OG view distance

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
FirstBobEver

OG view distance

Post by FirstBobEver »

What I'd like to see is a view distance closer to the original 200m. Retro mode has come a long way and is the only way I play the game, having the option to adjust on the fly has been a great improvement. To me the only thing holding it back from the true retro jank I love, is the view distance.

King of Worms

Re: OG view distance

Post by King of Worms »

I really think that this should be the case. In all other aspects, DFU is made according to vanilla, as close as possible.
Being unable to have the draw distance same as back in the days, is surprising. I would love to see 1:1 distance, than maybe 200% distance and than what we currently have.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey welcome to the forums. :)

While I don't agree it needs to be an option, this should be easy enough to do in a mod. Daggerfall's draw distance is just a combination of short far clip plane and aggressive linear fog. The following few changes create something very close to classic:
  • Adjust main camera farclip=100.
  • Grab WeatherManager and change fog settings to use fogtype=linear, fogstart=60, fogend=100. There are multiple weather profiles (Sunny, Overcast, Rainy, Snowy, etc.) so mod will need to set fogstart and fogend for each one and make sure it looks good.
  • Optional but recommended - grab StreamingWorld and set terraindistance=1 so game isn't loading any more terrain tiles than necessary.
The above produces a draw limit of 100m which is close to classic at max slider. I think Eye of Argonia is around 150-200m. Here's how it looks in game. The DFU screen also has retro mode 320x200 and palettization enabled.

Classic
classic.png
classic.png (20.63 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

DFU (in editor)
dfu.png
dfu.png (355.96 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

Looks fairly close, give or a take some fine tuning. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for input Interkarma :)
I believe someone can make such a mod, it indeed looks like in 1996 with the retromode ON

FirstBobEver

Post by FirstBobEver »

Thanks Interkarma, if it's that simple I think I'll try to make a mod myself. Seems like a good place to start learning.