(MOD) PAPERDOLL - Transparency sorting

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
King of Worms

(MOD) PAPERDOLL - Transparency sorting

Post by King of Worms »

Im quite scared to even start this, because it possible that any change might be even worse than how it is now :lol:

But lets try.

If any part of a paperdoll - for example a armor part - has a smooth outline (so every part of paperdoll in my mod) than this smooth outline becomes transparent in the game. That might be actually a good thing, but as it is now, the transparency IGNORES THE BODY. So it shows the character background. Which can apparently cause some issues.

Ive captured one such issue here, where the chain armor has a lots of smooth lines inside the chains, and instead of the body, you can see the character backgound. Clearly you can see the RED sky, and the DARK mountian in the middle of the body.

Is this how its supposed to work? Might it be possible, that the transparency would show the body, not the char background? Or turn than transparency off?

BUT

This has a power of destroying the looks completely, and that would be a disaster for me, as Ive spend already a year on that paperdoll project. So if we can maybe test how it looks like with the changes implemented, and than decide if thats a good change, it would be ideal. Thats in case theres any room for changes there... if not, than I can live with how it is now, as Ive made the backgrounds in a way this un-desired effect is minimalized...

Thank you for reading and consideration.
Transparency.jpg
Transparency.jpg (126.09 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Interkarma

Re: (MOD) PAPERDOLL - Transparency sorting

Post by Interkarma »

This looks like a masking issue, that's the only time textures should be cut back to background.

Could you please supply me the loose files for those few pieces - body, pauldrons, and cuirass? I'll dig into it when I can.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Interkarma,

here is the save with a dark elf wearing the requested armor pieces, and ofc the armor files as well.

I packed the body, char background, and a face as well, so its 1:1 to what Im seeing here.
Its packed in a format so you can just drop it and merge with the "textures" folder.
Paperdoll test files.rar
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
SAVE33.rar
(188.75 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you mate. :)

Edit: Have made a first pass at this. I can confirm issue isn't related to masking. Rather, the alpha areas are blending with background image instead of layer below (e.g. body). This has the effect of creating red areas fringing the transparent parts of amour.

I'll take another pass at this when I can to see if there's some fix that doesn't break anything else. The paper doll draw stack is kind of fiddly, so no promises at this stage. Will do what I can though to help.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks a lot! .)

Fingers crossed for some output which might improve the looks but not make something else on a different place look worse, thats why I was so reluctant to even mention the issue. As you say, this module appears quite fiddly :lol: