Are you excited or doubtful about Elder Scrolls 6?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Werewolf

Are you excited or doubtful about Elder Scrolls 6?

Post by Werewolf »

Of course Elder Scrolls 6 will never be Daggerfall or even Morrowind, but I have hopes that it’ll be an improvement over Skyrim. Seeing how Starfield looks to actually be more complex than Fallout 4 (Bethesda’s previous game) I have hope that ES6 will be more complex than Skyrim. After all, with games like Zelda Botw being pretty hardcore and leaving you to do whatever in any order being huge successes, it would be tone deaf for ES6 to be simpler than Skyrim. Skyrim came at a time when mobile gaming was getting popular and there was real worry that mobile gaming would replace traditional gaming, so it made sense from a business perspective to go in the direction it did. Nowadays a game like Zelda Botw where the player is thrown out into a big dangerous world to figure things out by themselves is highly popular and influential, so perhaps there will be a shift in design philosophy in ES6.

Of course “Franchise Original Sins” planted by Morrowind and blossomed by Skyrim will likely be present, such as the player being the destined chosen one despite Arena and Daggerfall reminding you that you’re nobody special, just someone in the right circumstances. I’m also doubtful that classes will return and you’ll rise up as guild leader out of nowhere with no actual effort. But I am hopeful that ES6 can at the least be an improvement over Skyrim in terms of depth. And I’m sure the game will be beautiful and the modders will create a more Elder Scrolls game then Bethesda themselves

Are you cautiously hopeful about ES6 like I am, or just cynical?

Some of my fondest memories of Zelda Botw are getting absolutely crushed by enemies and struggling just to stay alive early in the game. Modern gamers want a dangerous world where you can do anything, once again I will note that Skyrim came at the dawn of mobile gaming and there was a shift in game design philosophy for a while. Zelda Botw alone seems to have shifted the philosophy once again in a more positive direction. So I do have hopes for ES6. But this is still Bethesda...

Ralzar

Re: Are you excited or doubtful about Elder Scrolls 6?

Post by Ralzar »

Cynicism is pouring out of my ears. Or rather, indifference is :D

Maybe it will be good, but I have been a gamer for far too long to even bother watching videos about games in development. I can watch a trailer to get a feel for if is even worth taking a look at when it launches, but until the product is out (and usually I then give it a year or more to patch and get DLCs out) I generally do not consider it worth talking about.

The odds of Bethesda doing something even close to the huge changes needed for me to not be chronically annoyed while playing their games is unfortunately pretty unlikely when those games have been some of the most massive successes in recent gaming history. Bethesda is here to make money, and you do not do that by changing the winning recipe.
Basically, they might be adding some spice to their soup, but I want a steak :P

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I just hope that it just works. I'll show myself out. :mrgreen:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Because this is not relevant to Daggerfall Unity, I will move it to Community :)

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:55 pm Cynicism is pouring out of my ears. Or rather, indifference is :D

Maybe it will be good, but I have been a gamer for far too long to even bother watching videos about games in development. I can watch a trailer to get a feel for if is even worth taking a look at when it launches, but until the product is out (and usually I then give it a year or more to patch and get DLCs out) I generally do not consider it worth talking about.

The odds of Bethesda doing something even close to the huge changes needed for me to not be chronically annoyed while playing their games is unfortunately pretty unlikely when those games have been some of the most massive successes in recent gaming history. Bethesda is here to make money, and you do not do that by changing the winning recipe.
Basically, they might be adding some spice to their soup, but I want a steak :P
Modern Bethesda games are not the biggest successes in gaming. Fallout 4 and 76 are successful but not the biggest successes ever, Starfield seems to have a mixed reception pre-release, and while Skyrim is a gaming success story, it’s no Grand Theft Auto 5 or Minecraft. I actually feel that if Bethesda would take inspiration from Zelda Botw or Daggerfall then Elder Scrolls 6 would be more successful then it will actually be. Could you imagine if Elder Scrolls 6 would be a dangerous world and you could complete the main quest however you want, like Zelda Botw? There would be tons of positive talk of it. Or what if the game would use procedural generation and there would be hundreds or thousands of towns and dungeons like Daggerfall but with a AAA budget? Any game that would modernize Daggerfall’s unique concepts with a AAA budget would become inspirational and people would buy it just to see if it’s really that big. Bethesda could make their games be dangerous and massive and still highly successful, just look at Zelda Botw. Seems that corporate types who think people are morons helped dumb down Bethesda. But people DO want a dangerous world, again Zelda Botw is completely brutal early on yet it’s very successful and is also influential and cited as great game design. If you make a great game people will be fine with difficulty because they fall in love with the world and gameplay. But Bethesda corporate types seem to not understand that…

And speaking of Grand Theft Auto, that game is closer to a tabletop RPG then most RPGs, both modern and classic. Why? Because you can just kill random people, go anywhere on the map, ignore the main storyline, etc. Seeing how simplistic Daggerfall’s combat is while it has tons of deep mechanics and skills, the devs seemed far more interested in creating a digital tabletop where the computer is the DM then what would usually be defined as an RPG both back then and now. Tabletop RPGs have complex combat but Daggerfall puts little focus on that and instead focuses on tabletop elements that video games DON’T implement, like being able to do anything and go anywhere. The procedural nature of Daggerfall’s world and quests seems like the 1996 answer to emulating a DM that makes stuff on the fly. Could you imagine if someone would mod Daggerfall to have AI-generated quests? It’s possible and would be an update

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

I'm just hoping that the success of Elden Ring might light a fire under certain posteriors at Bethsoft. CRPGs can not be too 'console friendly' lest they suffer from poor mechanics and an utter lack of 'Your decisions matter in this world'.

Of course I'm equally hoping the Julian & Co can make Unreal Engine 5 shine in their spiritual successor to DF.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Dalebvr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:52 am I'm just hoping that the success of Elden Ring might light a fire under certain posteriors at Bethsoft. CRPGs can not be too 'console friendly' lest they suffer from poor mechanics and an utter lack of 'Your decisions matter in this world'.

Of course I'm equally hoping the Julian & Co can make Unreal Engine 5 shine in their spiritual successor to DF.
How does Elder Ring compare to Zelda Botw?

And I am very skeptical towards Wayward Realms but if it manages to even release then it’ll be a game that is sorely needed, it sounds like it’s intended to be a Daggerfall successor but with deeper and more complete mechanics, and the computer being a literal DM

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I expect it will be 100% aligned to what we expect from Bethesda.
Console focused, DLCs, basic story, basic graphics, same old engine, basic depth, huge issues at start and catering to casual retarded audience. Im not looking forward to it. It cant beat anything which is already here IMO, as they will not experiment with anything. Just the same old, no risks taken what so ever.

Also, they abandoned TES, thats not cool nor nice. They are just returning to rape it. My prediction. Bethesda skills are going down each year, they cant even create anything compared to Skyrim nowadays, let alone improve on it.

Starfield will kind of show us, what we can expect. I dont even believe TES6 will be singleplayer offline game.

So... meh.. but I will gladly be proven wrong.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:21 pm I expect it will be 100% aligned to what we expect from Bethesda.
Console focused, DLCs, basic story, basic graphics, same old engine, basic depth, huge issues at start and catering to casual retarded audience. Im not looking forward to it. It cant beat anything which is already here IMO, as they will not experiment with anything. Just the same old, no risks taken what so ever.

Also, they abandoned TES, thats not cool nor nice. They are just returning to rape it. My prediction. Bethesda skills are going down each year, they cant even create anything compared to Skyrim nowadays, let alone improve on it.

Starfield will kind of show us, what we can expect. I dont even believe TES6 will be singleplayer offline game.

So... meh.. but I will gladly be proven wrong.
Bethesda needs to improve their engine already, even Starfield, while appearing to have good graphics, still doesn’t hold up graphically to many other games

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yup, but I would be ok with not so stellar graphics, if the gameplay and the depth of the game was any good. But these get more shallow with every consequent release as well. I really hope Beth can turn things around, but I dont trust em anymore.