Dark Brotherhood not triggering in Dak'Fron. (13.3)

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
Seferoth

Dark Brotherhood not triggering in Dak'Fron. (13.3)

Post by Seferoth »

I have killed more then enough people and it has been a month and no letter from Dark Brotherhood. This has been a second time when i am in Dak'Fron and not getting the letter from the Brotherhood.

Edit: killed dozens more, rested, loitered and traveled for another month and no letter.

Interkarma

Re: Dark Brotherhood not triggering in Dak'Fron. (13.3)

Post by Interkarma »

The acceptance quest (l0a01l00) can only trigger once and has a 30-day timer attached. You'll need to be present in towns during this 30-day window to receive letter, otherwise quest can expire and you'll never be contacted.

Travelling extensively or otherwise spending that time outside of towns (e.g. dungeon delving for another quest) is one way you can fail the quest and softlock joining DB. This isn't very fun, I agree, but it's how the quest is designed.

I'm happy to take a look at your save if you want to provide one. I'll be able to confirm if quest has actually triggered in your save.

You should also be able to restart quest by copy-pasting below into console.

Code: Select all

startquest l0a01l00
I'd be open to disabling extinction timer in both DB and TG intro quests. This isn't classic, but it will help new players not lose a one-time-only membership offer. Happy to receive feedback on this.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Here is my latest save. I think the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild initiation letters should be on timer. Simply when you fulfill the requirements add the letter to player after 72 hours or so. There is absolutely no reason to miss these letters, its just bad design.

Edit: That's the wrong save, my latest save is like few weeks further than this. I always forget that Save0 is latest not Save 2,3,etc.
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(210.07 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
SAVE2.zip
(358.07 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers. :)

I can confirm you hit the required tally. This is reflected in your save data when the below value is clamped to 100. The DB initiation quest is started at same time.

Code: Select all

"darkBrotherhoodRequirementTally": 100,
When attempting to start the quest manually from your save, the game fails to find an Alchemist in Dak'fron. There supposedly are Alchemists in Dak'fron, so I'd say this is an issue with how DFU locating them in this case. I'll move this to Issues and follow up before 1.0.

To workaround in the meantime - head to a larger region then use the console command above. I was able to start quest normally in both Sentinel and Alik'r Deset, and letter was delivered immediately when starting quest this way (provided I was in a town). You'll need to complete quest in whatever region you used console command in, then return to Dak'fron to keep adventuring.

Thanks for reporting. :)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Thank you for looking in to this, nice to know that the cause was found.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I suspect the same thing can also happen if you try to join Dark Brotherhood on Isle of Balfiera. Perhaps DFU just cannot locate Alchemist in small villages for this quest.