Replacing EN Font (/FONT0003.FNT)

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
AngryKarakuri

Re: Replacing EN Font (/FONT0003.FNT)

Post by AngryKarakuri »

That's a relief then.
Can't wait for it but it'll be worth it. lol
Good stuff. And I know I've said this a couple of times before already, but thank you.

It's usually no support at all or a tiny, tiny chance of getting tremendous help. Ain't the first time I'm making mods but this whole system is still quite exotic to me, so it's definitely a big help getting started in this way. Bless you.

I'll eagerly await v.0.14 and then also make tutorials on how to make font mods yourself. Some more to add to the collection. lol
Gotta push encouragement.

Guess we can close the post then, if there's a button for that. Dunno, still new. Haha

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You're most welcome! :)

I'm just happy we made some progress, even if it doesn't solve problem right now.

Please PM me if things still don't work for you in 0.14 and we'll use this topic to work it out.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

0.14.0 is now available. Unfortunately the test font mod I created isn't working with release generated from cloud build. I definitely had this working in a standalone build + test mod earlier.

I'll revisit this one when I can and try to work out where things are going wrong here.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

OK, I have this sorted now. I'm an idiot btw - times two.

My first mistake was that when I made my test build of 0.14 earlier, I'd forgotten to delete my font asset from the game, so this was built into Resources and of course it worked.

Second mistake was that I should have been using TryGetAsset() to load TMP font asset from mod bundle, not Resources.Load in the first place. This needs a little extra support in core.

I've made a change scheduled for 0.14.1 that lets a mod load a font asset with TryGetAsset() then hand it off to DaggerfallFont via UseSDFFontAsset().

I've tested this again and my font mod is now loading and displaying OK in a build. I'm aiming to have 0.14.1 available early next week (Mon or Tue). I'll loop back and provide an example mod project when this is ready.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The 0.14.1 release with fixes for using custom SDF fonts is now available.

This required an update to the method of font loading and the page on blog is now out of date. Please disregard it, I will need to update this information.

To help you create a custom font mod, I've attached a zip file with an Alkhemikal font mod. This requires 0.14.1 or later and has been tested using the releases now available.

You should be able to follow example in attached mod and script to register fonts to any locale. Default being "en".

Screenshot below is running in a live build. I hope this helps. Good luck!

example-0.14.1.jpg
example-0.14.1.jpg (356.44 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Alkhemikal Font Mod (Builds and Source).zip
(720.29 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:28 am Alkhemikal Font Mod (Builds and Source).zip
Thanks for sharing, the font fits retro rendering mode perfectly.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, that Alkhemikal is a nice typeface. I've since tried some other fonts closer in style to DFU classic, and generally find them very hard to read after a while. I think AngryKarakuri's made a good choice here for their mod.

AngryKarakuri

Post by AngryKarakuri »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:28 am The 0.14.1 release with fixes for using custom SDF fonts is now available.

This required an update to the method of font loading and the page on blog is now out of date. Please disregard it, I will need to update this information.

To help you create a custom font mod, I've attached a zip file with an Alkhemikal font mod. This requires 0.14.1 or later and has been tested using the releases now available.

You should be able to follow example in attached mod and script to register fonts to any locale. Default being "en".

Screenshot below is running in a live build. I hope this helps. Good luck!

example-0.14.1.jpg

Alkhemikal Font Mod (Builds and Source).zip
Hello again! Thanks for the update.
Gonna be looking into this soon enough.
Even nicer that you went out of your way to get it to work even better. lol
Thanks again.

AngryKarakuri

Post by AngryKarakuri »

Hello, sorry a lot of things happened in the meantime. I'm back now. Just figured out that what you posted was an actual full functional mod. Tested it now during this current release of the game and it works totally fine it seems.
Thanks for that!
Just a quick update to let you know that although I was gone, I didn't forget.