Help me make players float in my Quest mod

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
adamatom

Help me make players float in my Quest mod

Post by adamatom »

Hi, I'm currently working on a quest mod that takes the player into a random dungeon in the Abibon-Gora region.

I have discovered that one of the dungeons in the quest can take the player to an area where, if they don't have a levitate spell or a potion, they will be effectively locked in. Normally this would be OK, as everyone makes sure to have levitate just in case of something like this, or they can use the console command "tcl" to get out, but this quest is supposed to be done as the very first thing on a fresh character after privateers hold/random dungeon start and I don't want people to be forced to cheat to complete the quest.

I thought of an idea though. To make the quest supply the player with an item with the levitation property, so they can use it when the time comes. Perhaps I can tie it to the quest giver with a "message:" prompt, where they advise using it as they went in previously and noticed a bunch of corpses down a large hole.

Can you give potions as quest items? Since I cant find the item codes for them I tried a few things and nothing is working. Can you give enchanted weapons and armor as rewards? Specific enchantments/potions I mean. Just giving a random item in the potion class/weapon/armor/clothing isn't good enough.

I'm a bit of a noob at this... Not using any quest editing software, as I'm just working on someone elses mod and figuring things out as I go.

QBN:

Item _potions_ potion_of_levitation

and then later

_begin_ task:
start timer _begin2_
get item _potions_

Everything worked perfectly before I added the item to QBN and the begin task. I tried potion_levitation also didn't work.

Maybe it's not possible?

Sappho20

Re: Help me make players float in my Quest mod

Post by Sappho20 »

Hi,
I wonder what project it could be? ;)

I believe that the levitation potion is:

Code: Select all

Item _potion_ potion key 228890
I highly recommend using the Daggerfall Quest Editor by TheLacus. It has saved me from a world of pain more times than I can count! It can pick up on the slightest error and help solve problems :D

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/39

adamatom

Post by adamatom »

Hi there! :lol:

Thanks. I need to learn how to use it. Maybe when I get a free day I'll try and figure it out.

Where did you get the item code for that? With the Quest Editor tool you linked? It's working in game as I wanted, so I assume you can put anything into the game through the quest system, as long as there's an item entry for it.

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

Hi,

The quest editor does not give item numbers, I believe you can find them on the Daggerfall Github. There is another mod with traveling merchants that sell levitation potions and I went to that.
However, playing around with the quest editor as it guesses what you are trying to write does help to reveal what things you can do.
I believe most items can be added through the quest editor but there are limitations to it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I have the potion numbers available on this page: https://github.com/JayH2971/dfunity-que ... -Items.txt

All nameable items are in the first section, such as snake_venom or harpy_feather. Everything after that uses the item class and subclass indices.

adamatom

Post by adamatom »

Brilliant thanks a lot. This helps a ton, as I wanted to add a few unique items throughout the progression of the quest.

While I'm at it, can I ask another question?

This is using the Enemy Expansion mod.

It seems when loading a save, spawning enemies via tasks can result in the enemy defaulting to a Rat (I'm assuming the first entry of an enemy in the list). Restarting the game and loading has varying results, sometimes it is the correct enemy, sometimes the Rat again. I think this has something to do with whether or not the task has executed yet, as in _delay_ timer has started and loading after it has started results in an error and Rat spawning. It could be that just having the overall quest start and loading a save mid-quest results in the error too but I'm not sure.

This is a kind of an issue.

I read on another post that spawning enemies via tasks is the wrong way to do it. Is there some better way?

Example:

Foe _foe_ is 1 Ice_Golem

_delay2_ task:
create foe _foe_ every 0 minutes 1 times with 100% success
create foe _foe_ every 5 minutes 1 times with 100% success
start timer _delay3_

They be spawning as rats …ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ Also some other enemies do this, so it's not unique to the Ice Golem.

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

I'm not sure of another way, beyond tasks. But you could sort of check this by making the timer start another timer task with a count of 0:

Clock _timer1_ 00:00
so you could have:

_timer_ task:
start timer _delay1_

_timer1_ task:
create foe _foe_ every 0 minutes 1 times with 100% success
create foe _foe_ every 5 minutes 1 times with 100% success
This way the task would be instant and in theory you could see if the rat appears or not...