Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Daniel87

Re: Wilderness Overhaul

Post by Daniel87 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:57 am That Always Include setting is saved in your local Unity project settings, not with the mod settings.

Once the mod is done you could add a little documentation so that anyone building this mod knows to change that.

Having seen yours in action, I decided to include an altered version of the default TerrainNature class but its not going to be as advanced as yours. I only want to change the even distribution of the billboards to something more natural.
Feel free to copy whatever you deem useful from my mod. :)
In Julianos we Trust.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Daniel87 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:02 pm Feel free to copy whatever you deem useful from my mod. :)
Well, I think your terrain texturing class should be implemented in DFU's core. When the mod couldn't find the shader before, I just got the bare terrain and I think it looks better than the default texturing. I'm not ripping on the default one either, it does a very decent job but there's a lot more that can be done as long as the code runs fast enough, your mod is proof of that.

I do enjoy just messing around, trying different things so I probably will take more ideas than code from your mod. There is one thing I ended up doing, I'm not sure if you already did this yourself but in case you haven't, I'll share it with you. It's the 8 nature set indexes divided into rocks, plants and trees. I use them to control the distribution better.

Code: Select all

private int[] temperateRocks = new int[]{3, 4, 5, 6};
        private int[] temperatePlants = new int[]{1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29};
        private int[] temperateTrees = new int[]{10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 24, 25, 30, 31};

private int[] mountainRocks = new int[]{1, 3, 4, 6, 14, 17, 18, 27, 28};
        private int[] mountainPlants = new int[]{2, 7, 8, 9, 22, 23, 26, 29};
        private int[] mountainTrees = new int[]{5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 30, 31};

private int[] swampRocks = new int[]{2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10};
        private int[] swampPlants = new int[]{1, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 31};
        private int[] swampTrees = new int[]{12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 30};

private int[] desertRocks = new int[]{2, 3, 4, 9, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24};
        private int[] desertPlants = new int[]{1, 7, 8, 10, 17, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 31};
        private int[] desertTrees = new int[]{5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 28, 30};

private int[] rainforestRocks = new int[]{4, 17, 28, 29};
        private int[] rainforestPlants = new int[]{1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 31};
        private int[] rainforestTrees = new int[]{3, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 25, 30};

private int[] subtropicalRocks = new int[]{3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 23};
        private int[] subtropicalPlants = new int[]{1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 14, 18, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31};
        private int[] subtropicalTrees = new int[]{11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 27, 30};

private int[] woodlandRocks = new int[]{1, 3, 4, 6, 17, 18, 28};
        private int[] woodlandPlants = new int[]{2, 7, 8, 9, 21, 22, 23, 26, 29, 31};
        private int[] woodlandTrees = new int[]{5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 24, 25, 27, 30};

private int[] hauntedRocks = new int[]{1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 17};
        private int[] hauntedPlants = new int[]{2, 7, 8, 9, 14, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29};
        private int[] hauntedTrees = new int[]{5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 24, 25, 27, 30, 31};
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:30 pm
Daniel87 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:24 am I use a custom shader if I remember it correctly, as I had to create my own textureArray to create tiles for edge cases that were not covered in the original TerrainTexturing process.

WOTerrainMaterialProvider <<-- This is where you should find reference to my custom shader.
I think my dumbass never had this mod active in the first place :lol:

I've got it working now but I have to ask, have you tested building this mod or do you just run it in the editor?

I'm asking because to get it to work, I had to manually include the shader in the Project Settings > Graphics under the 'Always include shaders' section. The mod works now, not all the biomes are in yet right?

It looks nice in the temperate climates though so I will record a video of me strolling about there.
Hi,
could be a bit more concrete about how you managed to build the mod? (I was working on mountains a couple weeks back)

I tried including the WOshader under the "Always include shaders' section" like this, but to no avail (the result was the same as when I didn't "always include" the shader - a blank screen when trying to load terrain)
(I am trying to build this fork (it has just some added mountain vegetation code, nothing structural))

Thanks, Happy New Year

P.S.: Do you use discord? If yes, could you pop in into the Lysandus Tomb, to simplify communication? Apparently, the one who gets you to rejoin the server will get a slice of cheddar from JayH himself ;)
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Shapur wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:38 pm Hi,
could be a bit more concrete about how you managed to build the mod? (I was working on mountains a couple weeks back)

I tried including the WOshader under the "Always include shaders' section" like this, but to no avail (the result was the same as when I didn't "always include" the shader - a blank screen when trying to load terrain)
(I am trying to build this fork (it has just some added mountain vegetation code, nothing structural))

Thanks, Happy New Year

P.S.: Do you use discord? If yes, could you pop in into the Lysandus Tomb, to simplify communication? Apparently, the one who gets you to rejoin the server will get a slice of cheddar from JayH himself ;)
Happy new year,

You need to rebuild DFU after adding it to the Always include shaders, the resulting build will have the shader on board.

I'm not quite sure how Daniel plans to tackle this when he's getting ready for release but for now this works. I'll clone your fork and see if that builds before I head off to bed.

I'm happy just being on the forums for now, I'll rejoin the Discord later on. Jay should still give you the cheese though :lol:

------ edit -------

I had no trouble building your fork of the mod, it's working in-game too. I think once you've rebuilt DFU it will work without any hassle.
Last edited by BadLuckBurt on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:09 pm
Shapur wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:38 pm Hi,

Thanks, Happy New Year

Happy new year,

You need to rebuild DFU after adding it to the Always include shaders, the resulting build will have the shader on board.

I'm not quite sure how Daniel plans to tackle this when he's getting ready for release but for now this works. I'll clone your fork and see if that builds before I head off to bed.

I'm happy just being on the forums for now, I'll rejoin the Discord later on. Jay should still give you the cheese though :lol:
Oh, so you need to rebuild whole DFU? Well that sounds like a problem.
Thanks anyways
Link to my github here.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Anybody any ideas what to do, to make this mod not require a custom version of DFU?
I did work on normal DFU a while back.
Link to my github here.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Shapur wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:22 pm Anybody any ideas what to do, to make this mod not require a custom version of DFU?
I did work on normal DFU a while back.
I had a look and Unity doesn't allow compiling shaders at runtime so that's out of the window.

When Unity is built and includes the shader, it ends up in \Daggerfall Unity_Data\Resources\unity_builtin_extra

That file is probably platform dependent, I can share it with you if you're on Windows, that should allow the mod to work fine although it's not a foolproof solution for when this mod is released.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Hmm could this be a versioning issue? I'm asking because Splat Terrain Texturing used to work and now doesn't, and that gets a custom shader from it's mod assets, proof of which is in this line:

Code: Select all

Shader asset = (Shader) SplatMapHandler.mod.GetAsset<Shader>("Standard-FirstPass-HeightBlend", false);
The latest forum post for that mod is about a shader related error.

Real Time Reflections also no longer works on 13.4, I assume that uses custom shaders as well.

Would this explain why Wilderness Overhaul used to work and now doesn't, maybe worth trying building this with an older version of DFU?

I'm having the same issue with a custom shader, everything works fine in the editor but doesn't work when running as a dfmod, I wonder if 13.4 broke the use of custom shaders?

This is all conjecture but thought I'd share anyway.

John Doom

Post by John Doom »

:) I was able to fix this issue, check out this pull request: https://github.com/Shapur1234/daggerfal ... aul/pull/1

Syl

Post by Syl »

Looks like a great improvement as a whole. Could we include it in the game, and if so, how?

Cheers to all who worked on it. :)