How long does it take to become a werewolf?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
MystBunny

How long does it take to become a werewolf?

Post by MystBunny »

How long after infection? What I had done before was travel 30 days out and check for lycanthropy spell, but I'm on a quest and would like to be turned in as little time as possible. The main page says you'll get a dream when you rest, but I've seen elsewhere people saying it took 7 to 10 MORE days (from what I don't know) to get the dream.

So my question is, how long after being struck by a werewolf can I know if I've been infected or not, and how would I know for sure?

Vorzak

Re: How long does it take to become a werewolf?

Post by Vorzak »

UESP Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages is always a good reference for this kind of thing, if you haven't looked there yet.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Lycanthropy

FYI you can't get infected at level 1. As it reads on the site, if you've been infected after being struck by a Lycanthrope (werewolf/wereboar) a dream sequence will play the very next time you rest indicating that you've contracted lycanthropy. After that it will be 72 hours before the disease takes full effect and you become full werecreature with bonuses, abilities and 'curses.' Unless you're using mods that change/interfere with the timing, etc. it won't take longer than that.

My guess, if you didn't get the dream sequence, you didn't get infected. Remember, it's a very small percentage chance of getting the lycan disease when hit by one, it can take some time and a lot of hits.

Metalhead324

Post by Metalhead324 »

Every time you get hit by a werewolf or wereboar, there's a 0.6% chance you'll be infected - so very slim odds as is, and you can't get infected at level 1. If you are infected though, you always get the short dream sequence the first time you rest afterwards. From that, 3 days incubation before you get the spell, the stat and skill boosts, and other effects.

As far as I know, there are no mods that affect the timing or odds of getting infected. Just mods that change the effects once full lycanthropy kicks, and I only know of Ralzar's Lousy Lycans for that.
Vorzak wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:28 am My guess, if you didn't get the dream sequence, you didn't get infected. Remember, it's a very small percentage chance of getting the lycan disease when hit by one, it can take some time and a lot of hits.
Pretty much this. If you're trying to become a lycanthrope, since it's such a pain, save scumming once you encounter one is a valid tactic! A healing spell can also help, especially if you're lower level as they can hit pretty hard at low levels.
Unofficial fan discord server https://discord.gg/NCrDfzSMpz

MystBunny

Post by MystBunny »

Does the dream always happen the first time you rest, even if you rest immediately? I've seen at least one account of someone who didn't get the dream the first time they rested, but got it 7 to 10 days later. Apart from that, I've read just about every guide to becoming a werewolf I could come across, and they all gloss over the details I was looking for. Even found a video that skipped the part I was unsure on. The low odds make it difficult to know for sure in any event.

That said, I did find something. In Daggerfall Unity, it gives you a warning when you try to travel after catching a disease. Even though Lycanthropy doesn't show up on info, it still gives you that warning when you attempt to travel right after being infected. So that's convenient!

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

MystBunny wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:51 pm Does the dream always happen the first time you rest, even if you rest immediately? I've seen at least one account of someone who didn't get the dream the first time they rested, but got it 7 to 10 days later. Apart from that, I've read just about every guide to becoming a werewolf I could come across, and they all gloss over the details I was looking for. Even found a video that skipped the part I was unsure on. The low odds make it difficult to know for sure in any event.

That said, I did find something. In Daggerfall Unity, it gives you a warning when you try to travel after catching a disease. Even though Lycanthropy doesn't show up on info, it still gives you that warning when you attempt to travel right after being infected. So that's convenient!
In fact you need 1 day to receive the dream and 3 more days to get the effects. Day is counted in days not hours and lower meaning if you get the disease at 23:30 then rest 1 hour and you will get the dream. However it is hard to know if and when you have the disease without checking the save file

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Metalhead324 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:36 pm Every time you get hit by a werewolf or wereboar, there's a 0.6% chance you'll be infected - so very slim odds as is
This might sound like low odds indeed, but from my experience, being a level 3-5 character you're almost inevitably bound to contract lycanthropy if you get into a dungeon or two where werevolves/boars are a common monster.

At higher levels, your character is simply too strong for the werecreatures to have a chance at giving you enough scratches.

If you deliberately want to catch it, go to a dungeon with werewolves, and have them attack you as many times as possible, while taking care to heal damage of course.