Modding Video Series 1: "Locked Loot Containers", From Start To Finish

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Magicono43

Modding Video Series 1: "Locked Loot Containers", From Start To Finish

Post by Magicono43 »

I decided to start a (hopefully) ongoing series of videos where I will be working on DFU mods, basically from start to finish. I mention in the introduction that I'm mostly doing this for myself, to hopefully better motivate myself and create a routine where I will focus on working on modding for at the very least a block of time while recording, and keep myself accountable this way.

But I figure it would make the accountability part more effective by making these recordings public, for potentially educational purposes in some way, or maybe even critique, or for those crazy people who might find this sort of thing entertaining.

If any of those might sound appealing to you in some way, then here is the first part of this planned to be ongoing series, thanks.

Here is my Github profile: https://github.com/magicono43

Here is the repo link for this mod: https://github.com/magicono43/DFU-Mod_L ... Containers

Last edited by Magicono43 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Magicono43

Re: Started A Video Series On DFU Mod Making, Start To Finish

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is Part.2 where I talk about:
- The basics of using Git and Github to back-up and version control your mod.
- Problem solving mentality I use when first starting a mod and what needs to be worked on.
- Very basic use of Event Handlers in mods with the DFU code-base.

I also got a very cool comment that apparently this video helped dispel the illusion of "mysticism" from the modding process, which is definitely one of the goals of this series.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

This is great; I thought about doing this at one point while I worked on my mods. But, if you haven't ensure to cover mod permission use.

If people start taking tons of code from other mods without checking, the mod authors will probably get frustrated, and there can be an issue of them revoking permissions and the mod disappearing after people get into it.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:15 pm This is great; I thought about doing this at one point while I worked on my mods. But, if you haven't ensure to cover mod permission use.

If people start taking tons of code from other mods without checking, the mod authors will probably get frustrated, and there can be an issue of them revoking permissions and the mod disappearing after people get into it.
Yeah, I'll try to cover that topic if I remember. I'm really not too well versed on the whole topic there, but I'll try to make it clear. Glad you like the idea of the series!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

It is pretty straight forward, especially if they use Nexus as their main hosting point.

Nexus itself will clearly ask the modder to label what permissions the mod has for others.

If there isn't a clear marking/explanation by the mod developer, the basic assumption is there is no rights or permissions to use it in any form. At that point, the person wanting to resuse the mod in anyway, even if it is a basic conversation to a newer engine update, they need to contact the mod author and get recorded proof of some type they can do what they want with it.

Outside that, not much else to know. Just ensure to communicate with the mod author if they have not provided a specific outline for what their permission use is already on the mod or hosting area and clear it with them.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is Part.3 where I talk about:
- Addressing a viewer comment in the previous part.
- The concept of breaking things down into smaller more digestible pieces.
- Checking for the "dungeon type" of the currently entered dungeon.

It occurred to me after recording that "Recursion" is apparently not the correct term for breaking things down into smaller pieces. I'm pretty sure this was the term used in the example I give, and I'm not sure what the singular term is for this process, but hopefully I get the idea across well enough anyway.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is Part.4 where I talk about:
- Addressing a viewer comment in the previous part.
- Short Talk About About Mod Permissions And Crediting Others.
- Finding loot-pile objects in current scene, putting those into a list/array, then looping through that array to do something.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is Part.5 where I talk about:
- Addressing comments in the previous part.
- Adding Custom GameObject That Will Be Used Later On.
- Registering Custom Activations For New Object.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is Part.6 where I:
- Add Some Parameters And Fields To Custom Object Previously Made.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

This is cool stuff man :) I'm going to start watching these even if I probably know most of it already, gotta feed the algorithm.

May I suggest you change the title of this thread to the title of the video series? Not that the current one isn't descriptive but I think it would draw more attention that way. And maybe someone could pin it (apologies if it is already, can't check while typing this), it's a good introduction to what Daggerfall Unity modding really is.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt