Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by TheLacus »

Ok, i just checked and doors, as well as first building informations, are already extracted from Model Data before custom model import. I remembered being pretty cautious with this, but you never know.

Anyway I exported building 252 with Daggerfall Modelling, scaled it correctly, imported it again as a mod and transition works fine. I imagine the issue is that doors need to be exactly in the same position, if is just a bit off from the trigger it doesn't detect the collision. Please import the buildings again on a modelling software with the original mesh and check that doors overlap. If it still doesn't work we'll see if there is another problem :)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

TheLacus wrote:Anyway I exported building 252 with Daggerfall Modelling, scaled it correctly, imported it again as a mod and transition works fine. I imagine the issue is that doors need to be exactly in the same position, if is just a bit off from the trigger it doesn't detect the collision. Please import the buildings again on a modelling software with the original mesh and check that doors overlap. If it still doesn't work we'll see if there is another problem :)
Thanks for the looking into it. ;)

All doors are recessed as Ive made them this way -it was an design decision. I could move doors to the "correct" overlap place, but than they would be just flat with all the other walls and it will just look ridiculous....well it will look like on the original model, but than whats the point of doing redesign. Other thing I could do is to increase all the other things around it, aka beef up the walls, but that would than be problematic as all mesh around it would be too much out of the place.

I would ask you, is there any other (code) way to resolve this?

Because, if we just retain this old solution, there will be no new making/modeling any building or any other meshes on which are doors, since you'll always have some slight (or bigger -by design) disposition. In other words, there will be no point in redesigning any building/castle/fort/ruin/graveyard/residence/guild/tavern....etc.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

VMblast wrote:
All doors are recessed as Ive made them this way -it was an design decision. I could move doors to the "correct" overlap place, but than they would be just flat with all the other walls and it will just look ridiculous....well it will look like on the original model, but than whats the point of doing redesign. Other thing I could do is to increase all the other things around it, aka beef up the walls, but that would than be problematic as all mesh around it would be too much out of the place.

I would ask you, is there any other (code) way to resolve this?

Because, if we just retain this old solution, there will be no new making/modeling any building or any other meshes on which are doors, since you'll always have some slight (or bigger -by design) disposition. In other words, there will be no point in redesigning any building/castle/fort/ruin/graveyard/residence/guild/tavern....etc.
Why don't you just make the doors flat with the walls like the game wants.

Then put stones/bricks sticking out around the doors ?
They would still appear to be sticking out, and have that sunk in look which it sounds like your going for, pluss they would be easier to find.

Personally, I like the walls, and they already have stones sticking out all over them.
Don't see why this would be a problem if its just around the doors, and you wouldent have to mess with the wall size at all.
Just my 2 cents....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

AlexanderSig

Post by AlexanderSig »

I have solved this -

How to have working doors without lining your new model exactly to the original position.

1) Go to your modelling software and open up the original mesh
2) You will find a square of vertices where the door will be. Select them, duplicate and separate from the original mesh http://i.imgur.com/cLv8Wkw.png
3) Include this square in your new model as a separate object. Make sure its object origin or rotation does not change.
4) In Unity make sure that collision is set for your door marker and that the rest of your model is not occluding your marker
5) Create a new material. Set shader to Legacy -> Transparent -> Diffuse, leave the texture empty and apply it to your door marker. It should now look like this
Note: it doesn't have to be invisible, you can apply any texture/shader you want.

Feel free to include this in the modding guide on the dfworkshop website :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

TheLacus - thank you for looking into this. Good to see this was being handled properly and issue was one of art alignment.

AlexanderSig - That's a very clever solution with no code required! :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Oh boy, going to be able to go inside the walls soon.
YAY ! :D :D :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@AlexanderSig
Cheers man. ;)

I guess we're going forward than.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

I was pointed out by @AlexanderSig that the top floor door on the Tower Block (corner block) are out of the place and thus dont work with his system.

Actually, now that Im looking at the this Tower Block with the original corner overlay, I dont know what to do. These doors, well Ive redesigned and moved entire section (entrance/stares/pit), and it if I reduce it to the original measures and location, it just brakes a part, its not the same anymore. The original tower is less wider than my redesign and the walls are less thick. If I move this entire section its getting into the walls and if I thin the walls....well there's no stopping there, you have to thin everything than, every section (block)...

The door solution that @AlexanderSig presented is sound to certain point, so its good in short term (some will work, some will not). Obviously if you have a redesign witch is just a little bit off -wider, taller than original, with internal structures shuffled a bit, it brakes a part.

We still need code solution (for the near future), or no one could do anything else than original framing.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

@AlexanderSig
Nice solution, it's on the website now.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very happy to see how this is evolving, slow clap to all ppl involved