MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.7 released]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.2.2 released]

Post by meritamas »

Are you using version 0.2.0, 0.2.1 or 0.2.2? (Asking because I think I fixed that bug in 0.2.1)

I thought I had published the mod only for Windows platforms. Is it possible to use it in Linux as well? (That would be great... - I was planning to upgrade my Unity to be able to generate Linux or Mac too, sometime in the future.)
Jay_H wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:27 am I'm trying this mod out in Linux DFU 0.13.4 and get the following error in the player log, with no other mods enabled:

Code: Select all

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallSkills.GetLiveSkillValue (DaggerfallConnect.DFCareer+Skills skill) [0x00000] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at MTMMM.MMMFormulaHelper.GetSpellLevel1 (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.IEntityEffect effect) [0x0005a] in <0f4e8c5dbbd24badbc0f136880ef395b>:0 
  at MTMMM.MMMFormulaHelper.GetSpellLevelForGame (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntity casterDummy, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.IEntityEffect effect) [0x00000] in <0f4e8c5dbbd24badbc0f136880ef395b>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Formulas.FormulaHelper.CalculateCasterLevel (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntity caster, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.IEntityEffect effect) [0x0000e] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.BaseEntityEffect.SetDuration () [0x0001b] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.BaseEntityEffect.Start (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager manager, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour caster) [0x0000e] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.MagicEffects.IncumbentEffect.Start (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager manager, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour caster) [0x00000] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.MagicEffects.PassiveSpecialsEffect.Start (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager manager, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntityBehaviour caster) [0x00000] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager.AssignBundle (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectBundle sourceBundle, DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.AssignBundleFlags flags) [0x0029f] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager.PassiveSpecialsCheck () [0x00071] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MagicAndEffects.EntityEffectManager.Update () [0x00083] in <45ce8c7efd2144b2b0571e3a18347a8c>:0 
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Whoops, I wasn't aware a new fix came out 3 days ago. I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:09 pm Whoops, I wasn't aware a new fix came out 3 days ago.
That was my bad, too. Haven't posted about the bugfix releases.
Jay_H wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:09 pm I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks.

Please do let me know if there is any particular part of the mod that you like or some new feature that you think could be easily added. I have plans to further develop nearly all mod parts and it would be possible to prioritize parts others are also interested in.

It also seems to me that we are in one of those rare periods when I will be able to put some time into this. Wish I could do this more predictably, but seeing how my time management seems to work, it is very possible that what doesn't get done in this 'session' will have to wait several months. I'm in no rush, but if I can add an extra feature earlier that would make somebody happy, I would be glad to do it.

meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.3.0 released]

Post by meritamas »

0.3.0 released

New spell effects
  • MultiplyProvisions - enables the player to conjure up more of a certain provision that he already has (currently supports Arrows, Rations and WaterSkin)
  • SummonSimpleItem - an override to the classic CreateItem effect: the items conjured up remain permanently, but the conjuration does not always succeed. There is a success multiplier for settlements (if you are in a place where there is plenty of stuff, it is easier to make some of them come to you)
Other new features

Extra-Strong Monsters - one of ten Deadra Lords, Ancient Liches, Vampire Ancients, Werewolves and Orc Warlords have some of their characteristics increased

Please check out the dev posts on the first page of the thread.
Jay_H wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:09 pm I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks.
I'll tag you in just in case.

Jay_H

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.3.0 released]

Post by Jay_H »

This is indeed tempting! I'm going to see if I can jump into DFU these days, just to try this mod out specifically.

I would recommend making the download link much bigger and/or prominent, though.

meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.3.1 released]

Post by meritamas »

0.3.1 released

New spell effects - changes
- SummonSimpleItem will now usually conjure up somewhat damaged items
- Fix Item will now not always return the exact same number of condition points to the target item; there will be a small variability even if the spell parameters would not introduce any (will write a result description message into player.log)

Messages and Debugging
- Player-cast effect level calculation info messages will now only go into player.log, not the HUD (found them to be quite disturbing during gameplay); enemy spells will still be visible on the HUD too if the appropriate option is ticked
- Optimized and further developed debug messaging for Unleveled Enemies part

Bugfixes
- Since a lot of the enemies' characteristics (skills, level etc) is lost at save/load, the 'Unleveling' code needs to be re-run too, each time the enemy is re-generated; this posed several problems; the script will now assign an identifier to each enemy and use it as a random seed to ensure that the same outcome is reached for the same enemy each time (so Save/Load will not reset skills, level etc to pre-mod values); also, processed enemies are marked by increasing their MaxHealth at the end of the process so we can avoid running those parts of the algorithm whose results are NOT lost at Save/Load (mostly: those that involve Items)
- For updated class enemies, the CurrentMagicka and CurrentHealth will be set too (because of the omission, so far only MaxHealth, MaxMagicka was set to the values appropriate to the new level set by the mod)
- TimeAccelerator part will not write a line into player.log on each update (avoids filling spam into player.log)

Warning: the unleveled class enemies code checks for the enemy's (MaxHealth == CurrentHealth) to determine if it needs to do certains things or not. Will not produce correct results on enemies that were already changed by a previous version of the mod - to the best of my knowledge, produces correct results for newly-generated enemies

Please check out the dev posts on the first page of the thread.
Jay_H wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 pm This is indeed tempting! I'm going to see if I can jump into DFU these days, just to try this mod out specifically.

I would recommend making the download link much bigger and/or prominent, though.
Or, you could wait some more till further features are added. If all goes well, 0.4.0 will be released in April or May. This will include some features that are not that difficult to implement at this point but could add value.

Made an attempt to highlight the place the mod can be downloaded from. Thanks for the input.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, that's a much better link. I'm sorry I haven't loaded up DFU since my last report, but when I do, your mod will literally be my first and single priority. I'm very much in favor of things you're adding.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Bug sighted :)

During the playtesting of the Unleveled Class Enemies part of MMM I noticed that sometimes enemies are spawned when the player is resting in dungeon. I've seen two of these who kept attacking but who could not land a hit on player character. Other similar enemies had a decent chance of scoring a hit so I don't think this is normal behavior. I've noticed no significant difference in these enemies' levels/stats/skills that could account for the difference.
Player could hit and eventually kill these enemies, too.

I have several other mods installed and enabled so I don't know where the problem originates from.

As I've noticed no difference in how my mod handles these newly spawned enemies compared to enemies originally spawned when entering the dungeon, I think the source of the problem is elsewhere.

I am giving this an identifier of BUGREPORT/2022-APR-05/1

After recording this report, I will not be devoting any effort specifically to solve the issue (seems difficult and does not seem cost-effective for me to spend my time on it, but) I will try to keep my eyes open and if I spot the source of the problem, I'll consider taking further steps to solve.

meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.4.0 released]

Post by meritamas »

0.4.0 released

New Major Feature - Spell Learning
- You don't buy spells anymore, you learn them. Spell 'merchants' teach spells.
- You cannot attempt to learn a spell if your character's intelligence is less than the spell point cost of the spell.
- On picking a spell from what is on offer, if you are intelligent and skilled enough to master the spell, and not too exhausted (have enough fatigue and spell points), the 'merchant' will offer to teach you.
- In addition to the gold cost, learning the spell will take time and spell points you use up while practicing during instruction.
- Time cost will depend on how difficult the spell is for you at that time (minimum is 24 minutes and a maximum is around 10 hours for spells costing about the same number of spell points as your character's intelligence).
- Fatigue points are subtracted in proportion to the time of instruction.
- Gold cost is also increased, with a flat fee for each hour of instruction finished (so no increase for the easiest spells you can learn in 59 minutes or less but a lot of extra charge for the most difficult spells).

Feature Improvement - Unleveled and Extra Strong Enemies
- Special objects - the names of which begin with MMM - are stored in enemies' inventories to store the random seed used to (re-)calculate the characteristics and item materials etc. of the given enemy (most of these - like skills, health and attributes - are lost during save/load or exit/re-entry into the dungeon etc).
- This way, enemies that have already been processed can be restored to the exact same state (and not a new quasi-random state) each time they are re-loaded.
- These special items are removed on enemy death so the player should notice nothing.

Known issue (potential bug) - Unleveled and Extra Strong Enemies
- I noticed that after exiting a dungeon, the generated 'random encounters' enemies were all or mostly of a level lower than player level.
- This is not supposed to be that way, but I can see no bugs in my code so far: this result is brought about by the code getting random numbers that result in the lower levels most of the time - so this may be an issue with random number generation. Or, some of my code might contain a bug I haven't noticed yet.
- Or, it might just be a random coincidence. More testing is needed.

Please do check out the dev posts on the first page of the thread.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

meritamas

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.5 released]

Post by meritamas »

0.5 released

Feature Improvement - Spell Learning
- Overrides the spell maker window too - while calculating time costs and fatigue costs of creating a new spell, the mod takes into account if the PC is familiar with spells with the same spell target, element and effect (in addition to how the spell casting cost relates to intelligence - this is indirectly influenced by the relevant magic skills too)
- SpellBookWindow purchase mode - while calculating time costs and fatigue costs of learning a new standard spell, the mod takes into account if the PC is familiar with spells with the same spell target and element (in addition to how the spell casting cost relates to intelligence - this is indirectly influenced by the relevant magic skills too)
- Intelligence requirement to learning/creating a spell is waived. Instead, if the calculated training/creation time is more than 10 hours (Intelligence has a big influence on this, but it is no longer a sole limiting factor), the player is dismissed for not being able to master the spell at that time
- learning/inventing a new spell now trains the relevant magic skill too
- revised text on learning a standard spell

Feature Improvement - Unleveled and Extra Strong Enemies
- class enemy stats now depend on enemy entity level (2 point increase every 3 levels)
- random encounters will now generate an enemy level based on a constant figure of 10 (not player level capped to 23)
- better item materials are less likely to be generated (testing revealed that it was 'too easy' to get higher materials)
- processes monsters' equipment too (will set materials to be inline with MMM standards, based on monster level - extra strong monster has a significant level increase set in addition to other buffed characteristics)

This release is available for
DOWNLOAD HERE
Here you can find the dfmod files to add your StreamingAssets/Mods folder.

Please do check out the dev posts on the first page of the thread.