work with "Hold" attack mode (vs "Click" or "Vanilla). By which I mean you have to keep clicking.

While I was on "Hold" attack mode I had to click several times to get either hand to attack. But when I went back to "Click" mode it worked fine. This is unfortunate because my clicking finger is KILLING me from playing this game, which is why I was on "Hold" mode lol.

Might have to sit this mod out until my finger heals up.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'll fix the hold attack. I thought it was working, but I probably broke it debugging other things.

Probably fix it tomorrow.

Yeah, shields are a little bit of a mess.

If you have buckler mechanics checked, you cant hold up the smaller two shields permanently, but if you block a hit with it, it produces the full bash block affect with damage.

Right now, this affect happens even without buckler mechanics on in the mod.

I need to clean up shields for sure.

TalonTarp

Post by TalonTarp »

Tested with click attacks
While holding 2 swords
Spamming attacks causes animation to freak out and looks weird

Classic animations changes the animation glitch but it's still there, and also the sword on the left Side clips off at the bottom. could be a resolution thing idk mine is at 1280x720

Left hand only does 1 animation and is MUCH slower than right handed attacks when pressing RMB often while mashing left mouse button. seems kinda random, Somtetimes it makes animations spazz out alot.

It also prioritizes left handed attacks, it doesn't let you fluidly use both hands back and forth. if you had it read both in sequence or even made certain combinations do slightly different things that would be really cool. However what it does do Is accept a right handed attack right after if the left handed attack hits. This means spamming both mouse buttons at once will cue a secondary attack form the right hand if the first from the left hand lands which is cool but the left handed attack does seem slower,

Testing With shield
While spamming attack against a wall if you raise your shield at the correct time it still does 2-3 impact sounds against the wall. Possibly a block startup exploit unsure if intended. Could be a trade off between faster attacks and some damage to your weapon for the safety of staying behind your shield when cornering an enemy.

You can't hold cue a shield raise. This makes it a huge pain because of the startup already being so long. You have to wait for the attack animation to end to start your intended input or it just gets eaten/vanishes.

The left hand not working for punches is caused from vanilla attack controls

Holding down the attack key and the block key at once causes shield to spam the end of the block animation with vanilla attack controls.

Vanilla attack does seem to let you switch between each hand attack alot more fluidly and cue attacks slightly but click attacks does not. Left hand still takes priority but lets you swing faster than in click to attack controls.

Unrelated New dodge roll bug you might get a giggle out of. Pausing mid roll causes your camera to go up into the sky. This one scared the hell outta me since I was outside and I thought I was about to drop from the sky after unpausing but thankfully it was only my spirit that left my body and the camera snapped back down to my character.

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully this helps a little bit!

Edit - Turning off head bobbing makes dodges desync your camera from the player and lower you into the ground in this weird way that makes the game act as if the floor is lower than the world. No clip flying back up just drops you back down to where you started.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for all the bug reporting. Busy week with Holiday and a friends birthday. I'll get to looking at the input que system and see if I can make it a smoother and more intuitive. This may also resolve the animation glitching, but I'll look at that too.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Tested with click attacks
While holding 2 swords
Spamming attacks causes animation to freak out and looks weird
Fixed. Had to do with the opposite hand lowering animation overlapping with the attack animation bugging out the timings that compute frames and locations.
Left hand only does 1 animation and is MUCH slower than right handed attacks when pressing RMB often while mashing left mouse button. seems kinda random, Somtetimes it makes animations spazz out alot.
Believe this is fixed and an issue with how the animation coroutine was working. Let me know if it still feels like one is faster than the other.
It also prioritizes left handed attacks, it doesn't let you fluidly use both hands back and forth. if you had it read both in sequence or even made certain combinations do slightly different things that would be really cool. However what it does do Is accept a right handed attack right after if the left handed attack hits. This means spamming both mouse buttons at once will cue a secondary attack form the right hand if the first from the left hand lands which is cool but the left handed attack does seem slower,
I believe I fixed this. I redid the input que system. It will only take a single input every buffer attack period. So, whatever the last attack key you pressed right before your next attack, should take priority. This mimics modern fighters, where you have a certain buffer time or frame time to prime the next attack at the end of the previous one.

I redid my animation routine, so there should no longer be animation frame glitches and attacking between the two weapons should feel uniform.

When it comes to the vanilla control glitches, I'll start digging into these.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Holding down the attack key and the block key at once causes shield to spam the end of the block animation with vanilla attack controls.
I couldn't replicate this, but it will spam the bash attack animation and attack. Is it the bash attack spam your referring to?
The left hand not working for punches is caused from vanilla attack controls
I can't replicate this issue. Both work fine with vanilla attack. Are you rebinding the alternate attack key in the mod settings properly?
Vanilla attack does seem to let you switch between each hand attack alot more fluidly and cue attacks slightly but click attacks does not. Left hand still takes priority but lets you swing faster than in click to attack controls.
Should be fixed with updates to input que code.
You can't hold cue a shield raise. This makes it a huge pain because of the startup already being so long. You have to wait for the attack animation to end to start your intended input or it just gets eaten/vanishes.
Fixed. Now when holding block, it will store that you are holding it, and then activate it on end of attack.

Going to try to find any other issues and drop an update this week.