0.13.4 - Advanced climbing mantling continues to peak of roof

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
DunnyOfPenwick

0.13.4 - Advanced climbing mantling continues to peak of roof

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

When climbing a building that has a sloped roof, after climbing over the ledge the pc will continue automatically moving until reaching the peak of the roof.

This appears to be caused by 2 things in ClimbingMotor:
Line 170 registers that the CollisionFlags.Sides are set.
Forward movement triggered on line 504 && (movedForward || !hitSomethingInFront) to maintain contact with climbing surface.

Also, should the logic on line 219 || !touchingSides && !releasedFromCeiling have parentheses? ...even through releasedFromCeiling is currently always false...

Interkarma

Re: Climbing Bug

Post by Interkarma »

This only happens when Advanced Climbing option is enabled. From DFU 0.13.5, Advanced Climbing will be disabled by default in new installs as first stage of deprecating the feature.

The contributor who implemented Advanced Climbing did not stick around to maintain it, leaving me to fix many bugs and support it for years now. I no longer have the time or energy to support this feature, and I'm more inclined to drop Advanced Climbing altogether before 1.0 than to continue supporting it into the future.

Magicono43

Re: Climbing Bug

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:50 am This only happens when Advanced Climbing option is enabled. From DFU 0.13.5, Advanced Climbing will be disabled by default in new installs as first stage of deprecating the feature.

The contributor who implemented Advanced Climbing did not stick around to maintain it, leaving me to fix many bugs and support it for years now. I no longer have the time or energy to support this feature, and I'm more inclined to drop Advanced Climbing altogether before 1.0 than to continue supporting it into the future.
Hey IK, I completely understand how you feel about the Advanced Climbing feature and the headache of continually supporting it as time has gone on. But a few of us were a bit concerned about completely removing the feature, as buggy as it can be sometimes, it does fill an issue that many have with the classic climbing that makes the skill much more useful and the ability to not be required to use magic on every character more viable.

So maybe as a compromise advanced climbing could instead be a somewhat hidden "experimental" feature just as the smaller dungeons feature currently is? Instead of being on full-display in the advanced options menu it can instead be a toggle in the .ini settings file instead?

At least until we can make a proper mod to replace this feature entirely and continue supporting it that way, because at least currently there is nothing to replace its behavior otherwise. Obviously up to you in the end for the official DFU branch, but just wanted to make a point for keeping it as an experimental feature at least until the community can make a proper replacement for it, thanks.

Interkarma

Re: 0.13.4 - Advanced climbing mantling continues to peak of roof

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the feedback Magicono43. I'll stick with just making it not enabled by default for now.

I'll move this into issues in case someone else wants to take a crack at it. Help is always welcome to fix bugs and improve the base game outside of modding scene. If it doesn't gain any traction as an issue, I'll reassess in future.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:40 am Thank you for the feedback Magicono43. I'll stick with just making it not enabled by default for now.

I'll move this into issues in case someone else wants to take a crack at it. Help is always welcome to fix bugs and improve the base game outside of modding scene. If it doesn't gain any traction as an issue, I'll reassess in future.
Appreciate it, I've been busy working various mod ideas of mine and such, but after seeing that this feature is causing some maintainability headaches (and could obviously use some work just in general.) I'll probably be slowly trying to improve this somewhat and maybe putting out a PR here and there to see if it looks like it's getting better with the effort or just getting worse as I mess with it, lol. But thanks for keeping an open mind about it. Looking through the advanced climbing classes, it definitely does "just work", but it is quite the mess in terms of organization at the very least.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I've got a hook-and-rope mod feature coming after the next DFU release drops that should mostly eliminate the need for advanced climbing code.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That sounds cool! In '96 I remember the manual mentioning a rope and actually spent a good amount of time looking for one before it clicked that ropes weren't a thing in the game. :D

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I see it right there on page 45 of the manual under Climbing:
"You must have a rope equipped to climb down. Move forward and you will slowly slide down."

Ralzar's Skulduggery mod provides the equipable rope.
My mod can create a climbable hook-and-rope attached to a ledge (i.e. 'portable wall').

I think the climbing down (rappel) bit would still have to be in the Climbing motor code.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Well, I guess hypothetically I could swing the player into climbing position if they click on the rope to climb down...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:21 am That sounds cool! In '96 I remember the manual mentioning a rope and actually spent a good amount of time looking for one before it clicked that ropes weren't a thing in the game. :D
Hah, ran into the same problem now when I am making my first attempt at building a dungeon. So many random objects to choose from, but just a stretch of rope? Nope! :D