Custom Class Advantage/Disadvantage Point Costs

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Consequence of Grace

Custom Class Advantage/Disadvantage Point Costs

Post by Consequence of Grace »

Is there a resource for the number of points each Custom Class Advantage and Disadvantage in DFU actually costs?

I am particularly interested in how much each hp per level above and below 8 costs.

I have an old but excellent guide for the original Daggerfall made by Mark Stinson (EDIT: Actually, this is not from his guide at all, but somewhere else), and he said that 20 hp per level adds +0.75 and 30 hp adds +1.50 on the Difficulty Dagger. But I am not sure if this is correct, as 30 hp and a Disadvantage of -1.5 do not cancel each other out.

And how much for 6 (-2), 12, 17, 25 and so on? It's hard to tell from the Dagger, as "Average" (I assume this is x1.0) is at 8 hp with no Advantages or Disadvantages, and removing 1 hp per level reduces Difficulty a lot more than adding 4 hp increases Difficulty. In fact, 4 hp per level (-4) reduces Difficulty about as much as 30 hp increases Difficulty (+22), while there seems to be no difference between 21 and 22 hp per level.

The scale goes from x0.3 at minimum and x3.0 at maximum, and Average is halfway, but I don't even know if the scale is meant to be logarithmic or not, or if the scales above and below Average are meant to be linear.

Immunity to Magick, for example (according to my source, wherever it comes from), adds +0.75 to Difficulty, but Critical Weakness to Magick lowers Difficuty by -3.5, so they are not at all equivalent in extra and reduced costs. Immunity to Paralysis plus Critical Weakness to Poison does not zero the Dagger to Average, but also increasing hp per level from 8 to 12 does.

So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

:)
Last edited by Consequence of Grace on Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Consequence of Grace

Re: Custom Class Advantage/Disadvantage Point Costs

Actually, I am now thinking that each hp per level over 8

EITHER:

adds 0.068 per hp to the Difficulty Dagger from 8 to 30

OR

adds 0.071 per hp to the Difficulty Dagger from 8 to 21, none for 22, and then 0.071 per hp from 23 to 30 hp per level.

For hp below 8 per level, I think the Diffculty goes down by -0.15 per hp, to get to x0.4.

Anyone know for sure?

Consequence of Grace

Re: Custom Class Advantage/Disadvantage Point Costs

Thanks for that link.

It seems that the numbers there are using a different scale to the ones I have (which were not from Mark Stinson after all, I forget where I got them now).

But even using different scales, they are still mostly roughly equivalent.

DOH

I deleted the rest of what I said as I was seriously in error!

Cheers!

:D