Spellbook problem

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kuriboh908

Spellbook problem

Post by Kuriboh908 »

This might have been solved before, but I'm having an issue that prevents me from seeing the spells in my spell-book (and using them) and the ones on sale at the Mage Guild. I checked another topic, that suggested removing the jumping spell from the save file, so I did; but I didn't notice any changes.
I wasn't sure I had installed DFU through DaggerfallGameFiles (apparently, this solves having unpached data) so I installed it, restarted DFU and "set the path to my Daggerfall game files". I tried again, to no avail. I even quickly created a new character, but no spells appeared on their spell-book.

Do I need to uninstall and install DFU again, from scratch? Do I have to make a new character? I mean I've only been on this one for like a couple hours. I should also add that I'm using a few mods (R&R, R%RI, Mostly Magic Mod and Penwick Papers, among others) and that disabling them seems to solve the problem.

Just in case, I attached the safe file, with the jumping spell already removed.

Thanks in advance :DD

SAVE6.zip
(609.74 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Interkarma

Re: Spellbook problem

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, thanks for posting save. :)

I loaded your save in a clean, unmodded install of DFU, and spellbook is all working OK. This would suggest one of your mods is behind this problem.

spells.png
spells.png (118.34 KiB) Viewed 619 times

I'd recommend deleting your current install and setting up a fresh copy to new folders using the DaggerfallGameFiles steps again. Don't add any mods just yet. It also can't hurt to delete your settings.ini again to make sure nothing is left behind from the old install. Your saves will be safe in the persistent data path.

Once you've confirmed game is working normally without mods, restore them one at a time until you work out which mod is causing issue. Once you find the mod breaking spellbook, let author know so they can fix. They'll probably want a copy of save as well, or you can link them back here.

Protip: because DFU just unzips to a folder, you can unzip two copies - one to keep clean without mods and another one to mod. If something breaks in the modded setup, try opening save from the unmodded setup. This helps identify quickly if a mod is behind things, then you can shut down mods one at a time to isolate.

Good luck!

Kuriboh908

Post by Kuriboh908 »

Alright, so I was feeling kinda lazy, so I didn't delete my install or any of that. I jumped straight into the second paragraph's advice, and after testing for a while, it turns out Hotkey Bar conflicts with (Mostly)Magic Mod.
I enabled every mod except MMM and I could see my spellbook again. If I then enabled every mod but for Hotkey bar, I could also use my spell-book, plus casting and magic in general was much more interesting.

I guess I'll just play without the Hotkey Bar. But who should I contact, Hotkey Bar's author or MMM's author?

Irowolf13

Post by Irowolf13 »

Not sure who you should contact but my God are you a hero! I've been looking for weeks for a spell book fix and I have hockey and mmm. I tried a great many things to finally get here lol hopefully I'm not jumping the gun but I'm going to try disabling hot key now.