[0.15.3] Incorrect dialogue in C0B00Y01

MrFlibble

[0.15.3] Incorrect dialogue in C0B00Y01

Post by MrFlibble »

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but it is my understanding that the quests have been incorporated into DFU's code and thus modifying the original QBN/QRC files cannot fix this.

This is a long-known problem with the Temple quest The Heretic (C0B00Y01), which has never been fixed. You're tasked finding more information about the alleged prophet in their home town, and can ask townspeople about him/her, but this will inevitably result in a cryptic reply:
2023_08_08_13_07_38.jpg
2023_08_08_13_07_38.jpg (178.16 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
It turns out that this line is actually the quest giver's reply which is used in the case you fail this quest, as correctly attested by the UESP Wiki entry. I have used Donald Tipton's Template tool to decompile this quest (which received some other fixes in the DFQFIX patch, but this one has not been addressed, somehow), and the root of the problem lies in the wrong message ID (1009), which is assigned twice to the failed quest greeting and the dialogue lines used for asking about the prophet:

Code: Select all

QuestorPostfailure:  [1009]
I have nothing to say to thee, heretic of _prophet_.

QuestorPostfailure:  [1009]
_prophet_ may be the greatest leader to come out of __tavern_.
<--->
_prophet_ spends %g3 time in %g3 room in _prophouse_, writing.
<--->
_prophet_ hasn't ever gotten on well with __qgiver_.
Further down, the quest setup assigns this message ID to the info about the prophet:

Code: Select all

Person _prophet_ face 1 group Local_4.0 anyInfo QuestorPostfailure
This bug is easily fixed by giving the dialogue (which, to the best of my knowledge, has not been documented anywhere so far) a different message ID and then pointing the dialogue entry to it. I did that for the DOS version:
fix-vanilla.png
fix-vanilla.png (152.05 KiB) Viewed 2295 times

Jay_H

Re: [0.15.3] Incorrect dialogue in C0B00Y01

Post by Jay_H »

Thanks for the explanation, it makes things a lot easier. I'm changing the 1009 to 1005, which is rumors during quest; 1006 is rumors after quest, which would be incongruent with that quest's state.

I'll upload this fix today.