Interesting Eroded Terrain

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
hfc2x

Re: Interesting Eroded Terrain

Post by hfc2x »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm It's always been possible to make lakes at any altitude by using water tiles. Not sure why you think this is not possible?
Oh, I just assumed it was not possible due to this mod causing certain lakes (for example high up in the Wrothgarian Mountains, northwest of The Kingsly Graveyard) as huge craters with water only deep down at the bottom. I assumed it wasn't possible to make the water level rise because I saw some posts talking about limitations in water tiles, but I guess I just misunderstood it all along :lol:.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm It's always been possible to make lakes at any altitude by using water tiles. Not sure why you think this is not possible? Unless you mean by only changing the terrain height which, no is not possible. Oceans are auto water below a certain height. Water above that height has to be done by water tiles on the terrain.
I agree that it's possible but not with the way water is currently determined in the terrain texturing.

All the bodies of water in the original game data are at sea level. The reason we see craters now is because we're dropping from mountain altitudes to sea level in no-time.

Water at higher altitudes can be realised by implementing these 2 things:

1. Alter the original heightdata (either in the DF game files directly or as the heightdata is being read in DFU) to remove those sea levels heights from in-land water.
2. Create an additional 1000x500 image to indicate the bodies of water. This image would be referenced while generating the terrain (heights and textures).

This is just one idea, it would be possible to do it entirely through code as long as you know the map pixel coordinates of the in-land water. The image would just make it easier to manage by giving a visual representation.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:11 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm It's always been possible to make lakes at any altitude by using water tiles. Not sure why you think this is not possible? Unless you mean by only changing the terrain height which, no is not possible. Oceans are auto water below a certain height. Water above that height has to be done by water tiles on the terrain.
I agree that it's possible but not with the way water is currently determined in the terrain texturing.

All the bodies of water in the original game data are at sea level. The reason we see craters now is because we're dropping from mountain altitudes to sea level in no-time.

Water at higher altitudes can be realised by implementing these 2 things:

1. Alter the original heightdata (either in the DF game files directly or as the heightdata is being read in DFU) to remove those sea levels heights from in-land water.
2. Create an additional 1000x500 image to indicate the bodies of water. This image would be referenced while generating the terrain (heights and textures).

This is just one idea, it would be possible to do it entirely through code as long as you know the map pixel coordinates of the in-land water. The image would just make it easier to manage by giving a visual representation.
My mod handles water in a similar manner as original DFU does.
When the heightmap is adjusted and creates water surfaces on higher altitude lakes, I could hack something together like "If neighbouring 4 terrain tiles have the same height as me, paint us as water". That MIGHT work until I find a smarter way to handle their texturing.
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Freak2121 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:24 am
Hey there,

Did you alter the max height of the terrains or in general the height of the terrain? It feels somewhat more flat now.
This caused all the terrain texturing of my mod to dysfunction.
That's the reason I am writing: Are you planning on altering the height in the future again significantly or rather settle with what you have now?
If you settle for as it is now, I will readjust my algorithm for terrain texturing.
Otherwise I will leave it as is for now until your mod is finalized and refrain from making a lot of changes now.

EDIT: Now I get the problem. You changed the MOD UID, which caused my mod to load the wrong algorithm (the one for playing without you mod).
In Julianos we Trust.

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

Ah, my bad. I had forgotten to update the relevant file on Github earlier when you and Hazelnut were working on the compatibility, but did so afterwards. I should have mentioned it. :oops:

Gomi

Post by Gomi »

I am not as technical as the others in this thread but just wanted to add that this unfortunately ended up being my mod bottleneck (I didn't have distant terrain installed or the reflections mod) somehow. I was experiencing mild stuttering and sound glitching, doesn't sound like much but enough to bring me out of the immersion. Mountains/hills as a replacement still runs smoothly.

Looking forward to trying it in future playthroughs!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
GEFORCE GTX 1070 FTW

I downloaded the newest version of daggerfall unity yesterday and installed all mods since then.

Thanks for your hard work on this game all it's a blast with the Unity build and all these cool mods!

Freak2121

Post by Freak2121 »

Interesting. I'll have to look into this, but I doubt that I have the necessary skills to figure out what the issue is or how to fix it. Could you try out the older version on Nexus? If that works better, then the stuttering/poor performance would have to be from the compatibility changes with Basic Roads/Wilderness Overhaul.

Gomi

Post by Gomi »

I tested version 1.1 just now (plus disabled hills/mountains) and no lag issues or music issues in my quick few minute test. Will keep it on during my next full session and let you know. Thanks :)

Gomi

Post by Gomi »

Well just played version 1.1 for a few hours on some mage guild quests - some slight music skipping but so infrequent I'm not really bothered. Something about 1.2 definitely ramped up the lag and skipping for me. I like how it's more subtle than mountains/hills and will be keeping it - nice work :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Freak2121 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:24 am This is a continuation/modification of Monobelisk's Interesting Terrains mod.
Hey,

I tested the mod in the new 0.13.0 version of DFU and it stopped working. That version changed a lot regarding shaders and the post processing.

0.13.0 is currently in a phase meant for modders to test and adjust their mods:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5092

(Edit: removed player.log snipped; was referring to Distant Terrain, not your's).

When you get time, could you please review your mod for 0.13.0? Thanks!

Edit: For now, I'll be using your older "Enhanced and Eroded Terrains" mod with 0.13.x, using a copy of my "arena2" folder. This one works just fine ^^
Last edited by haloterm on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.