Pixel in Wrothgarian Mountains doesn't have a region

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
AllMyOwnTrash

Pixel in Wrothgarian Mountains doesn't have a region

Post by AllMyOwnTrash »

There's a pixel in the Wrothgarian Mountains that doesn't have a region assigned to it. Entering this lack of region drains your stamina rapidly, even when the game is paused. The pixel is west of Vandale. Image
Attachments
Bad Place.png
Bad Place.png (93.49 KiB) Viewed 605 times

Interkarma

Re: Pixel in Wrothgarian Mountains doesn't have a region

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

Fascinating! Can you please provide a save in or near the affected area (how to locate).

Can you please also confirm this still happens with no mods installed, and that you're using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles install method.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've run west from Vandale through and beyond the point shown in screenshot, and I've not encountered any issues in unmodded DFU setup via DaggerfallGameFiles.

A save would be very helpful, along with knowing how you setup the game. Cheers. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Mmmh I went to [660,23] and didn't experience anything unusual. As Interkarma said, we need more info :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

AllMyOwnTrash

Post by AllMyOwnTrash »

I can confirm that the problem exists without mods.

This save was made just east of the problematic area.
Attachments
SAVE17.7z
(210.79 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I loaded your save and progressed west into the next world cell, and still do not experience any problems. Using "tdbg", I'm in cell [660,23] and still in Wrothgarian Mountains.

screen1.png
screen1.png (459.36 KiB) Viewed 542 times

How did you setup the game? Did you install using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles or some other method? This is most likely an issue with bad game data.

If I can reproduce, I'll add handling to prevent issue. But I need to understand how to create problem in the first place. Cheers.

AllMyOwnTrash

Post by AllMyOwnTrash »

Switching to DaggerfallGameFiles worked. I guess it was just an issue with the steam version.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you! Confirmed in Steam release gamedata.

This is fixed in DaggerfallGameFiles or DaggerfallSetup using POLITIC.PAK Fix v2 by Uniblab. I've now added special handling for this issue in DFU when getting current region index.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 92c35f9f90

The special handling will patch known-bad index 105 back to 16 for Wrothgarian Mountains. It also adds an additional out of range check to clamp other bad values back to 0 (Alik'r Desert).

This at least won't crash the game any more, even if there are other spots like this we don't know about.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Will the clamping to 0 affect other data, like climates, fauna billboards, weather etc?

Not a problem if it does, I just figured I would ask in case I get any bug reports for Climates & Calories where people suddenly die of a heat stroke in the middle of the Wrothgarian Mountains :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

AFAIK this bad value is only in Wrothgarian Mountains, and that case is handled.

0 is a safety fallback for any unknown out of range values. It's either that or the game crashes. ;)