Name one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
C0rg1

Re: Name one thing that would make Daggerfall’s world better

Post by C0rg1 »

I previously made suggestions for "city overhaul" and "open ocean" either one would create a better feeling of immersion.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Working and expanded weather system (more weathers, smooth transitions) local biome sounds, expanded sound system (objects can have sounds, NPCs can have sounds)

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:26 pm Working and expanded weather system (more weathers, smooth transitions) local biome sounds, expanded sound system (objects can have sounds, NPCs can have sounds)
Yes I agree, and I would add Spring and Autumn seasons as well.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats whole new beast unleashed tho :D u would need tons of new sprites or models... but it would be nice indeed. At least the real grass simulates all seasons like this.

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

Just one....? :shock: :shock: :shock:

If I had to choose, recoding the executable so that you could add terrain onto the existing map. Imagine a project to extend High Rock to it full size. Add Skyrim and Elseweyr and Cyrodil and Morrowind and the other provinces one at a time at the scale of Daggerfall. With an option to add a continental shelf, so you could swim out a distance. Ot have a ship or boat do the same.

After that, then you could get into all the things that would be needed to make that world live and breathe.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Commerce. People who have a purpose in life and places to go and things to do.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

jayhova wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:23 pm Commerce. People who have a purpose in life and places to go and things to do.
That would make almost any game in an immersive sim environment better. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to implement properly, even for AAA developers. They can create the appearance of commerce, but the interactions are mostly smoke and mirrors. The only game that comes close to the real thing in my experience is Helium Rain.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I like how Daggerfall’s world design philosophy opens up the door to a living and breathing world. Realistically most world events would be scripts in the background and not live events but the world dynamically having events that affect it would really increase the sense of immersion and presence. And I think improving the atmosphere with more sounds would be great as well. To me Arena had a better atmosphere. Daggerfall has a great atmosphere as well but Arena has an even better atmosphere where the world just has brighter colors but still a sense of realism and weight, town buildings are closely cramped together, and dungeons actually resemble real places that once served a purpose in the world unlike Daggerfall’s Lego block dungeons. I love how Arena has towers in the wilderness that represent many actual medieval “castles” that were just tall towers. Definitely seems the Arena and Daggerfall devs had more knowledge of medieval times then future devs, like many old RPGs they have a “smart” feeling to them. Considering that supposedly many Dungeons and Dragons players (many early PCRPG devs) have a higher IQ then non-players, that kind of fits why 80s-early 2000s RPGs feel a lot “smarter” and more complex then modern RPGs and other genres

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

nicksta1310 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:18 am That would make almost any game in an immersive sim environment better. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to implement properly, even for AAA developers. They can create the appearance of commerce, but the interactions are mostly smoke and mirrors. The only game that comes close to the real thing in my experience is Helium Rain.
A food economy would be a good place to start. I have long said that the cities lacking river valleys has been a source of a lack of verisimilitude. Ancient cites grew to the size of their available food & water and no more. Cites must be low-lying enough to have wells or be fed by some other source of fresh water. Huge ancient cities such as Rome built aqueducts to supply fresh water by the millions of gallons a day. Before this could be done there had to be water enough for a settlement to be big enough to conceive of creating such a huge undertaking. This is why large cities exist almost exclusively in or around large river valleys. A small town might exist around a mine but it is the mine that pays for the water to be brought in by mule train. A bath in such a place might be an extraordinary luxury.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

jayhova wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:09 am
nicksta1310 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:18 am That would make almost any game in an immersive sim environment better. Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to implement properly, even for AAA developers. They can create the appearance of commerce, but the interactions are mostly smoke and mirrors. The only game that comes close to the real thing in my experience is Helium Rain.
A food economy would be a good place to start. I have long said that the cities lacking river valleys has been a source of a lack of verisimilitude. Ancient cites grew to the size of their available food & water and no more. Cites must be low-lying enough to have wells or be fed by some other source of fresh water. Huge ancient cities such as Rome built aqueducts to supply fresh water by the millions of gallons a day. Before this could be done there had to be water enough for a settlement to be big enough to conceive of creating such a huge undertaking. This is why large cities exist almost exclusively in or around large river valleys. A small town might exist around a mine but it is the mine that pays for the water to be brought in by mule train. A bath in such a place might be an extraordinary luxury.
If someone would ever make a viable fantasy world generator (Daggerfall or not) then the generator using geography to determine town sizes would be ideal. For example it would be more likely for cities to be near rivers and areas with lots of natural resources whereas small towns would be in more sparse areas. Since Daggerfall’s world already is an uncondensed representation of a fantasy land, the next step for either mods or spiritual successors would be to have cuties and gowns be more logically placed