Ranking Skills

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Consequence of Grace

Ranking Skills

Post by Consequence of Grace »

I am curious as to whether there a resource saying how many uses of a skill will rank it up by one?

Also, I created a Paladin of Stendarr, and so of course she cannot steal, murder or use any Thiefly skills, not even Short Blade. But she can join the Knights of the Dragon, Temple of Stendarr, Mages Guild and Fighters Guild. She has done loads of quests for them and has 100 Rep in all four guilds, but only rank 6 or 7 as her Primary Guild Skills are only 55-ish, The good thing about my Paladin build is Restoration counts for Mages and Stendarr, and Longblade for Fighters and Knights. Blunt can be the second skill for Fighters and Stendarr, Crit Strike and/or Medical for Knights and Stendarr and Mysticism for Mages, and they are all above 37.

But even though she never Sneaks and always moves to face an enemy from the front, her Stealth has gone from 3 to 30 and her Backstabbing from 4 to 7 by level 6.

I'm not sure if this may be a bug that needs to be reported.

When I play an Illusionist/Necromancer/Ninja/Assassin type, I'd be delighted to increase Stealth and Backstabbing this quickly, as they are notoriously slow to rank up without training.

But I never press CTRL for Sneak mode on the Paladin, and I even run through dungeons to try and stop my Stealth increasing. But it seems that normal walking speed is counting as Sneaking when in dungeons, or maybe just approaching an enemy from behind at normal waking speed.

Any hints?

Cheers!

Jay_H

Re: Ranking Skills

Post by Jay_H »

But even though she never Sneaks and always moves to face an enemy from the front, her Stealth has gone from 3 to 30 and her Backstabbing from 4 to 7 by level 6.

I'm not sure if this may be a bug that needs to be reported.

When I play an Illusionist/Necromancer/Ninja/Assassin type, I'd be delighted to increase Stealth and Backstabbing this quickly, as they are notoriously slow to rank up without training.

But I never press CTRL for Sneak mode on the Paladin, and I even run through dungeons to try and stop my Stealth increasing. But it seems that normal walking speed is counting as Sneaking when in dungeons, or maybe just approaching an enemy from behind at normal waking speed.
You can read from the UESP page about Stealth:
Whenever you approach a creature and enter its detection range, your Stealth skill is automatically checked to determine whether the creature successfully detects you and (if hostile) engages you in active combat.
Hence, it will level up regardless of whether you make an effort.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

My Skulduggery mod fixes this by making Stealth only train when you are sneaking specifically to fix this weirdness in vanilla.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

In a way its kinda funny. You have to avoid the monsters to avoid leveling the stealth which would result in super stealthy gameplay :ugeek:
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

maybe 'always sneak' should be a mastery thing

Consequence of Grace

Ralzar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:03 am My Skulduggery mod fixes this by making Stealth only train when you are sneaking specifically to fix this weirdness in vanilla.
Yes, it is pretty weird if that is WAI in Unity. I'm a little surprised by that. She's been sprinting everywhere, so her Miscellaneous skill of Running is more than 50% now. But she specifically NEVER Sneaks at all, ever. And yet it's now over 30% at level 8.

And as she is a Custom Paladin, with Immunity to Disease, Resistance to Magick, Magery 1.5x INT, bonus vs Undead and Daedra and some trivial penalties (she's basically a hybrid Knight and Healer, with buffed Combat and Reduced Healing to compensate), the Difficulty Dagger was quite high, more than 2.5.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! And especially thank you for the heads up on this mod!

I had some mods for older versions of Unity, but forgot to upgrade them for the most recent version. I tend to play for a few weeks a few times a year when I am bored of other things. Making Custom Classes is SO much fun! I like to try and reproduce AD&D Classes, EG Spellsword is Figher-Thief, Nightblade is Mage-Thief etc. So my Custom Ranger is quite different to the vanilla version and my Custom Paladin has quite strict rules.

Like NO Stealth skills (except Critical Strike, which is MISC, but trained to 51).

Cheers!

:D

Consequence of Grace

Ralzar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:03 am My Skulduggery mod fixes this by making Stealth only train when you are sneaking specifically to fix this weirdness in vanilla.
Actually, I used your Races Redone mod in 2020! That's one of those I forget to reimplement. Although, my Paladin is a High Elf and Immunity to Disease is a Paladin Advanatge I choose in the Custom Class Generator. High Elves are classically immune to certain forms of Paralysis even in AD&D, but I don't quite get the Resistance to Disease. I know Wood Elves have that in some versions of Elder Scrolls.

Trying your Skullduggery tonight!

Is there a Mod that fixes the Classes? I cannot live with Burglars being forbidden Leather and Chain instead of Chain and Plate. And Thieves being forbdden Blunt Weapons? A cosh or a sock full of sand is a classic Thief weapon.

Cheers!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Is there a Mod that fixes the Classes? I cannot live with Burglars being forbidden Leather and Chain instead of Chain and Plate. And Thieves being forbdden Blunt Weapons? A cosh or a sock full of sand is a classic Thief weapon.
It isn't everything you're looking for, but there is this: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/215

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Consequence of Grace wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:36 am Is there a Mod that fixes the Classes? I cannot live with Burglars being forbidden Leather and Chain instead of Chain and Plate. And Thieves being forbdden Blunt Weapons? A cosh or a sock full of sand is a classic Thief weapon.
I love Burglars, when I want to play as one I remake the class as custom, but change the "Forbidden Leather" with "Forbidden Chain and Plate".
And I understand your perplexity about "Forbidden Blunt" for thieves, but in Daggerfall blunt weapons are maces, flails, staves and warhammers, so I don't find it illogical.

Jay_H wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:42 am It isn't everything you're looking for, but there is this: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/215
Nice mod idea, but reading the docs I find that most changes are a bit subjective.

Consequence of Grace

Cheers, guys!