Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Cliffworms

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by Cliffworms »

Very interesting, Arneb!

Do you define all those political regions after some of the city states, such as the ones in Arena? I'm keeping a close eye. :D

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Arneb gonna force me to do every single enemy for DEX at this point lol :?

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Cliffworms wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:28 pm Do you define all those political regions after some of the city states, such as the ones in Arena?
While designing Politic.png, I used these two maps as references:

The second one is a quite old, but nice looking and quite famous map from Arthmodeus. I obviously had to adapt positions to the quite modern heightmap I'm using. As I already wrote, everything I did up to this point can be easily modified by changing the corresponding image file.
On top of that, I constantly referred to UESP "Lore" section, thus the final politic map is a mix of old school and modern, but the former had always priority.
Kamer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:22 pm Arneb gonna force me to do every single enemy for DEX at this point lol :?
I really hope so, since what I made (and what I will make) is just an oversized Daggerfall without people contributing with the many skill assets I completely lack.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the exception is the original Iliac Bay area: that as been left as it is in the original game, I just rotated it.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Tamriel's there, now I just need to finish the small islands around it. After that, the fun part starts.

Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Amazing work, Arneb! So, are you making an entirely new world map? Like, will we be able to click on a province and then click again to go to regions within that province and click again to zoom into smaller kingdoms? A brief video demonstration of what you're designing would be great once you get further along in this endeavor. We're all rooting for you!

Also, what are those other islands in the north east? I don't recognize any of them from any maps.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

So, are you making an entirely new world map? Like, will we be able to click on a province and then click again to go to regions within that province and click again to zoom into smaller kingdoms?
To be honest, at least at the beginning I’ve opted for the lazy solution: the new world map is a single image, you can zoom in, zoom out and re-center the map by right clicking. On top of that, I left the vanilla buttons to switch on and off the different kind of location, plus two more for regions and climate areas. You can see it in this image:
Also, what are those other islands in the north east? I don't recognize any of them from any maps.
Not being a lore expert, I had to guess what those could be. I took this fanmade map for good:
But, as I already stated, everything I made up to this point climate-wise, politic-wise and heightmap-wise can be easily altered, thus if I'm wrong it can be corrected.

edelgart

Post by edelgart »

Just imagine,playing on thtat map multiplayer with like a hundred players,dreams come true as they say :D,but being serious i think that the smaller map is better for now,without lyg or other continents,just for realistic goals

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

A hundred players, you say? Let’s see: in Daggerfall, every map pixel is 800x800 metres; the map I’m working on is 7680x6144 pixels, we’re therefore talking of a game area of around 30M km2. If we’re taking only the surface above water level, how much it can be? Let’s say a third of the whole map? That’s 10M Km2, almost as much as the whole of Europe. I doubt a hundred of players would have any chance to randomly meet in such an area :lol:

That apart, for how Daggerfall is structured, I doubt putting out a basic layout of Lyg and Akavir would require more than…a month, maybe? The problem would be how to develop assets for those. In the official lore there’s hardly anything about those landmasses.

edelgart

Post by edelgart »

Not much of a lorebeard but on uesp they ve got a page on lyg,and it ws supposed to be destroyed in previous kalpa,so in the current one it could be completly different from the land of dreugh it's supposed to be making it even harder to decide on lore friendly stuff,akavir at least got some books on it, https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lyg page link for reference

11th_defender

Post by 11th_defender »

Arneb wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:50 am A hundred players, you say? Let’s see: in Daggerfall, every map pixel is 800x800 metres; the map I’m working on is 7680x6144 pixels, we’re therefore talking of a game area of around 30M km2. If we’re taking only the surface above water level, how much it can be? Let’s say a third of the whole map? That’s 10M Km2, almost as much as the whole of Europe. I doubt a hundred of players would have any chance to randomly meet in such an area :lol:

That apart, for how Daggerfall is structured, I doubt putting out a basic layout of Lyg and Akavir would require more than…a month, maybe? The problem would be how to develop assets for those. In the official lore there’s hardly anything about those landmasses.
Do you have any news about how tamriel in daggerfall is going?