Automatic Attributes

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Koal

Automatic Attributes

Post by Koal »

A mod where your points are automatically used per level according to your playstyle / class without a menu popping up asking you to use your points.

Alderwood

Re: Automatic Attributes

Post by Alderwood »

Might be a good change for newbies, and it would simplify the decision making when leveling up. I think I would like to have the option of making the final confirmation or switching points around through. Might be possible if points could be allocated at will instead of having to choose all points immediately after the player meets the conditions.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

How about an automatic system the removes the leveling aspect of it, and instead, attributes are connected to skills, and the more you use the skill, the more the attribute goes up?

You could even make it immersive and have attributes slowly decline over periods of time, up to a certain percentage, when the player stops using those skills, until they use them again. At which point, they come back from their non-use debuff quicker.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Koal

Post by Koal »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:05 pm How about an automatic system the removes the leveling aspect of it, and instead, attributes are connected to skills, and the more you use the skill, the more the attribute goes up?

You could even make it immersive and have attributes slowly decline over periods of time, up to a certain percentage, when the player stops using those skills, until they use them again. At which point, they come back from their non-use debuff quicker.
I thought of that too, but with how Daggerfall decided who governs what skill, some of them don't make sense. Like the many langauge skills, Lockpicking, and medical, which all increase intelligence. Not unless the mod creator who take up my request were to make it so that we can tell the mod to increase difference stats. That way lockpicking thieves or medical using warrior won't gain INT when they don't use magic.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Well, this is where we get into a preference/personal taste issue.

At least for me, I feel this should be possible. What, was no warrior ever intelligent? In reality, some of the best warriors throughout history were also known for their level of intelligence, which is probably what also gave them the advantage over others at times.

For balance reason, I would want a mod by itself or an option in the proposed bod that also ties the effectiveness of your magic directly to your skill level, so high intelligent classes/builds aren't automatically amazing casters too. Instead, they could try to use magic all day because of their intelligence/mana pool, but they wouldn't really do any real damage or effectiveness that it would be worth it.

For me, I think intelligence should go up with use of skills like medical and social skills. Lockpicking should be dexterity in my mind, as real lock picking takes more dexterity and sensitivity than intelligence.

However, yes, it could be resolved by building in some mod setting system that allows the user to select what each skill contributes to attribute wise. Setup the array, assign each skill to a variable that represents the stat, and then tie it to the mod setting page using a drop down selection menu setting for each skill. I don't think it would be hard to construct logic wise, just time consuming.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Koal

Post by Koal »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:44 pm Well, this is where we get into a preference/personal taste issue.

At least for me, I feel this should be possible. What, was no warrior ever intelligent? In reality, some of the best warriors throughout history were also known for their level of intelligence, which is probably what also gave them the advantage over others at times.

For balance reason, I would want a mod by itself or an option in the proposed bod that also ties the effectiveness of your magic directly to your skill level, so high intelligent classes/builds aren't automatically amazing casters too. Instead, they could try to use magic all day because of their intelligence/mana pool, but they wouldn't really do any real damage or effectiveness that it would be worth it.

For me, I think intelligence should go up with use of skills like medical and social skills. Lockpicking should be dexterity in my mind, as real lock picking takes more dexterity and sensitivity than intelligence.

However, yes, it could be resolved by building in some mod setting system that allows the user to select what each skill contributes to attribute wise. Setup the array, assign each skill to a variable that represents the stat, and then tie it to the mod setting page using a drop down selection menu setting for each skill. I don't think it would be hard to construct logic wise, just time consuming.
I mean Intelligence raises Magicka. To a warrior who knows Medical who does't use magic will find that magicka increase to be useles. Not unless in the future we get a mod where warriors can use Magicka as a form of rage to enhance their physical attacks or use special physical attacks. So yea, a mod where you can tell what attributes to raise upon leveling.