[Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Magicono43

Re: [Mod] Viewable Skill Progress

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:09 pm It looks like your code isn't going to work with the governing attributes functionality in my mod.

I unfortunately had to use a hack to get it to work, as the CalculateSkillUsesForAdvancement() formula override doesn't pass in the skill like it should, just some numbers that I could have discovered anyway.

I'll probably have to disable Governing Attributes until version 1.0 comes out and that can be fixed.
It should work fine with this mod as far as I can tell. Since there is a setting to enable or disable the visibility of the governing attribute text in the skill progress pop-up at least. And this mod does not override any of those formula such as "CalculateSkillUsesForAdvancement" it does call that at least once.

But I'm guessing you mean that it might not currently work in the Penwick Papers mod due to some bug with that overridable method itself not working as expected?

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

In the base game the CalculateSkillUsesForAdvancement() is only called from the PlayerEntity.RaiseSkills() method, and it iterates over all the skills in order during the same frame.

My hack took advantage of that to figure out which skill was being checked, so I could make my modifications.

If another mod just calls my version once or twice to check a few skills, the hack won't work.

Ultimately, the CalculateSkillUsesForAdvancement() signature needs to be modified to pass the actual skill being calculated for.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Huh, yeah the skill advancement related stuff is a bit weird. Still not sure I understand 100% why it's an issue in this case, but hopefully it can be fixed eventually post 1.0 as you said.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

As far as the tooltip problem is concerned, you would probably have to create a new class that overrides either DaggerfallMessageBox or DaggerfallPopupWindow and move your logic in there to get full access to everything, otherwise additional modifications will be difficult.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:01 pm As far as the tooltip problem is concerned, you would probably have to create a new class that overrides either DaggerfallMessageBox or DaggerfallPopupWindow and move your logic in there to get full access to everything, otherwise additional modifications will be difficult.
I like the idea of the tool-tips, but for how long I've been working on this one update for this one mod I feel like I need to just release it and move on for the time being, otherwise the feature-creep monster comes from under the bed and slaps the shit out of me :P

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I had some free time and felt like messing around with some gui stuff, so I've been working on that skills window for you.
(Moving logic inside of a tailor-made skills window).

I should have it done in the next several hours, by early tomorrow certainly.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:02 pm I had some free time and felt like messing around with some gui stuff, so I've been working on that skills window for you.
(Moving logic inside of a tailor-made skills window).

I should have it done in the next several hours, by early tomorrow certainly.
Cool, I've just been dragging my feet a bit, so you should have plenty of time before I planned on releasing the new version to the public, lol.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Here you go. Seems to work but you might want to do some testing and tweeking.
skillsSource.zip
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Tooltips are now active but just show sample text (well, the bar tooltip shows progress numbers).

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:58 am Here you go. Seems to work but you might want to do some testing and tweeking.
skillsSource.zip

Tooltips are now active but just show sample text (well, the bar tooltip shows progress numbers).
Thanks alot, I'll give it a look tonight if I am up to it! Hopefully all goes well when I do. :P

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I removed a bit more unneeded code and added some additional commented out code in VSPCharacterSheetOverride that might come in handy later.
skillsSource.zip
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Since each column now has its own panel, it should be easier to fiddle with positioning.
You could potentially replace the MultiFormatTextLabel with individual TextLabels, which might allow more positioning options.

Regarding Governing Attributes, it might be better to attach that code to this project instead to avoid technical problems.