Mods as modules

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Mods as modules

Post by jayhova »

I was thinking about the differences between a game like Neverwinter Nights vs Daggerfall. One of the things that is very different about NWN is the notion of the adventure Module. What is a module? Could we have adventure modules in Daggerfall Unity? How? What is the difference between a quest and a module?

I hope to answer both of these questions.
  1. A module is a collection of assets gathered together to form an adventure that is self-encapsulated.
  2. I believe so
  3. You would install a module as a mod. That mod might depend on you having other mods installed.
  4. A quest uses assets already present in Daggerfall. A module would likely have quest elements but would also contain assets to support those quest elements.
Let me describe a possible module we'll call "Road to Wayrest". For the duration of the module fast travel is disabled. The quest starts in a village not far from Wayrest (let us say an hours walk in real-time). There is a road going to Wayrest. Your character walks along the road to Wayrest and encounters things along that road. Perhaps, you come across a troop of Imperial guards who enlist your aid. Perhaps, as part of helping them, you gain a reputation or have crimes you are wanted for pardoned. You perhaps help the troop secure a location say a ruined fort, tower, etc. Maybe you need to retrieve a particular item in the dungeon inside the tower. Finally you get back to Wayrest and deliver the MacGuffin to the plot device. Hooray!

So here we have an outdoor adventure. There are not a lot of those in Daggerfall. There might be a need to install mods such as a mod that disables fast travel during particular quests. Perhaps you would need to install a pack of assets that can be used with modules. perhaps the module will contain al the assets needed. As an example, let's say the tower you are looking for is a 15min walk from a large rock along the side of the road. Perhaps you would need to include that rock in the module or use a rock from another mod. These decisions would largely be up to the creator to decide.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.