[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

Here is where I am with slow updates.

I fixed al l previous reported issues I believe.
I also aligned the hit ray arc with animations from beginning to end, so it should line up much better with the weapon sprite position. No more early hits on the front of the animation.
I also fixed a memory leak with my spark systems not destroying themselves. Now they will and not build up in the engine.
The stab attack is much better with alignment and look too. No more hitting things without seeing the weapon. It feels much more like a real stab.
I've also improved the recoil system and animation further. There is now a recoil bounce back effect. The weapon stops for a few frames on hitting an npc to simulate a stuck weapon, and then it will do a pull out that goes faster. If it hits a solid object, it bounces off right away.
I also am improving enemy hit with 0 damage behavior. It will play spark and the enemy will either move or do an attack animation so it seems like they countered your attack visually.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Fren_Doge

Post by Fren_Doge »

Just a heads up that the most recent build for the Ambidexterity mod appears to be broken, or I'm missing something. It's as if it's not even activated, or something failed to load on startup and so the whole mod is inactive.

Here's the steps I took to narrow down potential causes and verify it's (most likely) not my setup causing this.
  1. Tried a simple restart
  2. Tried loading Ambi at the VERY bottom of my load order
  3. Tried loading Ambi at the VERY top of my load order
  4. Tried loading only Ambi by itself
  5. Wiped the current version of Ambi (Deleted all the files to verify there's no issues with overwriting), this worked. Mod functioned as normal on previous version regardless of load order and active or inactive mods.
  6. After verifying it was the current version having a hiccup, installed Exception Monitor and made a new character with only Ambi+Exception Monitor active (Admittedly I have a few quest packs installed, though I doubt those would interfere with this. Wanted to mention that though.)
Exception Monitor threw this at me:
Exception Report [9F3B7177] Daggerfall Unity beta 0.14.5 Windows

An unhandled exception was thrown.

[Description]

Code: Select all

BadImageFormatException: Could not resolve field token 0x04000113, due to: Could not load type of field 'AmbidexterityModule.AmbidexterityManager:animationManagerInstance' (3) due to: Could not resolve type with token 01000047 (from typeref, class/assembly AmbidexterityModule.AnimationManager, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null) assembly:Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:AmbidexterityModule.AnimationManager member:(null) signature:<none> assembly:data-000001A9EFF940A0 type:AmbidexterityManager member:(null) signature:<none>
[Stack Trace]
Thanks for all the mods you put out, fren. I appreciate all the work you do, glad I could break my lurking spree with a post that's hopefully helpful. :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I hear you. This is the result of accidently referring to a script object I didn't use or build into the mod anymore. I'll drop a recent build with a fix tomorrow.

I'm working on releasing another build.

I'm very close to a release version. I finally smashed a frame skipping bug when hitting objects with animation smoothing. No more random weapon frame appearing and disappearing. I also improved the smoothed animations with physical weapons enabled by redoing the alignment, so now it aligns visually throughout the whole animation when detecting hits, and provides feedback in the form of particle system sparks upon a hit.

I also have dumped a ton of time into updating the classic animation system to work better with physical weapon setting. I smoothed out the routine a little for basic animation appearance. I also put in a switch in for the physical weapon setting so classic animations will only shoot a ray out when the frame updates. This will allow me to align the classic animations with the hit detection ray, so each frame update will check for a hit in classic animations and bounce back if detected; it looks much more sensible visually, as the weapon doesn't skip to the closest frame to the hit like before.

I'm now just trying to sort out lining up the hit rays with the classic animation frame position, then release will drop.

Your welcome. I need to get back to my other mods, especially fixing some mod breaking issues in the compass mod.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Release will have to wait to next week.

Building two separate animation systems is getting a little complicated code and logic wise. Nothing like trying to weave modern smoothing lerp code into a classic tick based animation system, construct a arcing hit ray detection system not present, and be able to properly run all the new systems in combination with the old tick based animations too.

Point being, I decided it would be better to break my animation numerator into two separate ones that are called on the attack start. This way, it minimizes unneeded checks in the animation numerator code, improving its performance and stability. It also makes it easier to work on and track down animation issues between the two systems.

However, I should have a stable release, with the new classic animation hit detection system for physical weapons, enemies automatically playing attack animations anytime you hit them but do no damage so it seems like a real duel visually, particle system sparks when hitting objects for visual hit detection feedback, and an improved hit trace alignment with the smoothed animations (It aligns pretty much spot on no matter the place of the hit in the animation).

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I just pushed a release. This is a larger one.

Large Animation & Physical Weapon System Update
  • Fixed the crash caused by accidently including a script object in the mod build that wasn't being used at all.
  • Separated the animation numerator into two. One for modern smooth animations and one for classic 5 frame animations for stability, performance, and debugging optimization.
  • Fixed weapons/hands moving around on first time unsheathing them.
  • Added a frame check for hitting objects and code to stop frame skipping when the hit frame is right before a frame change. No more weapons frame skipping around when hitting objects.
  • Added a custom physical weapons system for classic animations. Now they only shoot out on every frame update, and they align with the individual frame, so the visual hit and sparks line up with the position of the weapon on the screen. This helps the recoil animation look better and stops the classic animation from jumping between frames like before when the hit was detected in between a classic frame update.
  • Spark systems are created properly as a new unity object so they will destroy properly after their play time is over. Stops a memory leak from old spark system objects piling up in the background of the engine.
  • Cleaned up code some, added more comments, and did more refactoring to try and remove unneeded code and checks. It should give a small stability and performance increase.
Please download and let me know if you find any issues.

One thing to know about this build: Enemies will play an attack anytime you hit them and do no damage. The attack should do no damage, if they only attack once. However, if the enemy has multiple attacks, they will use them and the follow ups can damage you. This makes enemies that do multiple attacks much deadlier and harder to deal with. I'll put in an option on next release to disable this, if I can't find a fix soon.

I need to find a way to make the attacks after the first also have no damage or chance of hitting you, but they reset those vars after every single attack.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Small update was pushed.

I removed the enemy counter attack animation when you do 0 damage, because I can't find a way to not have the animation also trigger normal attacks and damage.

For now, when you do 0 damage but hit, the enemy will play a hurt animation but without the blood sprites. This gives it the appearance of making contact, but you didn't actually land a harmful blow.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

So, I'm going to see if I can get in varying sized weapons. If I can set a base offset based on the size adjustment of the sprite, and all my other animation coding holds up, I think I can provide weapons that are of different sizes based on their weapon type.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:49 pm So, I'm going to see if I can get in varying sized weapons. If I can set a base offset based on the size adjustment of the sprite, and all my other animation coding holds up, I think I can provide weapons that are of different sizes based on their weapon type.
That would be awesome, glad you are still at it :)
Btw I have some better GFX for your map mod, will send it to you soon

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks. Still plugging away when I have the time.

I am almost positive I will have a new release with bladed weapons and the axes having differing sizes based on the weapon type. I was able to figure out some basic algebra equations to be able to set the weapon texture size as it is being drawn and then using that number to automatically compute the needed offsets for each frame.

I need to do some testing with animation smoothing enabled to ensure it all translates well, but it appears to be working so far.

Also, if the equation holds up for setting the offset for the weapon size, I'm going to allow users to customize the weapon size in the weapon properties text file, so they can adjust weapon sizes easily , including mod added ones, if the user doesn't like the default sizes I go with.

Also, I plan on going back to the minimap mod after this for some refactoring and bug smashing. There is clearly a mod breaking issue cropping up in it and some of the effects seem to be more script intensive then they should be on systems. Shoot me the updated images and I will store them for using on my next update on it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

:) here are the files, it includes HD icons, main body of the compass 2x, the compass texts and cleaned blood outlines (in the img at the bottom) it will fit the visuals better now
DOWNLOAD https://easyupload.io/lwazjr
01 blood.jpg
01 blood.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
It looks something like this, this is without the cleaned blood (u can see the white outlines)
Untitled-2.png
Untitled-2.png (473.14 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Not sure this is used, but in case it is, this is the 1024*1024 upscale, u can just download the PNG image from here
MinimapMaskTexture.png
MinimapMaskTexture.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3934 times