Daggerfall Enemy Expansion [Released]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: Daggerfall Enemy Expansion [Released]

Post by Kamer »

MrFlibble wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:45 pm
Kamer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:30 pm Minotaur is based off of the Oblivion Minotaur using its assets. Almost all the Oblivion models used were modified to fit better. The wolf is a modified Morrowind asset. Changes are made to the textures or meshes themselves to better suit Daggerfall's style.
Thanks for clarifying this!

Concerning the original work made from scratch, would you consider releasing the sprites under a free software license for possible use in other projects (including not Daggerfall related)?
I've had a lot of sprite work stolen years ago when I was making mods in the Doom community and I've not been very keen on sharing my work since then. However if someone would like to use my stuff, just contact me and let me know what you intend on using it for, and I'm sure we can work something out.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Kamer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:57 pm I've had a lot of sprite work stolen years ago when I was making mods in the Doom community and I've not been very keen on sharing my work since then.
I'm sorry to hear that, I didn't want to make a proposition which would you be uncomfortable with.

Do you have any plans for more human characters along the lines of the Barbarians, Dark Brotherhood and Necromancers? These came out very good IMO, both true to the source material but higher resolution.

A bit off-topic, I have this little idea of maybe arranging a gallery of modern community/user-made remakes of characters from 90s sprite-based games. A while ago I posted here about the Demon Throne, which is a stand-alone Duke Nukem 3D total conversion. In its original form, it used some assets from Daggerfall, but the resident Duke4.net forums artist sebabdukeboss20 made some very cool recreations of those, alongside remade enemies from Hexen, Heretic and a few others. The same artist also created new sprites for The AMC Squad TC/game, with come characters from Blood, Strife, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Your Arena sprites would fit right in in this possible gallery of community art. (JIC, by "gallery" I mean making a post somewhere with a side-by-side comparison of original sprites and their remakes, with authors properly credited; not a gallery of free sprite sheets for everyone to download and use like Realm667 or something along those lines.)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Kamer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:57 pm
I've had a lot of sprite work stolen years ago when I was making mods in the Doom community and I've not been very keen on sharing my work since then. However if someone would like to use my stuff, just contact me and let me know what you intend on using it for, and I'm sure we can work something out.
Saw your interview the other day on Youtube TV. You're a TV personality now.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

MrFlibble wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 am Do you have any plans for more human characters along the lines of the Barbarians, Dark Brotherhood and Necromancers? These came out very good IMO, both true to the source material but higher resolution.
I wanna give all the vanilla classes unique sprites. Example: Changing monks from plate armor knights into actual monks. That way you can definitely tell who is who.
Besides that I definitely want to more variants of the newer enemies, and new types like pirates. I also remade that one guy from the early screenshots you might have seen horse riding around.
More humans and more mounted humans on the way.

Mounted Female Barbarian that I tested awhile back:
horse.gif
horse.gif (53.45 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
MrFlibble wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 am A bit off-topic, I have this little idea of maybe arranging a gallery of modern community/user-made remakes of characters from 90s sprite-based games. A while ago I posted here about the Demon Throne, which is a stand-alone Duke Nukem 3D total conversion. In its original form, it used some assets from Daggerfall, but the resident Duke4.net forums artist sebabdukeboss20 made some very cool recreations of those, alongside remade enemies from Hexen, Heretic and a few others. The same artist also created new sprites for The AMC Squad TC/game, with come characters from Blood, Strife, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Your Arena sprites would fit right in in this possible gallery of community art. (JIC, by "gallery" I mean making a post somewhere with a side-by-side comparison of original sprites and their remakes, with authors properly credited; not a gallery of free sprite sheets for everyone to download and use like Realm667 or something along those lines.)
I mean, sure. Can't hurt. Maybe we could talk more about this.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Kamer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:44 pm I wanna give all the vanilla classes unique sprites. Example: Changing monks from plate armor knights into actual monks. That way you can definitely tell who is who.
Besides that I definitely want to more variants of the newer enemies, and new types like pirates.
Aww yiss, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Amazing mod, I think in a world as massive as Daggerfall more enemies increase the immersion. These sprites are super high quality and in many cases better then many of the original enemies but I will add that I think for Daggerfall enemies quantity may be preferred over quality simply because if there would be enough enemies to start having enemies in only certain regions, climates, and seasons, it would increase the immersion and make the world more immersive.

I love this mod and for those who may end up making enemy expansions following this, 1: make it compatible with this mod as eventually there could be a mega mod that is a compilation of this enemy mod and future ones by different modders, and 2: maybe have a couple of the enemies be found only in exclusive climates. Maybe have a couple enemies only appear in the desert or mountains. I’m thinking if the Daggerfall communities’ enemy expansion mods are built to be compatible with one another then that would gradually open up the door to location-specific enemies.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Kab, wrote u on Nexus but figured out that it might be ok to write u in this thread as well, will just copy/paste it here:
Hi, I like this mod and Im considering to attempt of upscaling/remake of the monsters in HD so the DREAM users can use it as well.
Do you please have a list of the mobs which are actually used in the game? I just quickly skimmed thru the GitHub files and I think not all mobs are used.
It would help me to only focus on the mobs which matter. Thank you and be well! :)

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:05 pm Hi Kab, wrote u on Nexus but figured out that it might be ok to write u in this thread as well, will just copy/paste it here:
Hi, I like this mod and Im considering to attempt of upscaling/remake of the monsters in HD so the DREAM users can use it as well.
Do you please have a list of the mobs which are actually used in the game? I just quickly skimmed thru the GitHub files and I think not all mobs are used.
It would help me to only focus on the mobs which matter. Thank you and be well! :)
Sorry for never replying. I know you already got with me on Discord. I've been away from DFU for about a month and a half.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I'm playing with your mod and Vanilla Enhanced, everything works fine, but I've encountered Dremora Churds in a few dungeons and they're really tiny (sorry, haven't taken a screenshot of this yet -- at first I assumed this was the intended effect). But looking at the official mod screenshots I gather that they are apparently supposed to be about the same height as other humanoid enemies? I haven't yet tried turning off Vanilla Enhanced to see if anything changes. Can I use the console to let's say turn off all other mods, start a new test character and spawn a Churd to check if it looks normal without other mods running?

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

If I remember correctly, that's an issue with Vanilla Enhanced. I believe it was discussed previously on the Nexus page.