The Quest Prompt Thread

For all talk about quests. Creating, testing, bugs, and development progress.
Jay_H

Re: The Quest Prompt Thread

Post by Jay_H » Tue May 15, 2018 12:32 am

Yes. It only requires some start mechanism. I've created an entire quest line that I'm going to post over in Creator's Corner called the Perpetual Quests. They run in the background and occur roughly every 30 days, and range from ordinary events (stopping a robbery) to enormous (ending a plague).

A small example of this is the Cartographer quest system, which continually sends you on assignments to find lost locations in the game world on foot.

Another that I have planned but only made a little headway on is a different system, where after getting 100 reputation with a guild, you can send out for epic-scale quests, which will then be offered to you via letter.
**INDEFINITE HIATUS** Current priority list: 1. Writing new DFU quests; 2. Writing Archaeologist content; 3. Revamping classic DF quests. Only in free time, no guarantees made.

Kamer

Post by Kamer » Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 am

So i could trigger it with something like killing an animal? Also, could you have multiple quests at a time? Is there any limit to this?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H » Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am

So far there are only a few ways to trigger a quest.

1. The main quest intro at the start of the game
2. Asking for a quest from a noble, commoner, or guild member
3. Triggering a quest as a result of another quest. One quest action is "start quest ______," which allows you to begin one quest from another. I've used this in a limited sense so far; imagine if you take a dishonorable route in a Mages Guild quest and kill a meditating mage, but no one ever found out about it. You can run a "startquest penaltymg.txt", which sends you a letter 2 weeks later telling you you've been found guilty of murdering the member, and your guild reputation drops 20 points. That's the kind of thing that we can do to extend Daggerfall's utility beyond its ordinary bounds.

Interkarma has suggested that in the future it could be possible to use ordinary objects to relate to quests; for example, gathering any 5 berries rather than 5 quest-spawned berries and turning them in for a quest. That currently isn't possible, but it could be in the future.

There is no limit at all to how many quests can run. They're extremely lightweight, so as long as you aren't spawning thousands of monsters/items/text boxes/magic effects, quests should have almost no drain on system resources whatsoever.
**INDEFINITE HIATUS** Current priority list: 1. Writing new DFU quests; 2. Writing Archaeologist content; 3. Revamping classic DF quests. Only in free time, no guarantees made.