[MOD] Transparent Windows

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Macadaynu

[MOD] Transparent Windows

Post by Macadaynu »

I've been working with Carademono to implement Transparent Windows into the game:

This will just be for looking out of windows from indoors, not the other way round

King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Transparent Windows

Post by King of Worms »

Nice job, what are the requirements for it to work with modded textures, like DREAM?

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:00 pm Nice job, what are the requirements for it to work with modded textures, like DREAM?
I'm just overriding the standard Texture files with semi transparency in the glass areas,

We would need DREAM versions of those semi transparent textures, so we could override with them instead

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Really beautiful to look at.

I was wondering, how does the mod interact with interior lighting, vanilla and modded? Are windows a light source (in case it’s daytime)?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

It shouldn't have any affect. If he is doing what I think, which is making the textures semi-transparent and turning on the exterior cell so it can show/render. If this is the case, all lighting should work as intended with transparencies.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok so lets say this texture of the interior window. How should the semi transparency be set up? I mean, does it have to be lets say 50% so it works? What transparency settings you use with the vanilla textures?
116_2-0.png
116_2-0.png (882.43 KiB) Viewed 3650 times

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Wouldn't you just use an alpha value and increase/decrease it on the window area to achieve the level of clarity you want?

Can you use a selection tool, select all the areas where the glass is, and then use a built in color/transparency adjuster and just adjust it to the level of clarity needed.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Here is an example I did with paint.net. I selected a single pane, cut it out, pasted it into its own layer, and then just change the layers base opacity level, and then merged it back down into a single layer and saved.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

One question, I'm not seeing any NPCs wandering around. Are they not working when in an interior with see through windows?

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 pm Ok so lets say this texture of the interior window. How should the semi transparency be set up? I mean, does it have to be lets say 50% so it works? What transparency settings you use with the vanilla textures? 116_2-0.png
I used GIMP, imported the texture, duplicated the layer, then on one layer cut out the glass areas, on the other layer set the opacity to 30%.

Let me make sure I can get it all working properly with vanilla textures first before you start doing all this, I don't want you to waste your time :)