[WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
numidium3rd

[WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Post by numidium3rd »

Future Shock Weapons - v1.0.1 Alpha

Introduction:
Do you like 90s FPSes? Are you interested in a mod that is neither lore-friendly nor well-balanced (yet)? Then look no further!
A friend of mine wanted to know if I could put Terminator: Future Shock's guns in Daggerfall Unity since both games use the same engine. It seemed like an interesting challenge so here it is. It was more work than I thought it would be for this silly mod but I had fun and learned a few things along the way.

Description:
Ten new, very unfitting, weapons have been added:
  • Uzi
  • M16
  • Shotgun
  • Machine Gun
  • Laser Rifle
  • Heavy Laser
  • Plasma Rifle
  • Heavy Plasma
  • Grenade Launcher
  • RPG
All of them use the same "Firearm" item template that I added so you will get a different gun depending on the material of the gun. Higher level material = more powerful guns.

If you want to acquire one of these weapons then look for an axe in either loot piles or stores (it's a placeholder graphic, my talent for pixel art is lacking admittedly). The tooltip will tell you what kind of gun it is, if any. They all have infinite ammo for now but they deteriorate with use so you will need to repair them like any other weapon.

Future Plans:
  • Projectile weapons
  • Custom paper doll graphics for each weapon
  • Enemies that use the new weapons
  • A quest that explains all this so it makes a modicum of sense (maybe?)
2022_10_10_20_57_59.jpg
2022_10_10_20_57_59.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
How To Use:
  1. You must have an install of Terminator: Future Shock handy. The game is abandonware so you should be able to find one online.
  2. In the mod settings, set the directory to the GAMEDATA folder and make sure there's a "\" or "/" at the end of the path depending on your OS. For example: C:\futureshock\GAMEDATA\ for Windows or /home/futureshock/GAMEDATA/ for unix-based systems. NOTE: The string length is limited so you will need to move the GAMEDATA folder to a short path similar to the ones I specified in the examples.
  3. Remember to use a separate save file. If you save with one of the new items in your inventory and then de-activate the mod, the game won't know what to do with the custom items. However you do not need to start a new game.
  4. Run DFU with the mod enabled. If it fails to find the path then it will display a prompt on load. If it fails for some other reason then it won't be readily apparent. I recommend checking Player.log for errors after first run to make sure it's working.
Technical Notes:
This mod will write a few files to disk in your Future Shock GAMEDATA folder. This is only so that DFU's CFA image reader can digest them. It's for the sake of a workaround, don't be alarmed.

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/411

Changelog:
-Fixed issue with weapons drawing behind horses/carriages
-Added projectile weapons
-Added bullet impact animations
Last edited by numidium3rd on Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

BadLuckBurt

Re: [WIP] Future Shock Weapons

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Terminator: Dragon Break - c0da makes it canon :lol:

It's not really my cup of tea but cool to see this works nonetheless. As for the quest, Terminators already time travel so they might as well hop a dimension or two :D
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Haha, I expected someone to do it :) I wonder why Bethesda did not come up with FS Easter eggs in DF in the first place.

mickio1

Post by mickio1 »

Do these counts as bows when it comes to Archery proficiency and things like that? I was actually looking for a mod that added firearms to daggerfall (I was more thinking along the lines of hand cannons and flintlocks though lol) and this seems like its a damn good start.

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

mickio1 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:00 am Do these counts as bows when it comes to Archery proficiency and things like that?
In terms of proficiency, yes. Your chance to hit and skill increases are all handled by archery. Behind the scenes they're actually melee weapons (staves) but that's just to avoid the annoying "you have no arrows" message popping up when it isn't relevant.
mickio1 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:00 am I was actually looking for a mod that added firearms to daggerfall (I was more thinking along the lines of hand cannons and flintlocks though lol) and this seems like its a damn good start.
I could pretty easily re-purpose some of this mod's code for something like that. It's just that making the art assets for such a mod would be outside my skill set. I have a much easier time cracking a file format than trying to draw an animation. :lol:

thenameisthegame

Post by thenameisthegame »

Really impressed by this! Am dedicating a character to a playthrough using only Hand-to-Hand, Bows... and GUNS. All the guns.~

I did encounter two strange issues. I can't explain why I'm having all the animated sprites for bullet hits, grenades and explosions as plain red (tried a lot of things to prevent that from happening), but everything else works pretty good! I might have encountered some exceptions being thrown after several sessions saved and reloaded over the course of that one playthrough where Lootable Villagers gets disabled as a result (somehow), but other than that it's a fun mod to play with alone or with many other mods!

So after failing at fixing my issues with everything exploding red and Lootable Villagers compatibility on my end, I got bored and felt like trying my hand at turning those placeholder axes into their respective weapons. Against my expectations (I wasn't really confident, doing this for the first time), I managed to pull it off with the Uzi, and feel like I could do the 9 others too!

Let me know if you wanna see ''the goods''.

I didn't modify your files and besides I don't know how to work .dfmod stuff, but I figured ''if I can just find the id for all of them and make StreamingAssets pngs and xmls, it should work!'' And work it did.

EDIT3: M16, Shotgun and Machine Gun done also!

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying it.
thenameisthegame wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 pm I can't explain why I'm having all the animated sprites for bullet hits, grenades and explosions as plain red (tried a lot of things to prevent that from happening), but everything else works pretty good!
The bullet/projectile impact animations are all defined in the TEXTURE.### files in Future Shock's GAMEDATA folder. I'd first check to make sure those files are there. If so then maybe you have different versions of those files. I might have to do a checksum or something in the future to verify the install.
thenameisthegame wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 pm I might have encountered some exceptions being thrown after several sessions saved and reloaded over the course of that one playthrough where Lootable Villagers gets disabled as a result (somehow)...
Ah, mod conflicts. Unfortunate but not unexpected. I'll see if there's anything I can do about that.

thenameisthegame

Thanks for info on the texture files! I'll see what I can do for those, maybe find replacements if need be.
numidium3rd wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:53 am
thenameisthegame wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 pm I might have encountered some exceptions being thrown after several sessions saved and reloaded over the course of that one playthrough where Lootable Villagers gets disabled as a result (somehow)...
Ah, mod conflicts. Unfortunate but not unexpected. I'll see if there's anything I can do about that.
What I noticed, even if the games loaded don't throw exceptions, Lootable Villagers will still never ''happen'' if villagers are killed with the Future Shock Weapons weaponry but villagers will still spawn a corpse or enemy if attacked with any Daggerfall weapons instead.

Here's what it looks like in the playerlog for when I do get exceptions (and Lootable Villagers ceases to function entirely)

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FutureShock.FutureShockWeapons.SaveLoadManager_OnLoad (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Serialization.SaveData_v1 saveData) [0x00025] in <f3b18eb078bc414bbe069f119cb8ed19>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void_SaveData_v1(DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Serialization.SaveData_v1)
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Serialization.SaveLoadManager.RaiseOnLoadEvent (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Serialization.SaveData_v1 saveData) [0x00007] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Serialization.SaveLoadManager+<LoadGame>d__112.MoveNext () [0x00735] in <173b5088bd2041d4b028be1f9578885c>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00026] in <85d1d3e7744a4a47b5f51883bf40bba2>:0 

(Filename: <f3b18eb078bc414bbe069f119cb8ed19> Line: 0)
The only other change I've noticed using one of the Future Shock Weapons' guns is the disabling of ratial and weapon proficiency overide from the Physical Combat And Armor Overhaul mod.

Code: Select all

Removed override for formula CalculateProficiencyModifiers provided by PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul because signature doesn't match (expected System.Func`3[DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntity,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Items.DaggerfallUnityItem,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Formulas.FormulaHelper+ToHitAndDamageMods] and got System.Func`3[DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntity,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Items.DaggerfallUnityItem,PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul.PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul+ToHitAndDamageMods]). 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)

Removed override for formula CalculateRacialModifiers provided by PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul because signature doesn't match (expected System.Func`4[DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntity,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Items.DaggerfallUnityItem,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.PlayerEntity,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Formulas.FormulaHelper+ToHitAndDamageMods] and got System.Func`4[DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.DaggerfallEntity,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Items.DaggerfallUnityItem,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.PlayerEntity,PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul.PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul+ToHitAndDamageMods]). 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 39)
Another minor observation I found is, while the weapons themselves can be enchanted, they don't adopt the name given to them at the Enchanter. Nothing major, but I sure can't wait to weild a ''Holy Machine Gun'' in name as well as purpose!

What's great though is that almost all the enchantments put on them seem to work too! Anything that is ''On Strike'' doesn't though. Perhaps because the way the hit/damage detection in the first place isn't considered a DFU ''strike'' for Future Shock Weapons' weaponery? That might partially explain the behaviors with the villagers with Lootable Villager mod on. But at this point, from ''my end of things'', that's speculation at best~

EDIT: So I've tried 8 ''alternative sets of GAMEDATA'', every time I made sure to delete everything from there (including the created files by the mod on load) of the 8 sets:

1 worked identical to what I have right now (red explosions issue)
6 gave me the same red explosions and sound screeching issues
1 gave me the red explosions, the sound screeshing AND red weapons in first person mode.

I don't know how much deeper to dig to find good uncorrupted or useable files; I know I can't use my copy of TES:Arena for anything since I can't convert floppies, so if all the abandonware sites ''abandon us still'' down the line, we're doomed!

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

thenameisthegame wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:30 pm EDIT: So I've tried 8 ''alternative sets of GAMEDATA'', every time I made sure to delete everything from there (including the created files by the mod on load) of the 8 sets:

1 worked identical to what I have right now (red explosions issue)
6 gave me the same red explosions and sound screeching issues
1 gave me the red explosions, the sound screeshing AND red weapons in first person mode.
:shock: I didn't know there were that many different editions of the game. If you're hearing screeching then that's the sounds not decrypting properly (Future Shock's sounds are encrypted for some reason). If the graphics are red rectangles then the graphics are missing. If the outlines of the graphics are preserved but they're solid red then that's a missing palette. I might be able to help - it's been a couple years but I believe I got my version of the game here: https://www.zombs-lair.com/terminator-double-pack. Grab the GAMEDATA folder from .\doublepack\Games\The Terminator - Future Shock after downloading.

thenameisthegame

I can't wait to try that one! It does seem pretty huge compared to all the other ver I got! ''Full versions'' were between 14 to 25mb, demos between 5 to 6mb (I got real desperate).

I've been meaning to ask too, for the purpose of weapon expertise (better chance to hit and doing more damage), would those guns fall under the same categories as those which they appear under for Forbidden Weaponry 'trait'?

Meaning, if I have any one of these as Forbidden Weaponry: Missile Weapon, Axe or Blunt Weapon... I can't equip the gun.

So would having Missile Weaponry, Axe and Blunt Weapon as ''Expertise in'' CONSIDERABLY enhance my hitting and damage dealing capabilities? (read: basically doing 3 stacks of bonus for the Firearm weapon)