[MOD] Transparent Windows

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Macadaynu

Re: [MOD] Transparent Windows

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:52 pm Looking lovely, 50% it is than. And yes, YT can compress that a lot so I will believe you on the details :)

I take it that you already did the vanilla? If you could send me the vanilla windows, or just a TXT list, it would help me navigating my files for all the interior windows textures. Than I would do the 50% transparency on them.

Than I guess I can see, how these transparent windows look in a DFU+DREAM without your mod. If they look the same as without transparency, I can just make this a default DREAM version and if a user adds your mod to DREAM, it will make the windows transparent ingame. That would be almost too good synergy solution?

Thank you for testing and the support
Cool, they may look a bit odd without this mod but see what you think.

There's 2 things you'll need to check if you are creating the materials. You'll need to ensure that 'Alpha Is Transparency' is checked on the image import settings. Mine are configured like this:
Import Settings.PNG
Import Settings.PNG (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

And also you will need to ensure the Rendering Mode is set to 'Transparent' (You're free to do what you like with the rest of the material settings):
Rendering Mode.PNG
Rendering Mode.PNG (43.65 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Below is a list of the texture names, is this ok? Let me know if not,

"009_3-0",
"010_3-0",
"016_2-0",
"028_2-0",
"037_2-0",
"040_2-0",
"044_2-0",
"060_2-0",
"063_2-0",
"066_2-0",
"111_1-0",
"116_2-0",
"128_2-0",
"140_2-0",
"144_2-0",
"160_2-0",
"163_2-0",
"166_2-0",
"171_2-0",
"311_2-0",
"316_2-0",
"328_2-0",
"340_2-0",
"344_2-0",
"360_2-0",
"363_2-0",
"366_2-0",
"411_2-0",
"416_2-0",
"428_2-0",
"440_2-0",
"444_2-0",
"460_2-0",
"463_2-0",
"466_2-0",

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Perfect, thanks a lot for everything, I will get back to u when its done and tested, than we decide on how to move on :)

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

Looks great when it works. I never paid attention, but apparently a lot of houses lack windows even though they are there on the outside. Like you said before, real grass seems to spawn inside buildings as well, and for some reason the wall appears as semi-transparent at the bottom under the window for me, I have bump-mapped textures though.
As a funny note, I had a wraith outside before I went in the tavern, and he clipped through the wall and started attacking me!

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

billyloist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:16 am Looks great when it works. I never paid attention, but apparently a lot of houses lack windows even though they are there on the outside. Like you said before, real grass seems to spawn inside buildings as well, and for some reason the wall appears as semi-transparent at the bottom under the window for me, I have bump-mapped textures though.
As a funny note, I had a wraith outside before I went in the tavern, and he clipped through the wall and started attacking me!
Yeah I've since fixed the issues with NPCs and enemies clipping through walls. In general it's not going to work well with other mods that alter the textures (Although DREAM is being worked on).

I've also since fixed temples and shops, so they will be compatible.

Not figured out Real Grass yet, will have to mark as incompatible with that mod for the time being.

Thanks for testing

PS. Nice to see a fellow Hotkey Bar user :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well, no real grass is a no-go tho :cry: Will wait a bit more until I pour more work into that.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:47 pm Well, no real grass is a no-go tho :cry: Will wait a bit more until I pour more work into that.
Have tried a few workarounds but nothing works well enough so far,

I've contacted TheLacus to see if he can do anything about grass rendering inside buildings, so we'll see if he gets back and go from there.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

billyloist wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:16 am Looks great when it works. I never paid attention, but apparently a lot of houses lack windows even though they are there on the outside.
Yup, unfortunately most buildings don't have interior windows matching the exterior ones. I think that Uncanny fixed that with his Taverns Redone. I'm also matching windows for the temples in Finding My Religion.

Having a transparent windows mod may encourage others to rework buildings to get matching windows, but that'd take a long time to do. There are many buildings in each RMB. :)

Asesino

Post by Asesino »

Hi,
for real grass, the mod accepts a meassage that toggles it on and off. You could try toggling off OnTransitionInterior and back on again OntransitionExterior.

i personally havent tried this, but ive seen the code in Hazelnut’s travel mod.

thanks
a

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

Cliffworms wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:30 pm Yup, unfortunately most buildings don't have interior windows matching the exterior ones.
I'm amazed how Fighter's Guild doesn't have a single window, even on the outside. I know it's supposed to be a tower, but come on, seriously?

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Asesino wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:56 pm Hi,
for real grass, the mod accepts a meassage that toggles it on and off. You could try toggling off OnTransitionInterior and back on again OntransitionExterior.

i personally havent tried this, but ive seen the code in Hazelnut’s travel mod.

thanks
a
Yeah already tried that, unfortunately there is quite a bit of lag when toggling it back on, have tried changing the settings for better performance, but it seems to be quite resource intensive. I also experience this when using Real Grass and Travel Options together after finishing accelerated travel,

Also this is a workaround rather than a fix, ideally it would be best if it just didn't render indoors, but I'll have to see what TheLacus says about that.