(Request/Suggestion) Custom books

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
C0rg1

(Request/Suggestion) Custom books

Post by C0rg1 »

I'm not a programmer so this is only a suggestion/request.

Is there a mod that lets you insert or modify existing books in DaggerFall? The idea is to have a directory with books in a plain text format. Header information would include general price, availability in shops, loot drop percentage, etc. Then followed by book text. This lets anyone insert anything. Canterbury tales as a book set? Sure! Or all ten volumes about a certain argonian maid? Perhaps a players guide? I'm sure simple b&w images with its own subdirectory with the same name as the document would be a must for beastiaries. Does such a universal book mod exist?
Last edited by C0rg1 on Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: Custom book mod request.

Post by Hazelnut »

Adding books in mods is pretty simple, it's probably harder to find the right post in the forums as to how.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

C0rg1

Post by C0rg1 »

Good news! in the latest version of Daggerfall Unity, actually including the last version, I found a "book" directory.
-
Its under the StreamingAssets/Text/Books and the files appear to be in a plain text format. Most of the information seems to be easy to understand in what is provided and could be used as a guide to the basic format.
-
The largest file in data size appears to have a 4k word count without spaces. This could be an indicator of a book size limit. Note a average novel has a 50k word count.
-
My question is what the line WhenVarSet: means and what it can be set as. It would be great if the percentage of 'rareity' could be set. For example there would be a 3 book set where the first is rare but the last is extremely common.
-
So what short stories or books would you guys want to add to Daggerfall?

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

My Bards and Balladeers mod will be adding 24 new books, each with one of the ballads written for the bards in the game but never used. I was having problems getting these new books to work properly with the old system of adding books (they would only have the title page but not the content page/s for some reason - couldn't figure it out), so hopefully I can get this new method to work better.

The WhenVarSet field seems to be to do with setting variables (probably by reading the book idk), for example, BOK00113-LOC has "LiftedCurse" in this field.

Alderwood

Post by Alderwood »

I think my ideal book mod would basically look like the LostBooks mod I enjoy for Minecraft.