[Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

[Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

Post by Magicono43 »

Viewable Skill Progress

Shows Your Current Progress To The Next Level For Skills On The Character Sheet Interface Window.

Nexus Download

UPDATE LOG:
  • Version 1.02, 3/21/2022:
    • Text now renders properly while SDF rendering is either enabled or disabled.
    • Added progress bar graphic options instead of only text, the progress text has also been upgraded and made more customizable alongside this
    • Added notification option to give live indication that a specific skill has reached it's threshold necessary to level, both HUD text and audio notification options included
    • Add a large amount of new settings and options for all of the newly added features and mod in general

• Version 1.20, 7/31/2022:
    • For the DFU v0.14.1+ version, the multiple text-box pop-up has been fixed due to a code-base change, this is still present in the 0.13.5 version however
    • Skill mastery now taken into account. Skills that are currently at 100 will be marked with "MASTERED", any that are maxed will be marked "Maxed."

WHAT THIS MOD DOES AND WHY:
  • As the brief overview says. Now, when you open up your character sheet window that shows your current attributes, details and everything. When you click on the 4 types of skills you have (Primary, Major, Minor, Misc) instead of just showing their current level, the window that pops up will now also show what you current progress is to the next level for each skill. The format is by default: Current_Skill_XP / Required_Skill_XP. So whenever Current Skill XP is equal or above Required Skill XP, next time you rest long enough, that skill will increase to the next level and also resetting Current_Skill_XP back to 0, so you can start training to the next required xp threshold.
  • As of the most recent update, there is now also an option to have a more graphical representation of the skill progress in the form of "progress bars" for each skill. They will show up in the same windows as the progress and skill text itself and are fairly customizable in size, position, and color. The text itself has also had the same treatment of more settings and additional ways the text can be represented, not just Current_Skill_XP / Required_Skill_XP.
  • The last feature recently added is a system of "notifications" that will give you an indication when individual skills have reached their required "XP" threshold in order to level. These notifications can be easily turned on and off in the settings. They include both HUD text as well as audio notifications, which are both fairly customizable, especially the audio which gives a selection of 62 clips to choose from the Daggerfall audio-clip library.

COMPATIBILITY:
  • This mod will have compatibility issues with any other mods that also override the "DaggerfallCharacterSheetWindow". In the case that another mod overrides this same window, if you want this one to work you will have to put this one lower in the load order than the incompatible mod (I.E. This mod should be below the incompatible mod, in your mod list.)

Feel free to leave any suggestions and such, I'm very open to anything, and hopefully you find this addition enjoyable or enhances your Daggerfall Unity experience in some way.

Github Source Code: Github

Special Thanks:

Alphaus: For asking for this feature to exist, giving me the initial drive to create this small mod.

Hazelnut: For creating the DFU UIFactory Interface to allow for this mod to override the necessary UI window so this mod could function.

Kab the Bird Ranger: For reminding me that I could override windows with the UIFactory and make this mod work.

BadLuckBurt: For giving advice on how to fix SDF font issue.

Sordid: For giving some good ideas to fix oversights and bug-reports/feedback.

Evildari: For reporting an oversight/feedback.

Thevm: For giving bug-reports and feedback.

Nkrisztian89: For making the DFU code-base pull request so that in DFU v0.14.1+ that the multiple window issue could be circumvented.

DunnyOfPenwick: For helping with the progress bar graphic implementation in code.

TheAlphaWolf145: For giving the initial suggestions to add a live notification system for when skills were ready to increase.
Last edited by Magicono43 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

Post by Magicono43 »

2022_07_24_10_31_55.jpg
2022_07_24_10_31_55.jpg (165.23 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
2022_07_24_10_31_52.jpg
2022_07_24_10_31_52.jpg (201.38 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
2022_07_24_10_34_17.jpg
2022_07_24_10_34_17.jpg (212.55 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Last edited by Magicono43 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sordid

Post by Sordid »

I've always wanted this feature, so thank you very much for making this mod.

As for feedback, it doesn't work terribly well with the classic pixel font: https://i.imgur.com/wsbRWQO.png
Also, it displays progress even for skills that have been maxed out. While that is technically accurate, since it seems that internally the skill use counter keeps increasing and resetting even for skills that are maxed out, it would be more elegant to not display it in that case.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Sordid wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:33 am I've always wanted this feature, so thank you very much for making this mod.

As for feedback, it doesn't work terribly well with the classic pixel font: https://i.imgur.com/wsbRWQO.png
Also, it displays progress even for skills that have been maxed out. While that is technically accurate, since it seems that internally the skill use counter keeps increasing and resetting even for skills that are maxed out, it would be more elegant to not display it in that case.
Yeah, somebody else commented about the retro rendering for the text font, did not consider it initially so I will want to eventually try and fix that. Also for the max level thing I'll try to fix that as well when I get a chance. Glad to hear you like the mod.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Magicono43 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:46 pm Yeah, somebody else commented about the retro rendering for the text font, did not consider it initially so I will want to eventually try and fix that.
Just for when you get around to it. You can check wether the boolean for SDF font rendering is TRUE using DaggerfallUnity.Settings.SDFFontRendering.
Then you'd just have to display it as a long list instead of the two column layout I think unless you think of a way to make it more compact.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:25 pm Just for when you get around to it. You can check wether the boolean for SDF font rendering is TRUE using DaggerfallUnity.Settings.SDFFontRendering.
Then you'd just have to display it as a long list instead of the two column layout I think unless you think of a way to make it more compact.
Thanks Burt, I will take that into consideration when I get to it. I was considering doing that (just checking if the user is using different font rendering) and maybe having a different text token formatting for the default fonts at least. But maybe I can also think of a more elegant way as well, I'm certainly not a text formatting guru by any stretch, lol.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Maybe replace the progress to next level as a small vertical progress bar/graphic, with ToolTip .

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm Maybe replace the progress to next level as a small vertical progress bar/graphic, with ToolTip .
I had considered it, but it's definitely more work than just altered text tokens, but maybe eventually.

Sordid

Post by Sordid »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:25 pm Then you'd just have to display it as a long list instead of the two column layout I think unless you think of a way to make it more compact.
Since the default skill list window opens underneath the new one anyway, one possibility is to remove skill levels from the new one entirely. So you'd first get a list of skills with their progress, then another list of skills with their current level.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Released Mod Update, v1.02:

Fixed some oversights:
- Text now renders properly while SDF rendering is either enabled or disabled.
- Skill mastery now taken into account. Skills that are currently at 100 will be marked with "MASTERED", any that are maxed will be marked "Maxed."

Thanks all for the bug reports, ideas, and feedback.