can't open DFU 0.14.x on macOS

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Arethan

can't open DFU 0.14.x on macOS

Post by Arethan »

I can't open 0.14.0 or 0.14.1 on macOS. When trying to open the app, it simply says
"The app "DaggerfallUnity" can not be opened."

Here's what I found in the log:

Code: Select all

assessment denied for Daggerfall Unity
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.security.assessment.outcome2
com.apple.message.signature2: bundle:UNBUNDLED
com.apple.message.signature3: Daggerfall Unity
com.apple.message.signature5: UNKNOWN
com.apple.message.signature4: 3
com.apple.message.signature: denied:no usable signature
Opening via the context menu does not help (as it otherwise does with apps that are from unknown developers etc.)

I went to /Contents/MacOS/ and opened "Daggerfall Unity" manually (via right-click) to add an exception, but that didn't help.

Daggerfall 0.13.5 can be opened without problems.

macOS 12.4 "Monterey", Intel Mac

Interkarma

Re: can't open DFU 0.14.x on macOS

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

I just responded to this on Discord as well. I also observed this trouble on my Mac when extracting using the default "Archive Utility". I didn't have the same trouble when extracting using "The Unarchiver" and right-click > Open worked as expected.

I'm not a frequent Mac user and honestly thought this was typical. The zips are generated by Unity Cloud Build, so not sure why they'd have troubles only now.

Edit: Screenshot to help explain what I mean. If I unzip using the default "Archive Utility", I can't open the .app no matter what. But when I unzip using another tool like "The Unarchiver" I can right click > Open normally.

archiver.JPG
archiver.JPG (19.12 KiB) Viewed 716 times

I honestly don't know why, I'm very new to Macs and just assumed this was something you folks had always had to deal with. :)

Arethan

Post by Arethan »

Thank you! Unzipping the archive with Keka or ForkLift does indeed give me an .app that works without problems.

I'm a frequent Mac user, but I never had such a combination before – so I didn't expect this at all :shock:

I just re-dowloaded the 0.13.5 to be extra sure that I didn't accidentally unzip that with other tools before, and I can confirm that dfu_mac_universal-v0.13.5-beta.zip unzips without problems and produces a usable .app package when using the default Archive Utility.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I wonder if it's because I remove a couple of junk files that cloud build has only just started inserting. I did this on Windows and it might leave the zip in a state the default unarchiver has trouble with.

Give me a minute and I'll post a link to the raw zip generated by cloud build. Let's see if that has same problem.

Edit: Link to the raw zip output from Unity Cloud Build for 0.14.1 Mac Universal below. In git release, I cleaned up the folder "DaggerfallUnity_BurstDebugInformation_DoNotShip" and file ".release.yml" which aren't needed for the actual build. Unity Cloud Build has only just started adding these files.

https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/sha ... ZJ5iotVHLu

Edit2: Yeah, I can open that on Mac. Removing those two junk files must bork the zip somehow for Mac. I'll try to work out exactly what causes this and re-upload.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, now I know it's not normal. :)

Arethan

Post by Arethan »

Can confirm – the zip from your link works fine with the Archive Utility on my end as well. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks again. I've reuploaded release as just the raw zip from Cloud Build with a rename only, and tested it opens OK with default unarchiver.

This still has the "burst do not ship" folder and .yml file, but these don't affect anything. It's just a bit untidy. Still, better that than people have troubles opening at all.

I'll try to pinpoint the exact cause for 0.14.2 release.