Interesting Eroded Terrain

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Freak2121

Interesting Eroded Terrain

Post by Freak2121 »

Latest Version: 1.2

‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌[Github] ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌[Nexus]

This is a continuation/modification of Monobelisk's Interesting Terrains mod. It modifies it with files from my Enhanced Eroded Terrains mod to produce even better terrains. You do not need the original Interesting Terrains mod nor Enhanced Eroded Terrains for this to function properly.

I recommend using this mod in conjunction with Nystul's Distant Terrain mod, Hazelnut's Basic Roads mod, and Daniel87's Wilderness Overhaul mod for the most beautiful terrains possible.

The Basic Roads and Wilderness Overhaul mods are now full compatible, thanks to Hazelnut. Enjoy! :)

emmathepony

Re: Interesting Eroded Terrain

Post by emmathepony »

Great mod, how compatible is it with mods like Real Grass, Block Location, Windmills, New Canon Locations etc.? Basically mods that add/edit new locations to the world map.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

I just checked and it works fine with all of those. However, and this is probably just how the mod is in general, the frame rate when moving between cells with Real Grass is abysmal.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Yeah that happens with me too so I disabled Real Grass, but thanks for the confirmation, I'll add the mod to my list for sure now! :mrgreen:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Good to see a release on Nexus that works with roads. This makes the terrain much more interesting for sure.

Still some refinement of some areas needs to be done though I think, for example these two locations in Wrothgarian Mountains seem a bit crazy! The smaller one looks like it's been built in an impact crater of some kind and the road between them is not one I'd ever want to travel on!
Attachments
CrazyTerrain.png
CrazyTerrain.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4334 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Freak2121 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:48 am I just checked and it works fine with all of those. However, and this is probably just how the mod is in general, the frame rate when moving between cells with Real Grass is abysmal.
Haha, my mod will make this even worse :D
In Julianos we Trust.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

So... I thought it was impossible for me to do much about it, but it turns out I can actually fix those mounds and craters by manually editing their pixels in the deriv map (and their surrounding pixels if necessary). The results are actually quite good.

However, I'm going to need you guys to let me know the name of the location and its province (or if you can, map coordinates would save me a lot of trouble!) for me to fix it. The game world is much too large for me to find everything on my own.

Edit: By the way, does anyone know a way to automate console commands? I'm getting pretty tired of typing in the following every time I restart to see changes:

Code: Select all

tgm
tac
set_weather 0
set_jump 250
set_runspeed 33

hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Is it possible to make lakes at high altitudes now? I ask because it's mentioned in the latest Daggerfall Unity changes that water tile conversion can be handled now by terrain mods (not sure what this means :lol:).

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

hfc2x wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:57 pm Is it possible to make lakes at high altitudes now? I ask because it's mentioned in the latest Daggerfall Unity changes that water tile conversion can be handled now by terrain mods (not sure what this means :lol:).
It's not what you think. :) Plain water tiles are index 0 and are indistinguishable from un-set tiles so to ensure that the location tiles are not overwritten by the terrain tiling, and also by other terrain mods like basic roads. They are usually converted back in DFU code, but since Wilderness Overhaul is trying to use all 64 possible tile values it needs to do this in the mod because otherwise some valid tiles in WO mod are erroneously converted to water.

It's always been possible to make lakes at any altitude by using water tiles. Not sure why you think this is not possible? Unless you mean by only changing the terrain height which, no is not possible. Oceans are auto water below a certain height. Water above that height has to be done by water tiles on the terrain.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Freak2121 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:03 am So... I thought it was impossible for me to do much about it, but it turns out I can actually fix those mounds and craters by manually editing their pixels in the deriv map (and their surrounding pixels if necessary). The results are actually quite good.

However, I'm going to need you guys to let me know the name of the location and its province (or if you can, map coordinates would save me a lot of trouble!) for me to fix it. The game world is much too large for me to find everything on my own.

Edit: By the way, does anyone know a way to automate console commands? I'm getting pretty tired of typing in the following every time I restart to see changes:

Code: Select all

tgm
tac
set_weather 0
set_jump 250
set_runspeed 33
Easiest way would be create your own command in your mod that does all of this for you, though you may not want to release that. :)

I think we can report bad locations on a case by case basis. No idea how many there might be, but that looks great now with your adjustments.