Search feature

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Regnier

Search feature

Post by Regnier »

Is it just me or does the search feature on this site kinda suck.

For me it doesnt take many of my searches because the words are "too common."

I was searching "world of daggerfall" but it said too common so i just searched "world" and that was too common too...

Interkarma

Re: Search feature

Post by Interkarma »

PHPBB search is limited to be sure. Try narrowing down your search and using some different keywords.

I've noticed you're creating issues in Help & Support for problems with the forums. This area is for Help & Support with Daggerfall Unity specifically. I'll move these topics to Community.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 pm PHPBB search is limited to be sure. Try narrowing down your search and using some different keywords.

I've noticed you're creating issues in Help & Support for problems with the forums. This area is for Help & Support with Daggerfall Unity specifically. I'll move these topics to Community.
Sorry and thank you

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Here's something that might help. We can use Google search to find stuff on the forums using site:forums.dfworkshop.net in their search field. For example, I enter something like the following into Google search:

Code: Select all

world site:forums.dfworkshop.net
And it finds conversations using search term on the forum URL only. This is defo an improvement over the crummy PHPBB search built into the forums itself. :D

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am Here's something that might help. We can use Google search to find stuff on the forums using site:forums.dfworkshop.net in their search field. For example, I enter something like the following into Google search:

Code: Select all

world site:forums.dfworkshop.net
And it finds conversations using search term on the forum URL only. This is defo an improvement over the crummy PHPBB search built into the forums itself. :D
Didnt see this until now. I didnt think of that! Good idea

Thanks

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Sorry if this is inappropriate but I didn't feel my issue warranted a new thread.

I have a problem getting Enhanced and Eroded Terrain working in my game so I searched in the forum. I used the word 'Enhanced' and the search came back saying that I had to use a word that was between 3 and 14 characters. I thought it was perhaps a glitch in the Matrix so I searched with the word 'Terrain' and the search came back with the same response.

I realise my issue isn't quite the same as the OP but thought that it might be related?

Anyway, I figured I should bring my experience to light.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I can understand why it's so shitty because it could easily bring a big forum to it's knees if the server processed the search queries properly, especially more complex ones.

As Interkarma pointed out, Google is a much better way of searching the forums. The feedback / error message the search function in this forum software gives isn't always accurate either.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Ah, okay doke. I don't use Google - I Duck-Duck-Went a while back. Hopefully, I won't have to use the search function too much anyway.

Thanks for replying. :)

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:39 pm Ah, okay doke. I don't use Google - I Duck-Duck-Went a while back. Hopefully, I won't have to use the search function too much anyway.

Thanks for replying. :)
DuckDuckGo supports that feature too.

https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo- ... ts/syntax/
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Cool beans! Thanks for the link. I've added it to my bookmarks. :)