Learnin to mod DFU.

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Syl

Learnin to mod DFU.

Post by Syl »

Greets!

I'm thinkin about editin a lil bit of data, and slowly but surely learnin the way mod creation works. And for now it's only to tinker with details, like changin the range of weapons/hits, tired of bein bitten by rats three meters away from me. Should i use the unity editor for that, and does it work well on linux?

That's all folks, and grats to all the creators of that wonderful game! :D

Jay_H

Re: Learnin to mod DFU.

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :) I've moved your topic to the Modder Discussion section.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Okokok, cheers! :)

tmsbrg

Post by tmsbrg »

Check the resources in this forum. There's a "Modding Tutorials" sticky at the top. I haven't got any modding experience yet but it looks like a good comprehensive tutorial.
Syl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:43 amShould i use the unity editor for that, and does it work well on linux?
Should be yes on both. You can download the Unity editor and the Daggerfall source code and then open the Daggerfall project and follow the tutorial I linked above.

Good luck & happy hacking ;)

Syl

Post by Syl »

Thxs, first steps will be to manage the installation of unity and the DFU mod builder... Luckily, got a lot of spare time. ;)

Syl

Post by Syl »

OK, unity hub is installed, but no daggerfall template. How do i integrate the daggerfall source code as a new project?

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy »

You will need to follow the link to the source code and either download it or setup a git repo that you can pull to. Since it seems you are quite new to this I'd suggest the first option for now. A lot less work and way fewer things that can go wrong. Make sure you have Unity 2019.4.40f1 installed from Unity Hub as well.

Once it is downloaded, unzip the contents somewhere and open up Unity Hub. At the top-right there is a dropdown menu for 'Open'. Select the option 'Add Project From Disk' and navigate to the root of your newly downloaded source folder then press 'Add Folder'. After this it will setup a new Unity project and begin the rather lengthy process of importing all assets and compiling the code. After Unity has started up go to the top menu and select 'File->Open Scene'. Navigate to the 'Scenes' folder and select the file 'DaggerfallUnityStartup'. Once this has loaded you can press the play button to begin playing the game from within the editor.

VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure you have installed Unity version 2019.4.40f1 !!! This is the version of Unity that DFU is currently built for and for a variety of reasons I don't feel like getting into it is also the version you should be using to test and develop mods with until such a time as DFU upgrades as well. DO NOT USE OLDER OR NEWER VERSIONS. You can have multiple versions of Unity installed at the same time so don't worry if you already downloaded a different version. Just navigate to 'Installs' from Unity Hub and be sure to install 2019.4.40f1 LTS. Unity will figure out the rest for the most part.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sluggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:33 pm VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure you have installed Unity version 2019.4.40f1 !!!
Hmm, I run 2019.4.28f1, and I believe that's the recommended current version for DFU.

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:04 am
Sluggy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:33 pm VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure you have installed Unity version 2019.4.40f1 !!!
Hmm, I run 2019.4.28f1, and I believe that's the recommended current version for DFU.
Well, you should be using the version of Unity that matches the DFU build. But presumably anyone starting out with moding now would be switching to the latest release of DFU which recommends 2019.4.401f

Syl

Post by Syl »

Okokok, installed version 2019.4.40f1. Had a short overview, but haven't seen any weapons data, only their scripts. Hit chances and ranges could only be tweaked from them?